owl v. Aluminess

Slg

i too am looking at the B2 with the xl box and bike racks on the top and the Alumines Rear Door Bike Rack Combo – Mercedes 2019-23 Sprinter; 2017-23 Revel; 2019-23 Storyteller. also their box and bike rack up top. they look almost identical. other than the Alumines requires no hole in the door to mount and can go up to 200 lbs and owl is 150 - even though they put a video of an airplane hanger coming down on it with 10,000 lbs of force and barely an issue. i prefer not to dirll into the door.

alos Aluniness sells a safari roof rack and owl doesn't, one piece, ship and drop in the rails on the roof and secure. So unless someone thinks Aluminess is not a good product, as much as i like Owl for their videos, the box is a tad bigger on Aluminess, no drilling and Owl doesn't have a the safari, tubular, type roof rack and ladder with squared off steps.

i am about to spend a bunch on this so really appreciate help with RECENT purchases from both on these specific products

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
did you get the safari with the drop down and the ladder- squared off ?
I don't remember what they called it, but yes, it has a front drop down light mount and lower profile sides. I like it for its balance of aero-efficiency and function, and also just about as tall as a max fan. I had mine custom made to also recess in a large solar panel and added some length so it extends over the roof in the rear yet vertical in line with the rear bumper in order to be a tree branch protection.

As for the ladder/spare tire carrier, don't know what you mean by squared off. it has their typical rounded corner on the top rung. Works great.

@SIG this is another option you may want to consider:

Vanspeed Mule Carriers and roof rack

Attachments

Olallabiker

Hi, if your looking to purchase a couple 1 up usa, bike racks for the back of your van, I have 2 which I would sell for half price. My bikes are inside now and did only one trip with them on the back. Located in Seattle area if interested. Also have Aluminess swing away for the bike racks. Swing away only fits Aluminess rear bumper. Willing to sell at great price. PM me if interested.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
There’s also some nice stuff by Dutch Van USA :

B196B88F-86F1-4A04-8C9A-50298EAE91BC.jpegjboriol’s van in pic

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Just to add another option to consider. There is this safari style roof rack with the drop down for lights from Avatar Offroad. They also make a matching rear ladder with spare tire mount and rear door storage boxes. Not sure what their lead time is but if you can get to SLC they will install everything for free. Maybe there is a cost savings there?
Nice looking stuff, really like the steps. And I noticed the (HUGE) ski box which will definitely be of interest to some.
The ladder tire carrier looks a lot like the Owl item. For the 100 difference I’d go with the Owl or Van Speed version as there are hundreds out in the wild and I haven’t seen any fails posted on them. But that’s just me.

Last edited:

fireball05

Newly arrived 2021 144HR 4x4 passenger
That ski box is awesome!!! L track and ski holders all built in. Holds 6 pair. I wonder if that would mount to a B2?!

deftoner

ColtonS

At this point I think I would rather be different and divisive, than look like everyone else. This certainly has a full size semi coming up on you vibe. Certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Can't argue that the airflow is going to be spectacular, though.

Is it the grill that is just too much? Would a more solid grill be more acceptable? or it the idea of full frontal replacement the part that is just too much for some?

Top Bottom