2009 Roadtrek Sewer Hose

Having difficulties pushing sewer hose back in after dumping. RV Repair Shop estimates repair cost to be $1000. Are there any less expensive solutions. Ie. Can the hose be lubricated? .. etc

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
$1000 for what?
I use Sewer Solution, whenever I have hookups. Much more pleasant and easy for storage.
Not good for fast dumping at station.

BobLLL

Spraying the hose with silicone helps. Also, pull the hose all the way straight out before pushing it in, to get any kinks or twists out of the hose.

BobLLL

Kajtek, I think Wandering Whites is talking about the macerator hose Roadtreks have, not the standard sewer hose.

I’m going to try a lubricant on the hose and will pull it out and try re-inserting the hose
Can anyone explain the area in which the hose is being back into the vehicle

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Not me... never looked in there to see where it goes, but also wondered.

Knew a guy who had an Airstream Interstate Sprinter-based RV (ooohh...fancy!!) that had a motorized extend/retract system on that same green hose. Wow, I thought, pretty neat! A lot easier! Then his extend/retract motor died.... (snicker). Talk about a NOT happy camper....

BobLLL

The hose just sort of folds into a flat metal box under the van. That is why it can be hard to get back in, and why pulling it all the way out gives you a fresh start at getting it back into the box without kinks or jams.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Years of RVing teach me that technological gadgets are nice when they work, but too easy they turn into nightmare when they don't.
So as general rule I avoid anything with electronic modules, no electric motors, unless there is no other way around and no complicated mechanisms.
So again, Sewer Solution works for me very well for last 20 years and I have 2 macerator pumps in my storage collecting the dust for 20 years as well.
Why carry heavy, complicated machinery, when simple solution does the same job?
Shortened hose on SS makes it very compact unit, when several lengths of 3/4" PCV pipes make easy extensions, when needed and are easy to stuff under cabinets.

BobLLL

The macerator system is built into Roadtreks, and trying to remove it or replace it with a conventional system is not very practical.

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
Shortening the hose by 3 or 4 ft will make it easier to insert and still leave enough hose for normal use - my experience.

RT.SS

Ditto, shortened the hose about 2 feet, easier to insert into the hose compartment also prevents the hose from overbending which can cause early hose failure/ leakage. I just made a flat hose extension to extend the macerator hose reach in an emergency, but really never used it.

$1000 quote to fix it is ridiculous, even if hose needs replacement, the 1" Kanaflex hose cost around $3 a foot.

Thanks everyone for your responses…

Ok, I am going to pull the hose out all the way. Any idea how much hose should be showing when it is fully extended?

BobLLL

Ditto, shortened the hose about 2 feet, easier to insert into the hose compartment also prevents the hose from overbending which can cause early hose failure/ leakage. I just made a flat hose extension to extend the macerator hose reach in an emergency, but really never used it.
You might need that extension if you come north. Some older state parks in Washington with hookups have the sewer at the very back of the parking area. With the van backed up as far as possible, I can barely reach it with my original-length hose. I don't know what they were thinking, putting it so far back.

Last edited:

Top Bottom