Off Highway Van Limited Slip Differential feedback?

mkeys

Asking the dumb questions so you don't have to
I've been getting more serious about adding the Off Highway Van limited slip differential to our 2WD van. And I've reached out to them about a possible install later this spring as we will be out that way anyways on a road trip.

Has anyone here had this installed on their van? Or does anyone have other experience working with Off Highway Van that they can share here? It seems like it is still early days for this product so I am having a hard time finding much information about it outside of the info OHV provides themselves.

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
I’ve only emailed and they replied quickly. I’m only interested if they can lower the gear to 4.18. They’re working on it but no eta. Seems like a stand up outfit.

smoove_ride

Aaron (owner) once owned/operated a high end Corvette aftermarket parts outfit many years back. I think his engineering credentials are in order from that world. He did a great job on my van many years ago when we has just starting out, but this was purely an interior build, no gearing/etc.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I don’t have direct experience with the OHV Limited Slip Diff but have seen a teardown or cutaway of it at an event at Warner MB Van. Looks beefy.
I’ve met some of their staff and toured their facility, quite impressive. My understanding is the owner has a background in racing and implemented that experience and materials technology into their van builds. It’s a very professional operation with quality people, and an amazing array of high end materials such as composites and other materials I’ve not seen elsewhere. Very busy facility with work areas and craftsmen for every specialty involved. My overall sense of the company vibe is they expect perfection in their work and builds. It shows, and I would not expect less with the limited slip diff.

Run4fun

I've been getting more serious about adding the Off Highway Van limited slip differential to our 2WD van. And I've reached out to them about a possible install later this spring as we will be out that way anyways on a road trip.

Has anyone here had this installed on their van? Or does anyone have other experience working with Off Highway Van that they can share here? It seems like it is still early days for this product so I am having a hard time finding much information about it outside of the info OHV provides themselves.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We have a 2021 4cyl rwd and this is an item we've considered adding. VanLand In Santa Rosa CA is an authorized installer that is much closer to us and would consider using them.
Thanks, Kevin

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I wonder how long an install takes if everything goes smoothly and if there’s any overall price difference between having it done in Ut or Ca….

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I wonder how long an install takes if everything goes smoothly and if there’s any overall price difference between having it done in Ut or Ca….
Just a guess but I’d plan on a day.
Maybe call Van Land and see. I think install cost was on the OHV site awhile back.

Last edited:

mkeys

Asking the dumb questions so you don't have to
I was quoted a day, with a possibility of it stretching to two days if things aren't going to plan. I'm still interested in this but OHV has gone radio silent on me. It's still some months out from when I'd want this installed and I'm dealing with other projects so I'll give them some time before I reach back out. Odd though.

Agiles and VC's locking rear diff's would be the bomb if one has won the lottery. haha.

Locking diffs are the best at getting a van out of where it probably should not have ventured to begin with.

If this real wheel locking option for Sprinters had been available in 2010, I would have jumped at it. Now, I am old and set in my ways of knowing where I can go and where I cannot.

My Ford 4wd van in the distant past was reliable in the sand, for the most part. haha Except when it was not. Ramps are the key.

Run4fun

Some information to share- after researching LSD’s and Locking Differential’s my wife and I are going with OHV LSD. We are basing our decision on the way we use our 2021 2wd 4cyl diesel. Light off-road, sand, some wet and potentially icy conditions traveling to the Midwest from CA. From what I’ve learned from multiple threads LSD’s make more sense for our use and adds an additional level of safe driving. That said, if we needed a rear locker we would use Agile as we have been happy with all the work they’ve done on our van and ARB has a great reputation.
Really comes down to how we use our rig.
WaveTrac makes the LSD for OHV and has a limited lifetime warranty.
After going down the rabbit hole of WaveTrac I’ve learned they make a great product. I linked a recent YouTube video covering how the WaveTrac works.
At the end of the video they mention the Sprinter LSD and that it shares similar components to all Wavetracs LSD’s, just larger.
We plan on going to Utah mid May for the install from CA and then on a road trip through CO, NE, and down to Sante Fe, and back home to CA.
I’ll give an update when we get home early June.
We purchase through OHV and Warner Vans does the install and have done about 30 with no issues. Hope this helps those on this thread:

Happy29

Now they just need to avail 4.18 rear gear for us RWD. Hope it becomes an option in the future.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
OHV’s limited slip works with all 2017 and newer rwd sprinters as well as 4wd.
Per the OHV site, their LSD actually fits 2007 and newer. Awesome upgrade for a rwd or 4x4. Word is it makes a rwd as capable as a 4x4. Rad!

Scroll down on this link for 2 good explanation/demonstration videos:

EE8253E4-FE55-4880-892A-4A9C1EBDE117.png

Last edited:

Happy29

Hmm, I thought they had. No?
Yes, sure it works for RWD but only 3.92 ratio. They say they're working on a 4.18 option. Last communication was in July so I just nudged them for an update. I suspect there isn't enough demand to make it worth the trouble. The trouble being the reprogramming, not the physical gear. For me, the expense and trouble isn't worth it if I can't lower the gear. RWD ratio is too high and made worse with larger tires for slow crawling up and over stuff. I often cannot get into the power band (turbo) as the gear requires about 8MPH in 1st to hit 2000RPM. I've managed by choosing lines very carefully and maintaining momentum but this isn't always possible on tricky trails.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Yes, sure it works for RWD but only 3.92 ratio. They say they're working on a 4.18 option. Last communication was in July so I just nudged them for an update. I suspect there isn't enough demand to make it worth the trouble. The trouble being the reprogramming, not the physical gear. For me, the expense and trouble isn't worth it if I can't lower the gear. RWD ratio is too high and made worse with larger tires for slow crawling up and over stuff. I often cannot get into the power band (turbo) as the gear requires about 8MPH in 1st to hit 2000RPM. I've managed by choosing lines very carefully and maintaining momentum but this isn't always possible on tricky trails.
Makes sense. Though 4.18 is an MB option so there’s a few running around out there from the factory. I’m considering ordering a 2024 AWD and may choose the 4.18 if available for the AWD to compensate for 33-34ish tires planned.

Top Bottom