Lets see your Dog Bed setup.

SprintMoto

Backstory we have a 14 year old girl Kestrel. GSP, mixed with boxer, Golden retriever, all of em. Shes 60 pounds, full of life but getting older, back legs are getting weaker. She's actual most well behaved dog in the United States IMO. (Exhibit A)

In the BMW she'll sit in the trunk in her bed and doesn't move a muscle we can drive 3-4 hours and not a peep from her she just lays down. But when she's in the van she doesn't like the vibration, random creaks and cracks, and she gets a bit panic'd (See Exhibit B).

She'll then try to worm her way in-between the front seats and into the pass footwell compartment under Amelia's legs and will pant for 3 hours straight. (obviously she doesn't fit). Sometimes she'll finally give up and go to her dog bed and lay down. I've been getting some pressure to build a dog platform for her between the front seats so she can see out the windshield. Amelia feels because she cant see out, she's nervous.. I think this is a terrible idea. If she was 20-40pounds okay maybe. She's a big dog, she won't fit there. And honestly I love her but I don't want her 10" from my face for a 4 hour drive lol. I'm thinking about building a removable platform that sits behind the front seats, but it will be in the way of entrance/exit of the slider while Kestrel is in the bed.

What do you guys do with your 50+ pound dog on trips? Can I see your beds, platforms, setups, ideas?

Exhibit A

DSC_5533.JPG

Exhibit B
Panic!

IMG_2060.JPG

Last edited:

vreihen

2014 NCV3 170" cargo with OM651
Our 15-pound OCD psycho dog was used to riding in the center of my former road trip pickup truck's bench seat for over a decade. My DW and I thought that we would need to build a dog platform between the Sprinter seats for him. She mocked one up out of scrap wood, and we all got into the van parked in our driveway. He wanted nothing to do with that platform, and crawled underneath it as soon as we put him on the floor. The design didn't have a seat-type back on it, so it probably would not have worked well while in motion.

For 7,000+ miles of driving now, he is 100% content to sleep on his round day bed in the aisle between the two front seats. He'll occasionally want whoever is in the passenger seat to pick him up to look out for a few minutes every couple of hours, but then is happy to go back to the floor and sleep some more in his bed.

Your dog is bigger, but I suspect that the hiding under the legs thing is because it feels like a safe den when she is scared by rattles and creaks. Maybe a short table between the seats with her bed underneath will provide that same den security feel?????

waxwing

2024 2500 144 HR Crew AWD
I have this bed for my 45 pound Vizsla in size large: https://www.talltailsdog.com/dream-chaser-charcoal-bolster-dog-bed.html
Nothing fancy, for sure, but Lily seems to doesn't mind. I wish they made a size between medium large that would fit better in the space. But, I wedge it between the front two seats and the dog couldn't be happier. I think she prefers the way the bed curls around her. The bed still leaves the crew floor vent free for airflow. The bed works well behind the front seats and in front of the crew seats as well.
In our passenger car, she usually wants to be on my wife's lap full time, but seems to prefer the bed in the van.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_013950547.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240305_013950547.MP.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 30

SprintMoto

Our 15-pound OCD psycho dog was used to riding in the center of my former road trip pickup truck's bench seat for over a decade. My DW and I thought that we would need to build a dog platform between the Sprinter seats for him. She mocked one up out of scrap wood, and we all got into the van parked in our driveway. He wanted nothing to do with that platform, and crawled underneath it as soon as we put him on the floor. The design didn't have a seat-type back on it, so it probably would not have worked well while in motion.

For 7,000+ miles of driving now, he is 100% content to sleep on his round day bed in the aisle between the two front seats. He'll occasionally want whoever is in the passenger seat to pick him up to look out for a few minutes every couple of hours, but then is happy to go back to the floor and sleep some more in his bed.

Your dog is bigger, but I suspect that the hiding under the legs thing is because it feels like a safe den when she is scared by rattles and creaks. Maybe a short table between the seats with her bed underneath will provide that same den security feel?????

Another good idea. We've stuffed a dog bed down between the seats, and she kind of fits there, she still ends up trying to crawl into the passenger footwell. If I can find another bed that fits better.

I just installed a Lagun table too. I can possibly make a custom foam bed between the front seats and under the Lagun table to give that Den feeling, that's a good idea. Its annoying because she just to big to fit in there comfortably but If make it more safe feeling, maybe she'll settle.

So build a better bed on top of the blue moving blanket.
IMG_0692.jpeg

SprintMoto

I have this bed for my 45 pound Vizsla in size large: https://www.talltailsdog.com/dream-chaser-charcoal-bolster-dog-bed.html
Nothing fancy, for sure, but Lily seems to doesn't mind. I wish they made a size between medium large that would fit better in the space. But, I wedge it between the front two seats and the dog couldn't be happier. I think she prefers the way the bed curls around her. The bed still leaves the crew floor vent free for airflow. The bed works well behind the front seats and in front of the crew seats as well.
In our passenger car, she usually wants to be on my wife's lap full time, but seems to prefer the bed in the van.

Exactly!! She would love that bed, if it fit a little better. I also have to contend with the parking brake lever, about the exact space I really need.

Last edited:

Top Bottom