What are the little lights for?

Vanzer Pagen

I have a 2016 4x4, ordered with the optional "projector" headlamps. Everything lights up except the small halogen bulbs in the lower inside corners. On the stock headlamps these are the DRL's. (On mine the DRLS are LED "eyebrows'). I thought I heard somewhere that the small lights are the 'turning' lights that move with the steering, but were never programmed to work due to them not being legal(?) at the time. I've asked 2 dealers how to get them to work and nobody knows.
Does anyone here have an idea?
Sorry for no pic... but here's one I got from the interwebs:
1685569678266.pngIt's the light in the lower right; WTF does it do? 1685569678266.png

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Under law: The cornering light feature isn’t permitted in the USA.
Computer programing can reset it from off to On

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
I have a 2016 4x4, ordered with the optional "projector" headlamps. Everything lights up except the small halogen bulbs in the lower inside corners. On the stock headlamps these are the DRL's. (On mine the DRLS are LED "eyebrows'). I thought I heard somewhere that the small lights are the 'turning' lights that move with the steering, but were never programmed to work due to them not being legal(?) at the time. I've asked 2 dealers how to get them to work and nobody knows.
Does anyone here have an idea?
Sorry for no pic... but here's one I got from the interwebs:
View attachment 260540It's the light in the lower right; WTF does it do? View attachment 260540
The headlight is for the 2013 and older Sprinters with cornering light.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Illegal in USA?
Somehow I’ve had cornering lights on multiple vehicles here in the USA, including my 2019 sprinter.
They’ve all been awesome and are a must have imnsho. Very useful on dark 2 lane mountain roads, and parking in tight areas in the dark.

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I’ve requested Mercedes-Benz service department to turn on the cornering lights. Each time; the tech would look into it and come back with a reply of they’re not allowed to.

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
I’ve requested Mercedes-Benz service department to turn on the cornering lights. Each time; the tech would look into it and come back with a reply of they’re not allowed to.
Activate the function yourself with Vediamo, DTS Monaco or ThinkDiag.

Farfrumwork

I think they are 'illegal' because of the height of the headlights, as mentioned lots of other vehicles have cornering lights.

I had them activated on my van by a local guy via some interfacing software (like Ivan mentions). They were awesome! Then I went to the dealer for one of the emission service campaigns (ECU flash) and that reverted the cornering lights back OFF... I need to get them re-activated.

Vanzer Pagen

Activate the function yourself with Vediamo, DTS Monaco or ThinkDiag.
If I knew what those were i would.
Illegal in USA?
Somehow I’ve had cornering lights on multiple vehicles here in the USA, including my 2019 sprinter.
They’ve all been awesome and are a must have imnsho. Very useful on dark 2 lane mountain roads, and parking in tight areas in the dark.
Um yeah... they ARE legal in spite of what others claim. Just need to find someone in SoCAL to do it!
I get the same BS, or "I have no idea what those are"

Farfrumwork

Boulder, CO area

JFloFoto is his handle on this forum. He has a Chinese clone Star device.

Top Bottom