Question about Assyst Maint. Reminder

vkr

I have just purchased a used 03 Sprinter that has an Assyst Maintenance Computer. As far as I understand it's just a reminder which shows how many miles until an oil change (or service) is due. Well, mine shows: -xxx (notice the minus sign). Does this mean that the service is xxx miles over due?
I thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Viktor

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Thanks Seek. I do have the manual but is says nothing about the negative sign.
It looks as if you either need service or ho[pefully for you that whoever performed the last service did not reset the assyst.

After servicing, resetting the assyst is a little tricky. Follow the instructions exactly!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Guys, does the new 2007 Sprinter come with the ASSYST system? I can't find the info about that. Thank you!

The 2007 Owners Manual covers ASSYST information. It's available on units with and w/o steering wheel buttons. The word, "optional" is conspicuously missing from the description, so I'm tempted to say it's a mandatory feature.

Do you have a specific question?

-Jon

The 2007 Owners Manual covers ASSYST information. It's available on units with and w/o steering wheel buttons. The word, "optional" is conspicuously missing from the description, so I'm tempted to say it's a mandatory feature.

Do you have a specific question?

-Jon

Hi Jon, thank you for the info! Do you by any chance know what the option of "instrument cluster" all about? What does it add?

Cheers!
VS

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hi Jon, thank you for the info! Do you by any chance know what the option of "instrument cluster" all about? What does it add?

Cheers!
VS
"Instrument Cluster" is one of the more vague terms. Every vehicle, from what I can tell has an "Instrument Cluster," but the key difference has to do with which particular "Instrument Cluster" you get with your vehicle.

This, I think is an invaluable source of data:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279

You get one Instrument Cluster with a steering wheel sans buttons, but a different one if your Sprinter has steering wheel buttons.

I can tell you that the "Luxury Steering Wheel" is sales-speak for what the owner's manual refers to as the "Steering Wheel with Buttons."

Generally speaking I think most people want / expect what comes with the Sprinter that has "Steering Wheel Buttons," but it's much easier to find & even order one without. In fact, most of the Sprinters on dealer lots in Seattle are w/o Steering Wheel Buttons.

One other point of contention: The buyer gets no cruise control (called "Speed Control") w/o it. At least one Sprinter-Source contributor has actionable data on retrofiting the missing cruise control pieces, dealer installed.

To underscore the importance of "Steering Wheel with Buttons...."

In the 2007 Owners Manual, there are two (2) pages detailing operations on a (Sprinter) vehicle equipped with a "Steering Wheel without Buttons," and 20 pages dealing with operating a vehicle that has a "Steering Wheel with Buttons."

The information overload associated with putting together an order for a new Sprinter is nothing short of psychologically devastating for most people. I saw sales people frustrated. I saw customers throw up their hands and leave the dealership... muttering "Savana" or "Econoline."

If you need a short cut, quick order package 22B (diesel) or quick order package 24B (gasoline) is can alleviate a lot of head (and heart) ache. I had over thirty non-standard "options," that I painstakingly researched. At one point, I thought DCX should have given me an honorary doctorate in NCV3. I often knew more than people who'd been selling 3 - 6 vehicles a week.

If you need to know why so many Sprinters seem "under equipped," compared to other vans in the States, expediters and contractors probably prefer fewer points of failure than those of us that want a Sprinter as a daily driver. Those were the envisioned buyers. Not me.

I didn't consider a Wagon (also known as a people carrier) because I feel that the fewer voices I can hear my rig, the better.

-Jon

Last edited:
"Instrument Cluster" is one of the more vague terms. Every vehicle, from what I can tell has an "Instrument Cluster," but the key difference has to do with which particular "Instrument Cluster" you get with your vehicle.

This, I think is an invaluable source of data:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279

-Jon

Thank you, Jon. I've downloaded one already from dodge.com. Very useful indeed.

BTW, do you know how long it would take to have a custom-ordered Sprinter built and delivered in USA? For previous model I've read about 4-5 months waiting time....

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thank you, Jon. I've downloaded one already from dodge.com. Very useful indeed.

BTW, do you know how long it would take to have a custom-ordered Sprinter built and delivered in USA? For previous model I've read about 4-5 months waiting time....
I ordered mine on 10 April 2007. I'm expecting it sometime between September and November 2007.

You can go to a dealership website - vs Dodge - and build a sheet of sales codes to help organize your order. It can be quite time consuming to try to do it in person if you have a laundry list of options, as I did.

I'll put one up in the NCV3 area...
Go hear for the biggest list of options you'll ever want to meet

03sprinter

I have just purchased a used 03 Sprinter that has an Assyst Maintenance Computer. As far as I understand it's just a reminder which shows how many miles until an oil change (or service) is due. Well, mine shows: -xxx (notice the minus sign). Does this mean that the service is xxx miles over due?
I thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Viktor
My sprinter is an 03. The minus sign does mean the vehicle is overdue for service. My was at -42,000 yesterday. I made several attempts to reset it. The manual is less than clear or specific on how to do this. Here is the procedure that finally worked.
1) turn the key to position 2 and immediately press the mi button on the instrument cluster twice. What the manual doesn't say is "after pressing twice" release.
2) turn the key off
3) Press and hold the mi button and turn the key back to position 2. Continue to hold the mi button depressed until you hear a beep and the numbers reset to 10000.
4) release the button turn the key off and wait till the lights go off before turning the key back on or starting the engine.

I also had problems tonight resetting the ASSYST system. I followed the instructions a dozen times with no success. I did not know resetting the ASSYST could break my windshield :yell:

But I finally got it. I had to do the sequence "quickly" instead of deliberately, then it took. The instructions say "within 10 seconds", but I'll clarify and say within 2 seconds, then it worked.

Good luck.

John

SteinarN

LOL. It can be a bit tricky to reset it. You have to follow the steps EXACTLY. And do it quicly. I have not had any problems so far to reset it.

I never got to the joy of ASSYST reset victory, just the agony of defeat. Fortunately a friend has a DRBIII and did it for me. Using him was going to be my SOP.

As hope springs eternal, now armed with these new tips I'll be forced to try again. Thanks....I think. Let's hope my windshield is up to the challenge.
I also had problems tonight resetting the ASSYST system. I followed the instructions a dozen times with no success. I did not know resetting the ASSYST could break my windshield :yell:

But I finally got it. I had to do the sequence "quickly" instead of deliberately, then it took. The instructions say "within 10 seconds", but I'll clarify and say within 2 seconds, then it worked.

Good luck.

John

By this post I am admitting defeat. I tried every which way described to reset the ASSYST after my latest oil change. I couldn't get it to reset no matter what I tried. Less than 2 minutes of DRBIII communication and the kindness of my friend and it was done.

If it is a test, I failed. I wonder if the resetting of the Sprinter ASSYST using only the dashboard controls should be submitted to Mythbusters?

Top Bottom