Balmar alternator kit from Roam Rig

Boathik

Tinkerer extraordinaire
Has anyone used the Balmar 2nd alternator kit from Roam Rig? Wondering how it compares to the Nations alternator.
It comes with a Litens pulley which I'm not familiar with the benefits of. A bit more cost than a kit from Nations... is it worth it?

Thanks.

firebat45

404'd

Looks like they pulled it down for some reason. I even tried going to their site and browsing to it, same deal.

RoamRig

Has anyone used the Balmar 2nd alternator kit from Roam Rig? Wondering how it compares to the Nations alternator.
It comes with a Litens pulley which I'm not familiar with the benefits of. A bit more cost than a kit from Nations... is it worth it?

Thanks.

If you shoot us a message to info@roamrig.com, we'd be happy to walk you through options. We spend A LOT of $$ on the pulley. Pulley failures have occurred on aftermarket alternator kits, and poor belt drive behavior due to non-ideal pulley specs are VERY common. We are likely the only company selling an alternator kit where we spend a ton of $$ on a custom pulley specifically designed to make the belt drive stable and reliable for a long happy quiet life.

The alternator itself is a workhorse. It will push an honest 300A when cold, and low to mid 200s all day long when hot.

404'd

Looks like they pulled it down for some reason. I even tried going to their site and browsing to it, same deal.
Hi there, you are likely in Canada. We do not ship to Canada, so our store (hosted on shopify) blocks Canadian IP addresses. We are looking into a workaround that allows Canadian browsing, but no purchases without a US shipping address.

carbon60

2022 4x4 3500XD 170 HR
Also in Canada and very interested. Half my van was shipped to a receiver just across the border, so it's not a limitation.

As an update to my question regarding output, the installation instructions state:

170-200A of power at idle with a cold alternator and
empty batteries. When revving the engine to 2-3000 RPM, that number should be in the mid 200s

firebat45

Hi there, you are likely in Canada. We do not ship to Canada, so our store (hosted on shopify) blocks Canadian IP addresses. We are looking into a workaround that allows Canadian browsing, but no purchases without a US shipping address.

You are correct, and thank you for explaining what was happening.

Please consider opening up your shop to Canadians (for both viewing and purchasing).

je5610

Has RoamRig been sued by an altenator company? Is that why they are not selling the,"upgraded altenator pulley on the site anymore. I think RoamRig should tell us they were wrong and that the next size smaller belt may be all that's needed.

Has RoamRig been sued by an altenator company? Is that why they are not selling the,"upgraded altenator pulley on the site anymore. I think RoamRig should tell us they were wrong and that the next size smaller belt may be all that's needed.
Right as I get ready to order one. Of course it would play out like this!

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
Why would you automatically think they were being sued? And for what? I was down at Roamrig last week to install the Beatbox in my van Aaron has been great to work with.

RoamRig

24v or 48v options would likely be compelling to some folks.
Ya, it is a ton of SKUs unfortunately! We use 12V in our Revel systems, so the sale of kits is a byproduct of what we already have in stock.
Yeah, I mean who still runs 12VDC?!? :cool:
Lots of folks! Our Revel systems push ~4kw peak charge current and ~2.5kw at idle. That is pretty great!
These pulleys are magic for making the belt drive stable! See reasons below why they are offline right now.
Right as I get ready to order one. Of course it would play out like this!
Sorry! We hope to have kits online again soon. They are dealer only at the moment for dealers who install them in full van builds and do not resell them as kits. See reasons below.
Why was it removed from your website?

@RoamRig
Reason 1 is that our next batch of pulleys was delayed, so we are currently running on fumes with pulleys and need to hoard all pulleys for our Revel power systems and Revel related products (our main business)

Reason 2 is more complex and has to do with control over how/where products RoamRig sells are used. We try to support our products very well, and for that, we need tight control over where they are used, who is installing them, how they are installed, etc. Alternator kits can be a bit of a wild card where one simple little mistake with installation/setup can cause rapid alternator failure that we have no control over.

If we are able to figure out a way to tightly control how/where/who uses/installs our alternator kits, we will start selling them publicly again. We are working on this!

Could we make $$ selling these to whoever the heck wants them and then hiding from support? Yep!

Will we do that? Heck no. Easier to take them offline right now and then put them back if/when we figure out a good way to do this.

Top Bottom