T50 (soft close) Retrofit

Spare_Mag_Mike

Millennial Tax Stamp Collector
Does anyone know if T50 "electric closing assist" can be retrofitted to a manual closing slider? I didn't even consider this to be an option on my build and now I am regretting not getting it for my desired use.

I am not talking about a fully electric slider...

1677853947487.png

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I donā€™t know if it can be easily retrofitted. I ordered it on my build as upfitter told it was preferred to the power sliding door option.

Spare_Mag_Mike

Seems like its just a motor and a strike plate. Waiting on my dealer to respond. Figured id hit y'all up also. When I type in T50 in Search literally nothing comes up... but when googling it some threads pop up but some people obviously do not know what the difference in the T50 (soft close) and the T55 (fully electric slider).

Cusker

'22 Crew 2500 Gasser 144 HR
I sure wish I was aware of this option when ordering my Sprinter. I feel bad slamming the slider when in an improved campground in the middle of the night.

Blackveda

2021 144 HR
I just called MB San DIego. They said not is is a dealer option when you order the van. I am curious what others heard from the other dealers.

Spare_Mag_Mike

No sir... I gave up and actually learned how to finesse the door quietly... cause lets be honest the soft close really isn't something I want to repair when it breaks and it will absolutely break... came to terms on my original decision to leave it off the build sheet.

I finesse the door closed by using rear of the door (in line with the handel) and let the door slide and just when its about to swing in I apply pressure with the hand and it closes nicely once you learn the muscle memory its consistent and pretty quiet.

On the inside once i build it out i will add a small handle to the interior of the panel in the same location.

This handel will prolly be an artificial hold for climbing... something low profile enough to not interfere with door operation and something big enough to grab while in motion. Plus a little life style flare to the build. Major bonus in my head is its not metal/ steel so weather won't do its thing to it...

I like bad weather cause it makes animals move and you really get to test yourself and your gear in the unpredictable situations.

So I recently closed the sliding door on a buddy's NCV and to my surprise it was easy and I did not need the momentum that I normally would on my VS30. (I usually keep the door open or not shut it all the way because it is so loud to do so)

I haven't gotten around to it but may just a little readjustment and grease could go a long way?

Spare_Mag_Mike

Ive found that as the slider gets more weight added to it, sound deadener/ insulation/ window/ interior panels. The door doesn't slam like an empty cargo van (like mine)

Moral of the story is sound deaden and insulte the van and it will close, sound and feel a whole lot better. Mine still empty af for now experience from closing others.

jonblack

I have a power sliding door. The cables that unlock the door broke, and the door will not open from the outside. "Gotta get rid of that electric door" I thought to myself.

I am currently considering ordering another van (longer with more options) and I went to the dealer to look at a *cargo* van with no side window and a manual slider. That door took so much effort and speed to close, and was so loud in order to get it closed properly (while closing from the inside), that I would not even think about opening and closing the door in a campground.

I think part of the problem is no insulation and no window to add weight (thus momentum). The window also keeps the door from ringing like a drum when you do pull hard enough to get the door to close and latch properly.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have to be (slightly) amused....
Here is a parts catalog image for the T1N (i.e. pre-2007 model) sliding door.

Note item (25):

1690643222604.png

It's listed as a "Silencer, door" ... it's a slab of metal that rides inside the door.

--dick

Top Bottom