Solar Trickle Charger

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
I did a search. Lots of discussion on trickle charging, but Im curious about specific solar trickle chargers, your brand and experience if any.

Van is driven 1-2x week. I want one for the starter battery. Original battery 2016. Gonna need a replacement I know, but I want a trickle charger now anyway.

To make any particular difference Im thinking 20W rated minimum, which realistically amounts to about 0.6-1A according to my research on various kits.

You’d think this wouldnt be such a chore and simple enough to grab something on amazon but no. Some are only effective in DIRECT sunlight, and not in overcast at all. Some work in overcast but at such a small output whats the point? Some are way too expensive even for chinese brands.

Most come with a cig charge plug for applicable models. I dont think the Sprinter supports always on sockets? So I will hard mount an adapter most likely.

Here is one I like because it has a separated controller with readout. (So I can verify I wasted my time and money ?? )
Allto 20W
Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited:

LoneSprinter

I too have a 2016 with the original battery, still only 15K on the van so it's obviously parked for weeks at a time. I've tried 2 solar chargers Battery Tender 5W and two off of Amazon. Both of the Amazon chargers were 10W solar units. One deceptively showed an integral charge controller but did not have it included so it went back in a hurry. The other works fine and regulates at 13.4V. The Battery Tender unit over charged, the voltage reached as high as 15.2V which is the units maximum, without any apparent regulation and no integral voltage or current display to let you know anything is wrong or right.. Thankfully I was testing the defective unit on my electric start generator and not the Sprinter. I returned it to Battery Tender for repair. They lost it for awhile, then claimed it was working properly but they didn't have anyone available to return the unit to me so they were sending a replacement unit as a courtesy...yeah right. In my case I park inside and have to run wires outside so a solar charge controller never seems to fully charge the battery. The solar battery tender manual stated 6 AWG wire was suggested for extending the cable length which is huge in my opinion. I used only 18AWG and it works fine. What is working best for me has been the tried and true Battery Tender Plus, a wall plug in unit. I've used one for 20 years to maintain my motorcycles. A second unit now connects to my Sprinter. It draws 100mA once the battery is fully charged, voltage at 13.2V. It is consistent rain or shine, night or day. Solar doesn't work well because there are trees and the garage itself blocks the sun. I have found solar is not the best choice for me while garaged but when traveling I use the below unit. It's maxium output at 13.4V is approximately 750mA. It's light weight and has some flex to it. It mounts low enough on the windscreen to not be in the way. Even though the suction cups are cheap they stick better than the heavier Battery Tender units. I will be adding a security system that will run off the starter battery and draws about 120mA so I'm thinking of purchasing the larger 20W Sunapex unit which is basically two of the these on a single mounting shingle. Whatever you decide to use I suggest adding a small voltage meter into the installation with a switch if desired to remove the .01mA draw of the meter itself just so you can keep an eye on things.

1669230365334.png

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
Here is one I like because it has a separated controller with readout. (So I can verify I wasted my time and money ?? )
Allto 20W
Anyone? Bueller?
I have this one. Panel mounted on top of recovery boards on the roof. I'd like the output to be more like 25-30w. The controller is dead simple and functions without issue. If you have room for the 50w I'd spend the little bit extra.

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
If your NCV3 van has the 25A socket under the cupholders in the center of the dash, that is supposedly always powered as it was intended for powering a portable refrigerator/cooler.....
Awesome! Thanks for this. Of the 2hrs I spent today working in the van, I completely forgot to check this myself. ??

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You’d think this wouldnt be such a chore and simple enough to grab something on amazon but no. Some are only effective in DIRECT sunlight, and not in overcast at all. Some work in overcast but at such a small output whats the point? Some are way too expensive even for chinese brands.
One of the classic "do you want it cheap, good, or fast? (choose one)" situations.

Monocrystalline panels put out the most power for the area ... but are not as good in diffuse (overcast) light.
Polycrystallines are less expensive, don't provide the power (for the area) of monos in direct light, but perform better than mono in overcast situations.
(but the difference between the two may be less than 20%)
Thin film are by far the cheapest but also the poorest performers (2/3rds the output of poly) for the area.

A bright overcast day is going to knock at least 50% off the "full sun" production. A less-bright will be lucky to produce 25%.
Solar panels ain't magic.

--dick

nicT777

I too have a 2016 with the original battery, still only 15K on the van so it's obviously parked for weeks at a time. I've tried 2 solar chargers Battery Tender 5W and two off of Amazon. Both of the Amazon chargers were 10W solar units. One deceptively showed an integral charge controller but did not have it included so it went back in a hurry. The other works fine and regulates at 13.4V. The Battery Tender unit over charged, the voltage reached as high as 15.2V which is the units maximum, without any apparent regulation and no integral voltage or current display to let you know anything is wrong or right.. Thankfully I was testing the defective unit on my electric start generator and not the Sprinter. I returned it to Battery Tender for repair. They lost it for awhile, then claimed it was working properly but they didn't have anyone available to return the unit to me so they were sending a replacement unit as a courtesy...yeah right. In my case I park inside and have to run wires outside so a solar charge controller never seems to fully charge the battery. The solar battery tender manual stated 6 AWG wire was suggested for extending the cable length which is huge in my opinion. I used only 18AWG and it works fine. What is working best for me has been the tried and true Battery Tender Plus, a wall plug in unit. I've used one for 20 years to maintain my motorcycles. A second unit now connects to my Sprinter. It draws 100mA once the battery is fully charged, voltage at 13.2V. It is consistent rain or shine, night or day. Solar doesn't work well because there are trees and the garage itself blocks the sun. I have found solar is not the best choice for me while garaged but when traveling I use the below unit. It's maxium output at 13.4V is approximately 750mA. It's light weight and has some flex to it. It mounts low enough on the windscreen to not be in the way. Even though the suction cups are cheap they stick better than the heavier Battery Tender units. I will be adding a security system that will run off the starter battery and draws about 120mA so I'm thinking of purchasing the larger 20W Sunapex unit which is basically two of the these on a single mounting shingle. Whatever you decide to use I suggest adding a small voltage meter into the installation with a switch if desired to remove the .01mA draw of the meter itself just so you can keep an eye on things.

View attachment 239708
Is your solution working well for you? I'm in need of a solar battery tender for when I will be keeping my van in Nevada or Arizona for 4 to 6 weeks at a time.

Thanks

I have a set of cascadia 4x4 panels on the hood. 80 watts total. Its absolutely overkill (and not cheap) but they look good, work well, and put out plenty of power incase I don't drive it much or have been listening to the stereo with the engine off for too long.

1689879841437.png

Also their customer service is top notch.

Top Bottom