Stone Gray - on the road again 22-23

45Kevin

OK, I got too many things to post for the "Who has a better camp site" although I will add to that occasionally.

We hit the road on November 7 and left Calgary in a blizzard with double digit minus Celsius temps.
We went south into Montana and made a left hand turn onto US2 at Shelby. That took us all the way to Minnesota where we bailed and crossed back into Canada at Sault Sta. Marie.

We had snow all the way, not bad but it definitely curbed our speed.

20221107_115405.jpg

We had snow all the way to Michigan. There it cleared up but the next morning...

20221112_061220.jpg

Once we got back into Canada we had fairly smooth sailing until we hit Maine, and then it snowed all the way to Halifax.
I have to say, the 4x4 locks that thing to the road. Never spun a tire the entire way.

Our Cheap Chinese Heater shit the bed the first day out. The error code was the ignitor. I did take the heater apart and cleaned the ignitor but no change. I stopped at several truck type places looking for parts but came up dry. We ordered a new CCH to be delivered to my brother's house in Halifax. Mean while we used the diesel coolant preheater to keep us warm. It meant getting up a few times each night to start it up but it worked OK. Not a good pic but the CCHs are dead easy to work on. I did find a place that had an ignitor for a an Airtronic that might have fit but it was about 50% more than a new CCH. I'll probably order replacement parts when we get home next spring and just carry a spare CCH. I really didn't design the van to spend weeks/months in heater needing weather but recent medical issues with my wife meant we are about a month behind in our travels, so we have to cold weather to deal with. We are managing.

20221108_182314.jpg
20221109_152327.jpg

In Maine and New Brunswick we had a very wet snow mixed with freezing rain. The front end got fairly covered with ice and I was concerned about air flow onto the radiators, but the gauges never varied from normal.

20221116_092324.jpg

45Kevin

Our Starlink has been working well. But it is really a power hog. That was surprising despite warnings on this site.
I am still testing but the warning for a clear site line seem to be exaggerated a bit. We have had good internet speeds despite being in relatively small clearings.

20221110_171528.jpg
20221114_184203.jpg

Went back to friends camp. It is about 20 miles of off road trail. Nothing worse than we experienced in Baja but rugged none the less.

20221120_093237.jpg
20221119_152809.jpg20221121_081600.jpg

45Kevin

I've spent my entire time out west, more than 30 years now looking for the quality of seafood you get on the east coast, without success so far.

So I always get my fill when in NS.
Our clams and chips dinner.

20221124_143946.jpg

45Kevin

We hit the road again on Dec. 1.

Before we did, I ordered the Fox shocks from Agile. Awesome experience with them so far.
Through this forum a member from Louisiana offered his address as a shipping destination.
I'm looking forward to meeting him and seeing his build. Shout out to @Philip53

We ran into a Christmas parade in a small town in Maine. Caused a minor wait but it was nice to watch.

Raining and cold was hard on the walkers but at least Santa had an umbrella.

There was a Sprinter in the parade, local Animal Rescue society.

20221203_141118.jpg20221203_141920.jpg

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Our Starlink has been working well. But it is really a power hog. That was surprising despite warnings on this site.
I am still testing but the warning for a clear site line seem to be exaggerated a bit. We have had good internet speeds despite being in relatively small clearings.

View attachment 239645
View attachment 239646

Went back to friends camp. It is about 20 miles of off road trail. Nothing worse than we experienced in Baja but rugged none the less.

View attachment 239647
View attachment 239648View attachment 239649
Looks like quite a trip. And your friends property with 3000 ft of shoreline, with firewood, nice!
Which cheap chinese heater did you buy that stb ?
I’m considering ordering one instead of finagling my factory installed system that only works under 40f and with engine on.
Chad from LTVL has had good luck with a “happybuy” heater off amazon. Arctic and back, some -40f and he said it performed well.

Last edited:

45Kevin

Sailed through Boston, stopping to see the Christmas tree that Nova Scotia gifts to Boston each year. When we were in NS it was all over the news as it was cut down and trucked south. It's an annual gift for help received over a hundred years ago for damage to the people and property of Halifax when a munitions ship exploded in the harbour. Wiped out the north end of the city. It was the largest man-made explosion in history and kept that distinction until the first A-bomb went off.

20221203_181159.jpg

Street camped in Cambridge that night.
Beautiful area of Boston.

20221203_215750.jpg20221203_215911.jpg

45Kevin

Looks like quite a trip. And your friends property with 3000 ft of shoreline, with firewood, nice!
Which cheap chinese heater did you buy that stb ?
I’m considering ordering one instead of finagling my factory installed system that only works under 40f and with engine on.
Chad from LTVL has had good luck with a “happybuy” heater off amazon. Arctic and back, some -40f and he said it performed well.
The failed unit was a happybuy. The replacement is a Vevor (sp) but the unit is identical except for the colour of the housing.
The control is different (5 button as opposed to 3 button) and has a different plug so I had to splice that in to the existing wire harness to get it to work. And this one has a remote. It also came with a T and three hoses and two outlets. And surprisingly came with two mufflers.
Has been working every day and night for the past three weeks flawlessly.
By tomorrow or the next day we should be out of furnace needing territory.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Well, you sure won't need that heater down here at least for a while - temps in the upper 70's for the next several days. We hit a new record high today, above 80. But, it's not too unusual to have overnight temps in the teens, but not for very long periods, for sure.

45Kevin

We stopped for the night about 30 miles north of New York as we wanted to spend the day in the Big Apple.
My wife had booked a carriage ride in Central Park and we thought about parking and in Calgary a few trips around the block will usually find someone vacating a spot. Not so in NY. We ended up in a permit only spot in front of the Plaza Hotel. I figure a parking ticket may be in the mail when we get home but at least we didn't get towed.

The carriage ride was a bucket list item for my wife... so whatever it took.

The second pic is from the carriage. A couple of new towers (#2 and 3 in height I think) full of multi-million dollar condos.

20221205_122718.jpg20221205_130501.jpg20221205_163218.jpg

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
We stopped for the night about 30 miles north of New York as we wanted to spend the day in the Big Apple.
My wife had booked a carriage ride in Central Park and we thought about parking and in Calgary a few trips around the block will usually find someone vacating a spot. Not so in NY. We ended up in a permit only spot in front of the Plaza Hotel. I figure a parking ticket may be in the mail when we get home but at least we didn't get towed.

The carriage ride was a bucket list item for my wife... so whatever it took.

The second pic is from the carriage. A couple of new towers (#2 and 3 in height I think) full of multi-million dollar condos.

View attachment 241231View attachment 241232View attachment 241233
Yeah NYC is an interesting place. Had my brand new expensive glasses stolen while sitting with my gf waiting on a table at a Ruth’s Chris bar. Set them next to me, gone a minute later.
Good on you for doing what it takes for your wifes bucket list. And hopefully no ticket in the mail!
I cannot even imagine living in one of those towers. Not for me.

Philip53

Wow, those towers appear to be super slender. Don't think I would want to have anything to do with them. Been to NY a couple times on business trips - was interesting, especially Central Park and the Statue of Liberty. But absolutely nothing there worth another visit, been there done that. I can't even imagine wanting to live like that, but as they say, different strokes for different folks. But please, any big city folks out there, don't take this personal, you would probably skoff horribly at my little piece of rural heaven.

Philip53

That looks like a great spot! How do you keep that van so clean while traveling? In winter yet?

45Kevin

I was going to do DC, as I love the Smithsonian.
But I was tired of big cities and opted instead for Gettysburg.
I'm not a civil war buff or anything, but it is inspiring (maybe the wrong word) to stand among the trees and imagine the men fighting, and dying as they did 160 years ago. It is a very important part of the American fabric for sure. 51,000 Americans died in the three day Battle of Gettysburg.

We did the driving tour around Culp's Hill. There are monuments, hundreds of them, for all the regiments and battalions that fought there. NY, CT, TN, VA, MA, both sides, all had men involved in this battle. Like Lincoln said about the site, "bringing America together".

This should be the American Mecca. All American should come here to savor in the cost of the freedoms they enjoy.

20221207_094121.jpg20221207_152648.jpg20221207_152723.jpg
20221207_154955.jpg

45Kevin

That looks like a great spot! How do you keep that van so clean while traveling? In winter yet?
LOL. Stone Gray hides the dirt.
But seriously, all you have to do is drive in the rain for 5 fawking days.

About those towers.
They are close to 100 floors.
Fun fact, those tall buildings don't have walls that are plumb.
If they did, the upper floors would be bigger that the lower floors.

45Kevin

Today we coughed up the $30 to do the Skyline Drive.
I tried to do this stretch of road, along with the adjacent Blue Ridge Parkway 40 years ago on my motorbike.
I was coming from the south and made a wrong turn somewhere along the way and ended up in Kentucky.

It's a wonderful road with great views... for the first few miles, then it is the same view over and over again.
So we opted to bail after 33 miles and an hour and a half and continued south driving down the Shenandoah Valley on the VA340. It is so much more interesting driving along a populated road, the small towns and farms, yeah, much more interesting.

But I did snap a few good ones from the Skyline Drive.

OK, my wife took pics of the views, I got the entrance sign and the Margret Rock tunnel.

20221208_132622.jpg

20221208_114605.jpg20221208_132856.jpg

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Today we coughed up the $30 to do the Skyline Drive.
I tried to do this stretch of road, along with the adjacent Blue Ridge Parkway 40 years ago on my motorbike.
I was coming from the south and made a wrong turn somewhere along the way and ended up in Kentucky.

It's a wonderful road with great views... for the first few miles, then it is the same view over and over again.
So we opted to bail after 33 miles and an hour and a half and continued south driving down the Shenandoah Valley on the VA340. It is so much more interesting driving along a populated road, the small towns and farms, yeah, much more interesting.

But I did snap a few good ones from the Skyline Drive.

OK, my wife took pics of the views, I got the entrance sign and the Margret Rock tunnel.

View attachment 241249

View attachment 241248View attachment 241258
Those tunnels look a bit tight for a lifted high roof 4x4 sprinter. At least if staying in lane.

45Kevin

Stopped early today, we drove 110 miles.
We are on a service road on the edge of the George Washington National Forest just south of Waynesboro VA.
I deployed the Starlink and despite having a canopy of leafless branches, we are still getting fairly good internet.

I've been testing the amount of open sky needed to get good internet with my Starlink. I'll be posting soon to the Starlink thread with my observations.

20221208_165446.jpg

Top Bottom