Fuel in Mexico

Roberto

Anyone know for sure if Pemex diesel is OK for the Sprinter all across the country? I seem to recall reading that it is all now low sulpher.

Mrdi

I read the same comment on this forum.
One thing I did learn after several trips from So Cal to Cabo is fill up every time you get a chance. Also carry an extra five. With a 25+ gallon tank it is not such a necessity as it is with a 12 gallon tank but I would guess diesel may not be available at every PEMEX.
Another thing I learned was that 2 spare tires are a necessity ( 1 unmounted is OK ) if you intend to travel on the dirt roads. In Baja traveling on dirt is part of the program, and the rocks jump out of the sand and bite the sidewalls. Make sure you are capable of changing a tire and that would include a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts, and perhaps a piece of 2 x 6 or thick piece of plywood for a jack base.
Driving at night is not a good idea, range animals are prevalent.
Cows do serious damage to Sprinters. Also be aware there are often no shoulders on the highway, so triangular reflectors like those required in Europe might be a good idea.

Last edited:

toad

Anyone know for sure if Pemex diesel is OK for the Sprinter all across the country? I seem to recall reading that it is all now low sulpher.
Many gas station don't have diesel, but the quality of the fuel should be ok, DHL, FedEx and many smaller bus companies use Sprinters of all ages without any problems.

ches

I also think you should be okay by now. 2006 and earlier Sprinters are definitely no problem as we have travelled quite a bit in Mexico with our '06. The newer ones "should" be okay also. Where ever you are only fill up at busy stations or the truckstops where you know they pump a lot of fuel. Forget the small towns in the middle of no where. Enjoy your trip and drive safely.

Diesel-Power

I work for http://www.sprinter-rentals.com/ in San Diego and they rent sprinters that go to Mexico all the time. In fact there is more Sprinter Vans in Mexico then in the US west coast.
Never i have seen any issue with the fuel. Not on our 2004-2006 series and not on our new Mercedes 2010 models. But i suggest you take some DEF fluid with you or make sure to fill yours before you go on a longer trip down there. Hey. :professor: Why not take a fuel filter with you just in case.

LOTUS

I work for http://www.sprinter-rentals.com/ in San Diego and they rent sprinters that go to Mexico all the time. In fact there is more Sprinter Vans in Mexico then in the US west coast.
Never i have seen any issue with the fuel. Not on our 2004-2006 series and not on our new Mercedes 2010 models. But i suggest you take some DEF fluid with you or make sure to fill yours before you go on a longer trip down there. Hey. :professor: Why not take a fuel filter with you just in case.
I am planning to drive down to Panama. Any "Diesel" news and or recommendations?

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
Just back from Baja in my 2006 T1n.

Not all Pemex stations will offer diesel.

The diesel pumps are ALWAYS on a different island from the gas. (don't even ask how I know that) The handles are black, not green.

The diesel pumps there all say Diesel #2. I didn't notice anything saying "Low Sulphur".

There are lots of American T1n Sprinters roaming Baja. I did not see even one American Ncv3.
But;
[/IMG]

My T1n runs great on Mexican diesel.

[/IMG]

Mike

jcwoos

I understand vehicles will run well on Mexican diesel, I have run my '96 and '05 Mercedes E300D and E320D on that fuel for years. What I can't get a clear answer on is to what extent I can count on Mexican Diesel being Ultra Low Sulfur (not just Low Sulfur) so it does not wreck my $1,500 Diesel Particulate Filter.

Any recent updates on ULSD in Mexico?

John
09 Winnebago 24J

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Having driven an 06 Sprinter Motorhome all over Mexico for the last 4 winters, I've never seen any sign on the Pemex pumps to indicate that they are ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel). This information is current as of April, 2010, as I'm not there this winter. I understand that Mexico imports ULSD from the USA for use in the border areas and Baja, and has plans to introduce it in Mexico City soon.

I've also seen many newer Sprinters there, but they were sold in Mexico and probably don't have the particulate filter. Mexico is very loose on its emission requirements.

Gary

toad

As far as I can see, and drive, there is no problem with the diesel fuel for the Sprinters. I got my 2011 model sprinter late last year in Cancun.
FeDex, DHL and UPS drive Sprinters all over the country.
I would guess you should be ok with our Mexican fuel.

Dogwalker

The Pemex diesel ran great in my van when we bought fuel in San Felipe last year. The only bad thing about that trip was that the fish weren't biting.

smooovsprinter

regarding diesel fuel...check my recent story titled break down...the dealer in richmond calif says bad fuel...looks like biodeisel...has ruined my motor? I might sugguest sampling and pre filtering all fuel prior to feeding any sprinter van...replacing my engine seems like an expensive consequense to fueling at a san francisco,california 76 station. I don't know mierda about how ****ty mexico diesel fuel could be... it can't be any worse than the crap i 76 sold me-complete motor falier....but it has always been an issue for sailors cruzing baja. buenos nachos.

Darrin

Junior Member Darrin
Re: Fuel filters?

Has anyone fitted racor fuel filters on the 5 and or 6 cyl sprinters?

Darrin in Huntington Bch., Ca.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I fitted the RACOR 110A filter in front of my factory fuel filter.

I use the R11s filter media (2 micron).

In selecting an additional fuel filter for a Sprinter you need to consider the following:

Fuel flow through the extra filter (don't choke the factory system) - it better be able to keep up with the expected demands and I'm willing to bet you can't tell me how many liters per hour your Sprinter can consume at full throttle on a 20% grade....

Fuel pressure from the tank (you can't fit a 20 psi filter on the OM647s or OM642 Sprinters - which may exceed 60 psi, if I recall correctly)

inside diameter of the factory filter lines (don't choke the factory system); go bigger, never smaller.

life span of the filter medium (don't set it and forget it).

-Jon

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
jdcaples said:
I'm willing to bet you can't tell me how many liters per hour your Sprinter can consume at full throttle on a 20% grade....
My scangauge is happy to provide that info ... where can i find a 20% grade?
(my *guess* is that i hit a peak of about 48 liters per hour in "stressed" situations)
But that's for a T1N. I'm sure NCV3s are thirstier...

--dick

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
Re: Fuel in Mexico re-visited

OK, It seems to me that all of the chirpy "no problems" accounts of diesel in Mexico have come from T1n owners/drivers or from vehicles purchased in and driven in Mexico.
I know there are a lot of newer Sprinter owners who are fearful of driving in Mexico and in particular in Baja solely because of the fuel issue. (Not the bandits or the corruption, nor the water; we Sprinter drivers are made of sturdier stuff.)
SO
To level the field a bit;
Are there any successful/happy reports of newer, USA purchased, NCV3 ("New Concept Vehicle 3", 2007 and newer) Sprinters traveling to Cabo San Lucas and returning while using only local (Mexican) fuel ?? Any 2010s having done the same trip ? Camping ?
Where there any special precautions that you employed before or during your trip ?
Were there any unsuccessful trips of that nature ? (I'm sure you would have chimed in anyway)

Mike

Top Bottom