VS30 Enable forced REGEN possible via IC907 DTS Monaco coding

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
@VanGoSki - agree 100% - have not had any problems whatsoever with DPF system.
Like you, I normally don't watch my regens at all, no need - the system takes care of itself.

Having this forced regen option available is useful to me though. I regularly spend time on a small island. I'd like to get any potential regen out of the way prior to reaching the island. If start a cycle on the island, I would imagine it would wind up being interrupted 10-15 times due to short trips and or not reaching operating temp etc etc. etc.. This was confirmed on my last island trip.

So the thought is...as I get off the main highway, check DPF load . If I'm over ~50% initiate a regen. Van then has ~1hr to complete a regen with plenty of time to burn off any ensuing fuel/oil dilution. Being in embedded systems, I like data and control....but also appreciate not having to pay attention to the data and control.
I’m on year 3 and 52k miles of ownership
It’s year 5 and beyond that concerns me with the “system takes care of itself”.

I’m sure some might say oh well you still have emissions warranty to 100k miles.
To which I ask: How convenient is that.
Which is not really a question.

Ps: can anyone explain why I’ve seen my dpf filter gauge reach 102% a few times before regen begins?
Is that part of the self care of this system?

Last edited:

VanGoSki

I’m sure some might say oh well you still have emissions warranty to 100k miles.

Ps: can anyone explain why I’ve seen my dpf filter gauge reach 102% a few times before regen begins?
Is that part of the self care of this system?
I think the number is a bit fuzzy anyway. I just got back from a long trip up in Montana and out of boredom decided to check out my DPF as I drove for a while. It started out at 62% and I swear it didn't budge from that number for probably an hour or more. It was very cold and I was cruising maybe 65 or 70ish. Then suddenly it dropped to 60%! It stayed there for a while and then back up to 62%. Then 64%, etc. But in no case did it stay at one level for a long time again. Just weird.

65C02

Depending on what state you live in, the emissions warranty is mandated by Federal or California regulations - not Mercedes.

102% load is just a number - a pie in the sky - its not the end of the world. System was probably not ready to initiate regen.

Others more directly involved with fleet maint etc. can chime in, but from my DPF experiences over years of diesel ownership and from what I hear from others, the DPF is good for good long time. If it goes bad, replace it & carry on. If you are worried, sell it & get something else to worry about.

For me, keeping the SCR/DEF system fresh & happy and my fuel/oil dilution low with regular oil changes and good highway runs is key.

BTW - recently got diagnosis and estimates for CAT replacements on a Dodge and a Honda - $$$ thousands.
Luckily both 'catalyst below efficiency' codes were fixed w/ O2 sensor replacements. Honda, my most unreliable, reliable car.

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
while I'm not the OP, I just enabled this in my van via the variant coding in IC907 and yes, I had to do the usual firewall security access level 30something in EZS167.

thank you Ferrets for letting us know!
Did you use the cracked version of DTS Monaco?

Ivan Borisovich

"Ps: can anyone explain why I’ve seen my dpf filter gauge reach 102% a few times before regen begins?
Is that part of the self care of this system? "

Rocksnsalt, you will have to logout and read my comment since you put me on the ignore list, but which dpf fill level your instrument cluster should display in a scenario like the one in the picture below?... Did you get it?

Attachments

Vangrant

@Ferrets What did you configure "Regbox" to? I tried "force ECU to regenrate and Display particle filter load" but that just made the DPF soot load menu option disappear from my instrument cluster. Did you use "Manual Regeneration in Standing Vehicle"?Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 4.57.25 PM.png

FrankS

same here. when i set it to "force ECU to regenerate and Display particle filter load ", the DPF option completely went away. so much for the "...and display filter load". setting it to "manual regen in standing vehicle" did the trick.

Vangrant

same here. when i set it to "force ECU to regenerate and Display particle filter load ", the DPF option completely went away. so much for the "...and display filter load". setting it to "manual regen in standing vehicle" did the trick.
Huh, that isn’t intuitive. I would assume that manual regen in standing vehicle would be to allow regen when sitting at idle… but if it works it works!

65C02

Same here. "manual regen in standing vehicle"
Has anyone modified the Adablue warning strategy? There's NAFTA, EU6 and EU?
When I enabled the DEF range display, there is now a red line for what I assume is the low DEF warning level. Don't think I saw this prior to the mod.
I have not gone thru a regen yet, so I have not seen (or seen) a regen indicator.

Vangrant

Same here. "manual regen in standing vehicle"
Has anyone modified the Adablue warning strategy? There's NAFTA, EU6 and EU?
When I enabled the DEF range display, there is now a red line for what I assume is the low DEF warning level. Don't think I saw this prior to the mod.
I have not gone thru a regen yet, so I have not seen (or seen) a regen indicator.
I have not modified my AdBlue warning strategy. Mine has always had the red line for low DEF, a little under 50% of the gauge.

FrankS

in the German Sprinter forum, it was explained that option "K1M - manual regen in standing vehicle" (Manuelle Regeneration im Stand) is meant for vans with PTO accessories, where the engine runs a lot of their time in a standing vehicle. it was also stated (link to the German speaking post) that MB charges 500Euros for this option and it can only be ordered when the van is configured for PTO

Vangrant

in the German Sprinter forum, it was explained that option "K1M - manual regen in standing vehicle" (Manuelle Regeneration im Stand) is meant for vans with PTO accessories, where the engine runs a lot of their time in a standing vehicle. it was also stated (link to the German speaking post) that MB charges 500Euros for this option and it can only be ordered when the van is configured for PTO
Makes sense! MB seems to be really picky about when they want a regen to run. I actually don't intend to use the manual regen option unless I know for a fact I'm going to hit that 560 mile mark (or my soot load is nearing 100%) at my destination, but it's really nice to have it around. It does not surprise me that MB doesn't want people to have the option though, especially in the US where emissions warranties are super strong. With manual regen available, a user could regen twice as often as "designed", and they have to keep the system as user-proof as possible!

Ivan Borisovich

Makes sense! MB seems to be really picky about when they want a regen to run. I actually don't intend to use the manual regen option unless I know for a fact I'm going to hit that 560 mile mark (or my soot load is nearing 100%) at my destination, but it's really nice to have it around. It does not surprise me that MB doesn't want people to have the option though, especially in the US where emissions warranties are super strong. With manual regen available, a user could regen twice as often as "designed", and they have to keep the system as user-proof as possible!
It is all about control... Nothing else. You can buy a $50 -100 scan tool that will do as many forced regens as you want, no changes in the coding required. It is not about design or even warranty, but control. MB loves the dependent owner that can't solve his/her own problems. It is good for business...

FrankS

while I agree that companies have a strong desire to make their customers more dependent (this is why almost all software companies switch to a subscription model and now even car manufacturers try to have their customers subscribe to things like heated seats), I don't think this manual regen thing is part of that. Mercedes doesn't gain anything by not enabling the manual regen option, it is not that we all need to swing by the MB dealership every couple of weeks to have the DPF regenerated.

Cars and vans are supposed to get easier and easier to operate. We have automatic headlights, automatic wipers, automatic distance control and of course automatic transmissions. it would be seen as a major step backwards if Mercedes had to tell their customers that the DPF needs to be watched and regenerated manually if the driver predicts the drive will end while the DPF is in the middle of the regen cycle. Yes, I know, we are talking about an optional manual regen option, even when enabled we can let the van take care of it but still, Mercedes would send a message that their cars are not as smart and technologically advanced as they want them to be. I bet not having this option enabled by default was a decision by their Marketing Team, not by their Engineers.

Top Bottom