Service A cost us just under $2,000 in Seattle

45Kevin

Yeah, show us the itemized invoice.
Service A is really an oil change and a few filters and some visual inspections.

$2000 would be 10 hours of labour, or 9 hours and $200 in parts, at the high end of the scale.
Did they have the van for more than a day?

vanlady

Yeah, show us the itemized invoice.
Service A is really an oil change and a few filters and some visual inspections.

$2000 would be 10 hours of labour, or 9 hours and $200 in parts, at the high end of the scale.
Did they have the van for more than a day?
Van was there for a few hours. I was working- fiancé brought it in around 11am, return by 2pm.

45Kevin

So the invoice states B-Service.
My understanding is the B-service includes pretty much all the fluids being changed.
It looks like they changed your oil, topped up your DEF and windshield washer fluid, changed one ? wiper blade and replaced the batteries in your two FOBs. Hmm, just saw your response, 3 hours of shop time???? I'd go back and question the invoice.

vanlady

Looks like we were actually charged for B service. I have no idea why.

I thought you get A service first, then B. We never had an A service. The dealership told us to wait until the computer said it needed service and this is the first indicator we’ve gotten. Van is at 17,000 miles.

lindenengineering

Seattle labor rates are comparable to Denver and franchise dealers are charging about $245/hr
Our labor rate as an Independent is $180/hr in Denver .
Definitely a huge over charge on labor and you need to query that.

Actual job time billing time is correct.
Some items are a gross overcharge , citing the wiper blade even with a 1,5 integer profit margin uplift .
We don't charge for directly for what are sundries like Adblue fluid (DEF) brake fluid etc ete etc these are lumped in as sundries at $25 with disposables such as shop towels etc.
However franchise dealers charge for each line item to pad out the bill.
Frankly from a professional in this business I consider you were severely overcharged on the labor billable hours and you need to tackle them about it,.
If you want to discuss this with Scotti my service writer she has methods to deal with dealers .
All the best
Dennis

vanlady

Seattle labor rates are comparable to Denver and franchise dealers are charging about $245/hr
Our labor rate as an Independent is $180/hr in Denver .
Definitely a huge over charge on labor and you need to query that.

Actual job time billing time is correct.
Some items are a gross overcharge , citing the wiper blade even with a 1,5 integer profit margin uplift .
We don't charge for directly for what are sundries like Adblue fluid (DEF) brake fluid etc ete etc these are lumped in as sundries at $25 with disposables such as shop towels etc.
However franchise dealers charge for each line item to pad out the bill.
Frankly from a professional in this business I consider you were severely overcharged on the labor billable hours and you need to tackle them about it,.
If you want to discuss this with Scotti my service writer she has methods to deal with dealers .
All the best
Dennis
Thank you, Dennis. I will call them in the morning.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Dealership says we were charged the correct amount. I’m completely speechless.
I would expect that to be the initial response. You and/or your fiancé are going to have to be assertive to get any satisfaction out of this.

I always ask for what’s included before bringing a vehicle in. Even better if it’s on the website (rare), or have the service advisor email me the cost /list.
There seems to be considerable differences between dealers as to whats included in A and B services. Imo it should be a rigid standard set by MB for important items, with perhaps an la carte extras menu the customer can choose.

vanlady

I would expect that to be the initial response. You and/or your fiancé are going to have to be assertive to get any satisfaction out of this.

I always ask for what’s included before bringing a vehicle in. Even better if it’s on the website (rare), or have the service advisor email me the cost /list.
There seems to be considerable differences between dealers as to whats included in A and B services. Imo it should be a rigid standard set by MB for important items, with perhaps an la carte extras menu the customer can choose.
The dealership said labor is $300/hr there, which is basically what is inflating this bill so much. They allegedly did 3.25 hours of work. I don’t know if this is accurate. I’m frustrated. I wasn’t there and couldn’t be there because I was working. Fiancé brought the van in. I don’t know how we can negotiate this down because I don’t know enough about what was discussed or what this should cost. They obviously knew they could take advantage of us and did.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
The dealership said labor is $300/hr there, which is basically what is inflating this bill so much. They allegedly did 3.25 hours of work. I don’t know if this is accurate. I’m frustrated. I wasn’t there and couldn’t be there because I was working. Fiancé brought the van in. I don’t know how we can negotiate this down because I don’t know enough about what was discussed or what this should cost. They obviously knew they could take advantage of us and did.
For 2000 I would have expected a transmission flud and filter change, brake fluid flush and fill, differential fluid changed.
And 50 to replace a bolt that wasn’t installed correctly at the factory? Imo should be warranty.

If I read correctly, 110 for ONE wiper blade? Total Rip. Wet wipers are expensive, about 80-100 a pair, and take about 5 min each to install. Were they instructed to just replace anything they deemed needed?
I always instruct the service advisor to call or text me to approve anything other than the normal service.

Sadly, you may have to write this one off as an expensive lesson. but I would savage them on reviews on multiple platforms if possible.
And get stuff in writing first.

#yardsale

The cruelest dream, reality.
Fiancé says he doesn’t remember if he signed an estimate. He did not sign a print out of any kind.
I don't know the procedure in Washington, but down here in California when you drop off a vehicle for service, the service advisor gives you a printout of the items to be performed, as well as the cost. You sign the paper. Later, if the tech finds anything, you might get a call from the service writer advising of the extra cost and wanting your verbal approval to perform the work.

Top Bottom