Dummy - Winter Preparedness

I’m from southern CA and know nothing about anything. I plan to take my t1n 2500 up to Jackson Hole. Would like to be prepared for morning lows around 0F, potentially colder. I just bought some of that Mobil 1 0W-40, bummed cause I just did an oil change, but whatever. Any other fluids I should worry about?
Will get real antifreeze wiper fluid and drain this CA environmental stuff that freezes. Oh and will have my mechanic swap an old glow plug, cause I’m scared of breaking it inside the cylinder. Anything else I should know or think about?

p3424

As long as you've used winter mix of fluids, e.g, engine coolant, wiper washer fluid, engine oil, etc. and do not leave any water containers/soda to freeze, expand and then burst. Most important is to add proper amount of anti gelling (I use diesel 911) to fuel tank and run engine to circulate through fuel system before shutting down for the freeze. Battery will need to be in good condition with the necessary rated cold cranking amps with at least 4 out of 5 working glow plugs. If caught unprepared for the cold temperature. its likely you'll have to wait until temperature warms up to get going again, as its a much more complex starting process, if even possible at all. So have a plan in place if the engine doesn't start as you just won't know until then.

Cavah

2002 Hymer RV, 2500 chassis
As long as you've used winter mix of fluids, e.g, engine coolant, wiper washer fluid, engine oil, etc. and do not leave any water containers/soda to freeze, expand and then burst. Most important is to add proper amount of anti gelling (I use diesel 911) to fuel tank and run engine to circulate through fuel system before shutting down for the freeze. Battery will need to be in good condition with the necessary rated cold cranking amps with at least 4 out of 5 working glow plugs. If caught unprepared for the cold temperature. its likely you'll have to wait until temperature warms up to get going again, as its a much more complex starting process, if even possible at all. So have a plan in place if the engine doesn't start as you just won't know until then.
kind of the wrong advice and usage of Diesel 911….. read the attached info. Diesel 911 is ONLY an emergency use additive and does NOT prevent fuel gelling.

Attachments

bigrock

Quite unlikely you’d encounter this but it would be a huge drag if you did so…

As documented in various threads, the SKREEM immobilizer module can develop cold sensitivity over time resulting in Start Error being displayed on the instrument cluster (and the van not starting until the module is warmed up, either by rising ambient air temp or by heating it with a hair dryer, camp stove etc.).

I mention this because if you’ve only ever (recently) driven your van in warm weather, there is a small possibility that you have this problem but have never encountered cold enough temperatures for it to materialize. I also live in SoCal, and was experiencing intermittent Start Error issues (which always resolved themselves after a few start attempts) prior to taking a camping trip to a cold mountain destination. Upon arriving in the colder location, the Start Error issues became much worse, stranding us for full days at a time. If we had known to unplug the SKREEM and heat it up (which we did not at the time), we would not have been stranded, so just throwing this out there in case it can save you or someone else a similar struggle.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
add ANTIGEL in the correct amount before you get there… by the time you’re in real Winter country most Gas Stations will have Winter mixed diesel so you shouldn’t need to mix then but the treated fuel needs to be in your entire fuel system and engine…. I’m guessing many have problems because they add antigel when they get to their destination then park so the antigel doesn’t really have any chance to mix and spread throughout the fuel system let alone in any Espar fuel line if it hadn’t been run…
of course check your antifreeze and top your wiper fluid with a colder type…
jumper cables and a tow strap shouldn’t need to be mentioned… lower the air pressure in your tires and several hundred lbs of sand bags over your rear axle will help too… bring a broom to brush snow, an ice scraper for windows & mirrors comes in handy too…

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR

As documented in various threads, the SKREEM immobilizer module can develop cold sensitivity over time resulting in Start Error being displayed on the instrument cluster (and the van not starting until the module is warmed up, either by rising ambient air temp or by heating it with a hair dryer, camp stove etc.).

I mention this because if you’ve only ever (recently) driven your van in warm weather, there is a small possibility that you have this problem but have never encountered cold enough temperatures for it to materialize. I also live in SoCal, and was experiencing intermittent Start Error issues (which always resolved themselves after a few start attempts) prior to taking a camping trip to a cold mountain destination. Upon arriving in the colder location, the Start Error issues became much worse, stranding us for full days at a time. If we had known to unplug the SKREEM and heat it up (which we did not at the time), we would not have been stranded, so just throwing this out there in case it can save you or someone else a similar struggle.
where is the skreem module?

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
Before I started using Cetane year-round, I had to put my Coleman grill/stove on low under the engine for a half hour when it was 9 below here in New Mexico. Never had another problem since using it until leaving lights or radio on and having a dead battery in the morning!

Wow that is a great tip to know about in case it ever happens to me. Thank you for sharing.

add ANTIGEL in the correct amount before you get there… by the time you’re in real Winter country most Gas Stations will have Winter mixed diesel so you shouldn’t need to mix then but the treated fuel needs to be in your entire fuel system and engine…. I’m guessing many have problems because they add antigel when they get to their destination then park so the antigel doesn’t really have any chance to mix and spread throughout the fuel system let alone in any Espar fuel line if it hadn’t been run…
of course check your antifreeze and top your wiper fluid with a colder type…
jumper cables and a tow strap shouldn’t need to be mentioned… lower the air pressure in your tires and several hundred lbs of sand bags over your rear axle will help too… bring a broom to brush snow, an ice scraper for windows & mirrors comes in handy too…
Thank you, appreciate the advice.

Top Bottom