Installed shore power under the van

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
PD: I love your door.
That's the main reason I jump on the van, even it has less-favorable V6 in it. We are getting old, so knees are not our strong point and our small dogs would not enter the slide door steps.
Very few Sprinters with this option, but I see them in touristic areas, competing with Pink Jeeps.

Dann

C’mon… do you really think people even know what a shore power connection is let alone would notice it as compared to tires & wheels, racks, ladders, tire carriers, steps, boxes, lights, etc, etc on typical Vans in regards to being “stealthy” ?? 🙄
I just don’t think that thats what catches their eye…
for me and my use, I would never have this under my Van.. I often cross creeks that are axle to wheel height deep and drive on muddy/dirty trails in the Summers and on sanded/salted roads in the Winter… I want to minimize the chances of corroded/dirty electrical connections let alone having to get on the ground to connect but thats me, to each their own…
I agree that a van can never be completely stealth but I try to have mine as conspicuous as possible. It has no top rack, no side ladder, no tire rack, no box, or roof lights. Of course I have maxxfans that are a give away to people who know what a converted van is. My solar array is also pretty low profile. My shore power connection sits pretty high under the van and is well protected by the end cap. I don't intend to do creek crossing either. I drive the van in Canadian winter with snow and tons of salt on the roads with no issue.

YMMV

Sprinter 5.jpg

Shore Power 5.jpg

MyOtherCar

Stealth? You just need to blend into your surroundings. In the military they use camouflage to hide activities. In Seattle you could use urban camouflage. It might look something like this. garbage.JPG

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
take a look at it after a snowstorm..
hopefully you won’t have problems but looking under mine and all the road grime everywhere just reaffirms my choice in location…

Dann

take a look at it after a snowstorm..
hopefully you won’t have problems but looking under mine and all the road grime everywhere just reaffirms my choice in location…
Snow storms are common here. Where I live, winter tires are required by law from Dec 1rst to March 15. Three winters so far and no issue ;) (Mine also has huge mud flaps behind the DRW which probably helps too.)

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
could you link to that junction box?
I got this

And sprayed it flat black with some Krylon designed for plastics.

O you can get a black aluminum box:

Or this

mikecol

could you link to that junction box?
Hi Chronicpenguins, That box I showed is highly likely a Hammond Manufacturing aluminum one. I have a pile of different size boxes from Hammond so didn't take note of the exact one. Looking over some notes it is likely a 1590DBK model, but I would look and make sure the size seems right for your job. Hopefully I can crawl down there sometime and measure the one I have to verify.

Chronicpenguins

Hi Chronicpenguins, That box I showed is highly likely a Hammond Manufacturing aluminum one. I have a pile of different size boxes from Hammond so didn't take note of the exact one. Looking over some notes it is likely a 1590DBK model, but I would look and make sure the size seems right for your job. Hopefully I can crawl down there sometime and measure the one I have to verify.
how did you drill into the trailer hitch? the metal is pretty thick

Top Bottom