Terrawagen Tidy Trim Kit Install - It really ties the Van Together!

Hodakaguy

Well-known member
Let's finish out that interior trim!

Stopped in at Terrawagen and picked up one of Eric's "Tidy Trim" kits. We're running a custom interior in our 2017 sprinter and for the last several years the trim around the B-Pillars and over the sliding door has remained unfinished. I keep saying I'm going to tackle this project but never find the time since making a professional looking trim piece for these areas is a royal pain and I have way to many hobbies fighting for my time lol. Luckily for myself and everyone else Eric is now making a Tidy Trim Kit designed for just these areas! The kit says for 2019 and up but fits the older NCV3's as well. The kit is composed of ABS plastic molded pieces that fit like a glove and it's available with or without a drivers side trim ring.

Once back home I set to installing this setup ahead of the upcoming Adventure Van Expo in Hood River OR.

The kit as it comes from Terrawagen in all it's glory.

20230602_111639-X2.jpg


20230603_100515-X2.jpg


20230603_100603-X2.jpg


20230603_100730-X2.jpg



Here's the section of missing trim around my sliding door.

20230603_103728-X2.jpg


20230603_101104-X2.jpg


20230603_101108-X2.jpg



First up I needed to remove the Mule bag and remove the upper panels in the van.

20230603_103152-X2.jpg


20230603_104329-X2.jpg


20230603_104850-X2.jpg



The kit comes supplied with these barrel nuts that screw onto the existing factory door hardware, the center trim piece will attach using two of these barrel nuts. These rest of the trim pieces are compression fit.

20230603_104407-X2.jpg



Testing the center trim piece for fitment.

20230603_104700-X2.jpg



Since I utilized/retained my factory passenger plastic trim in my build I'll have to make the new trim piece tie into my existing trim. The Terrawagen kit comes with trim pieces that go all the way to the floor and most people will use the entire kit. Here I'm marking out where I will cut the upper trim piece to line up with the L-track.

20230603_105155-X2.jpg



And....Cut.

20230603_105750-X2.jpg


20230603_105846-X2.jpg



Test Fitting.

20230603_112313-X2.jpg


20230603_112322-X2.jpg



With the trim piece temporarily installed I could take measurements and see how much I will have to shorten the panel. With the measurements in hand I carefully peeled the existing fabric/foam back, cut the panel down to size then used some 3M90 to re-wrap the panel.

20230603_113908-X2.jpg


20230603_114108-X2.jpg


20230603_122823-X2.jpg



Continued Below....
 

Hodakaguy

Well-known member
Continued from above...

Here I'm cutting out a piece out of the scrap portion of the upper trim piece. This will be used to cap off the cut end and make a nicer transition from the Terrawagen trip to the OEM trim.

20230603_125450-X2.jpg


20230603_130342-X2.jpg



Covering the first piece with automotive tweed. I started by applying glue to both the fabric and the trim piece, letting them tack then mating them together. I started the glue process in the middle of the piece then applied glue in sections and worked the fabric into place.

20230603_132603-X2.jpg


20230603_135000-X2.jpg


20230603_140741-X2.jpg


20230603_140812-X2.jpg


20230603_140820-X2.jpg



Next pieces done

20230603_152726-X2.jpg


20230603_153620-X2.jpg



I used a soldering iron to melt through the fabric and open up the mounting holes in the middle trim piece. This seals the fabric so it won't Frey.

20230603_163919-X2.jpg


20230603_164011-X2.jpg


20230603_164056-X2.jpg



I cut another piece of ABS plastic off the scrap trim and used it for a stop. I glued it and the end plug into place.

20230603_173952-X2.jpg


20230603_174003-X2.jpg



Had to open up a hole to clear my L-track mounting bolt. This corner gets trapped behind the L-track.

20230604_050340-X2.jpg


20230604_050436-X2.jpg



Installing.....Fit's soooooo nice.

20230604_053537-X2.jpg


20230604_053558-X2.jpg


20230604_140412-X2.jpg


20230604_140423-X2.jpg



Continued Below......
 

Hodakaguy

Well-known member
Continued from above...

On to the drivers side. Here's what it currently looks like without the trim piece. Drives me crazy.

20230604_074921-X2.jpg



Pulled down the Mule bag and removed the panel. I trimmed a section of the fir strips to clear the trim piece.

20230604_081400-X2.jpg



Test fitting. The trim piece is just a tad to high to fit with my existing panels so I'll have to trim a bit.

20230604_082144-X2.jpg



With the trim piece temporarily installed I can take measurements and shorten the upper wall panel to match.

20230604_082449-X2.jpg


20230604_082909-X2.jpg



Well that's nice, the cut came out right where I mounted my Victron 712 Battery Monitor Display. I'll have to come up with a way to cover that!

20230604_083953-X2.jpg



Test fitting the panel, fit's great! Here I'm also trimming down the L-track and test fitting as well.

20230604_085923-X2.jpg


20230604_090911-X2.jpg


20230604_091110-X2.jpg



Here I'm trimming a bit off the top of the trim piece to allow the panels to fit up tight.

20230604_093126-X2.jpg


20230604_093409-X2.jpg



Test fitting....looking better!

20230604_093813-X2.jpg



To cover the existing hole I decided to move the 712 Display over a bit and fabricate an aluminum cover that will hide the existing hole.

20230604_093912-X2.jpg


20230604_094234-X2.jpg


20230604_094631-X2.jpg


20230604_095651-X2.jpg


20230604_095705-X2.jpg



Decided to round the forward edges a bit for a better look.

20230604_113423-X2.jpg


20230604_113913-X3.jpg



Painted black and installed on the panel.

20230604_122729-X2.jpg



Continued Below....
 

Top Bottom