T1N Car Alarm Install - Viper 5706

alexk243

KulAdventure
After the second break in on my 2004 Dodge Sprinter I decided to install an alarm system. This last time they stole a lot of tools out of my van (my bad for leaving them in there). I was sleeping in my house about 50' away, but since there was no alarm they had about 8 mins to unload my van. So as annoying as car alarms are it would have saved me a ton of money.

I decided to go with the Viper 5706 ( https://amzn.to/3ZS0lIf ) as it is a reputable company and offers two way remotes with one mile range that would alarm me if my alarm is sounding. It does have the ability to do remote start, but I have no intention of hooking that part up. I do however want to figure out a way to have the auxiliary switch on the remote turn on my diesel heater and warm the cabin... so still trying to figure out the wiring for that.

I am also going to be following this method by SkyDiver007 ( https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/21410/ ) in order to have the alarm system also lock or unlock the doors. I currently have a single action (lock and unlock) remote switch attached to my interior central locking button, which works, but you cant tell if you are locking or unlocking.

I will post more pictures as I progress, but wanted to get this thread started in case anyone has dealt with this alarm system before and has advice.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
In my ignorance of Viper and most electronics, my advice would be to do as few interfaces with the existing electronics as possible. Use dedicated circuits and relays to reduce these inferfaces.

alexk243

KulAdventure
In my ignorance of Viper and most electronics, my advice would be to do as few interfaces with the existing electronics as possible. Use dedicated circuits and relays to reduce these inferfaces.
Agreed, the only interface will be the one showed in the link simply to lock/unlock the doors.

gtholden

2005 T1N, 140WB, Low Roof Passenger, ~163K Miles
When I bought my van used, it had a Viper installed. It didn't seem to play well with the door locks and the sensitivity was so off that anytime I'd camp in the van and move around, the alarm would go off. It would scare the hell out of me! So I just don't use it, but maybe I should look into using it again. I think you can adjust the sensitivity of it?

alexk243

KulAdventure
When I bought my van used, it had a Viper installed. It didn't seem to play well with the door locks and the sensitivity was so off that anytime I'd camp in the van and move around, the alarm would go off. It would scare the hell out of me! So I just don't use it, but maybe I should look into using it again. I think you can adjust the sensitivity of it?
Yeah I still plan to lock the van using the interior switch and not activating the alarm if I'm in it. The alarm is only for when it's parked and we are not using it. Just would be nice to have it operate the locks too.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Got it installed! I followed the same method as SkyDiver007 and it works great!!! it such a better remote system then I had and what came stock. I now have a 1 mile range and two way remote. The remote also will tell me if alarms are sounding at the van and the temperature of the van up to a mile away. I soldered into the same circuit as SkyDiver007 (after confirming my alarm was also negatively triggered locks) and it works great.

PXL_20230124_165821326.MP.jpg

PXL_20230124_165218227.MP.jpg

PXL_20230124_164535910.MP.jpg

Chosauce

Hi Alex, thanks for the write up. I’m planning on following the same for my own 2006 sprinter. Did you ever find a way to start the diesel heater with the auxiliary function on the fob? Starting the heater one mile away on the slopes would be a game changer.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Hi Alex, thanks for the write up. I’m planning on following the same for my own 2006 sprinter. Did you ever find a way to start the diesel heater with the auxiliary function on the fob? Starting the heater one mile away on the slopes would be a game changer.
I didn't really look into that. Good idea though. Would be really nice and negate the need for a engine remote start function. The range may reach the advertised distance when you are on the slopes, but I have found in the city it is far less range.

Top Bottom