T21 Recall/Wiring Harness Fix

Brian Kenny

Silver Flyer
I know this topic has been discussed before but i have a specific question.

Is there anyone out there that had the original T21 recall done. which then caused the instrument cluster to stay on AND the check engine light to stay on AND were unable to pass the California smog test because of this, who had the wiring harness fix done AND had these three problems resolved?

Thanks.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In theory, a CEL that comes on due to the T21 procedure requires the dealer to *fix* the (probably) MAF which is now able to signal that it has problems. If the CEL came on *whiole they were doing the update*, it shouldn't have left the shop until they fixed it.

That's independent of the instrument cluster issues (which you can probably work-around by turning the key off, on and back off)

--dick (realizing that "shouldn't" is rather a "if wishes were horses" kind'a thing)

Brian Kenny

Silver Flyer
So no one responded to my question, so I will answer it myself. After a few weeks of back and forth with the local Dodge dealer, I got them to perform the revised T21 recall on my sprinter. And lo and behold, no more check engine light, the instrument cluster goes off when you turn the vehicle off and it passed the smog test this morning. I have attached the procedure.

Attachments

Keith1980

Hi Brian, thank you for posting this information. Just purchased a 2004 T1n with the IC issue and fear the local dodge dealer would give me a headache trying to initiate this fix based on the horror threads I have been reading. Was getting ready to purchase the MB adapter for $280 to fix myself but your thread may help me save some $. Thanks for your attachment and I will be printing this out to take with me when requesting this fix.

Keith

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
How long did it take? I called the local service and it was obvious they knew nothing. Will Freightliner do a "Dodge" Westy? I have more confidence in them.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Freightliner/MB will *not* do the work as a (for free) recall if your vehicle is a Dodge.
Since 2010, Dodge has been a totally separate company (no longer merged with Daimler) so the "for free" has to come out of their corporate wallet.

Depending upon the state you're living in, Freightliner *may* be willing to perform the "recall" as a you-pay-normal-rates service call.
(some states (such as Texas) have protectionist laws that forbid branded dealers from servicing other-branded vehicles)

--dick

Keith1980

Update: after calling dozens of Dodge dealers within a 100 mile radius in NC and most telling me we don't work on sprinters found one that actually listened and is going to fix. I have an appointment on Monday and will post the update.

Keith1980

Just wanted to update this post if anyone has any interest. Was able to get the new recall fixed last week and thanks to Nick at Lake Norman Chrysler Jeep in Cornelius, NC for following through and getting this recall done for me. There service team was amazing as they overnighted the adaptor before my scheduled appointment and had the fix done in a few hours. One thing to note is the information that Brian Kenny provided really helped the negotiation on the phone in determining if the software the service center uses will work. So in saying that and by the information Lake Norman gave me from their master tech, if they have the Witech 1.0 or better they can flash the ecm and install the adaptor with no issues. Hope this helps anyone going forward dealing with dodge dealerships not wanting to work on a sprinter...

Top Bottom