Driver Front Roof liner removal?

Jrmorgan

Anyone take down the roof liner and have pictures showing how you did it?
I looked around here but maybe I call the liner by the wrong name?

Thanks as always,
John

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
its easy but you will need help doing it.at the sunvisor you will see 4 bolts"2 each side" remove those and i think you will need to remove the pass roof handle too,the liner is also held in place at the back top where a partition to the rear goes.these are plastic fittings that are fragile and you will need to be careful but you will break them either putting it down or back on.

i removed mine by myself which was a strange balancing act but it worked.:lol:

some pics for you here
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28917&postcount=2

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Take off the sunvisors, A-pillar covers, door opening trim, and most importantly REMOVE THE REARVIEW MIRROR FROM IT'S MOUNT. I managed to tear a chunk of glass out of my windshield with the mirror and mount attached to it while trying to remove the front headliner. The headliner will slide forward and down once all obstructions are removed. There are three dovetail pins where it joins the second headliner (if you have a passenger van), and it needs to slide forward before letting the back end drop down. I think that the B pillar (seatbelt) covers need to be reoved, too, use a trim tool because they are placed with snap-in fittings.

glasseye

I got mine out unaided and I am an unskilled trim removal tech. It's fairly heavy and unwieldy but I can attest that it can be done by idiots. :bash:

Re-installing it, however....:idunno:

Jrmorgan

Thanks guys for the response.

How thick is the front edge? The part that is parallel to the ground from the glass before it turns up to match the curve of the front of the roof? If its thick enough, I want to screw in a small monitor in the area and hang it down where the mirror might be. .:cheers:

Cabinboy

I think you will find that the thickness of the headliner is not the issue for mounting things to it. At least on my 2003 the headliner appears to be composed of an alloy of compressed mouse fur and recyled dryer lint, bonded to that gray fabric that adorns the roof over your head. Once you puncture or cut it, it will return to its native state. It has no ability to hold a screw or other fastener. You might use a backing plate to spread the load over a larger area, but the better approach would be to fasten a bracket to the metal frame above the windshield. The sun visors are attached to brackets fastened in that manner. Take a visor off (4 torx head screws) and you will see the bracket behind a factory-formed hole in the headliner. If you cut a similar hole for your mounting you will need to devise a way to seal the edges. A prior owner of my van mounted speakers in the headliner. I ended up making backing rings out of 1/4 marine plywood in the hopes of making them stay in place. So far it is working, but I would not recommend mounting speakers in this manner. (Speaker magnets are heavy.) One thing that you learn as you get older: In the end, gravity always wins.
Good luck.

punter

I think you will find that the thickness of the headliner is not the issue for mounting things to it. At least on my 2003 the headliner appears to be composed of an alloy of compressed mouse fur and recyled dryer lint, bonded to that gray fabric that adorns the roof over your head. Once you puncture or cut it, it will return to its native state. It has no ability to hold a screw or other fastener. You might use a backing plate to spread the load over a larger area, but the better approach would be to fasten a bracket to the metal frame above the windshield. The sun visors are attached to brackets fastened in that manner. Take a visor off (4 torx head screws) and you will see the bracket behind a factory-formed hole in the headliner. If you cut a similar hole for your mounting you will need to devise a way to seal the edges. A prior owner of my van mounted speakers in the headliner. I ended up making backing rings out of 1/4 marine plywood in the hopes of making them stay in place. So far it is working, but I would not recommend mounting speakers in this manner. (Speaker magnets are heavy.) One thing that you learn as you get older: In the end, gravity always wins.
Good luck.
Shaving mice must be a suck job.

Jackies Dog Grooming

2016 NCV3 144" 4 banger
I want to pull my B pillar cover to tuck my wire bundle from under the driver's seat up to the opening to the back of the van where the factory wires run. So thanks for the explanation, Dave.
One problem. I haven't looked, but if I have the bottom D bolt, I won't be able to remove it because I have the factory bulkhead divider. Removing the bulkhead would be a major endeavor.

Top Bottom