Does my engine need a rebuild?

taylorm

Power issues after a rebuild without other indications of a problem always make me concerned about cam timing. Just sayin'.
There's a PID I can read via the scan tool for the ECU's crank to cam sync status, and that shows as "OK". But perhaps it's not sensitive enough to measure if it was off a couple degrees?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
There's a PID I can read via the scan tool for the ECU's crank to cam sync status, and that shows as "OK". But perhaps it's not sensitive enough to measure if it was off a couple degrees?
And it's only measuring one cam so the other could be off!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I have never done it myself, but the service manual has a procedure. I don't recall off hand if the cam gear alignment dots are visible with the valve cover installed or not.
Are the marks possibly visible through the oil filler hole ??? Maybe with a camera scope?

taylorm

Ok but if the camshaft position sensor isn't throwing a code, then the crank to the intake cam timing should be fine, correct? It's just if the intake to exhaust cam timing that may be off and the ECU wouldn't have a way to detect it, correct?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Ok but if the camshaft position sensor isn't throwing a code, then the crank to the intake cam timing should be fine, correct? It's just if the intake to exhaust cam timing that may be off and the ECU wouldn't have a way to detect it, correct?
The camshaft sensor check isn't precise enough to detect a single tooth off. One tooth is about 5 degrees or so.

Would a timing issue would also show up on a compression test?
Possibly, it may not be significant enough though.

taylorm

Ok so in my case where I don't think the shop is going to want to try to get out of doing the right thing...

I would need to remove the valve cover and rotate the crank to TDC and check the alignment to eliminate this as a potential cause of the low power issue I'm experiencing. Otherwise is there any other less intrusive way of verifying this, or are there other potential causes for the low power that I should investigate and cross off the list first?

Short of me somehow proving there's a problem myself, I don't think the shop is going to be helpful, which is fine, but I just want to make sure I'm attacking this in the right sequence.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I think you might be able to see the dots with a mirror through the vacuum pump drive hole, or maybe with an endoscope through the oil fill hole.

An exhaust obstruction would reduce power a fair bit, but that isn't very common. A bad MAF could do it as well, but again, not common.

What year is this van? (02-03 or 04-06)? 02-03 I would make sure you have no bubbles in the clear lines, and a fresh fuel filter.

Last edited:

Maine-coast

What was the cost of all this work? Just curious. I really need to replace my injectors before I wash out any cylinders!

I don’t have any smoking when warm but the exhaust smells much worse than my other van. Not that I’m out side huffing it!

taylorm

Hey Taylorm..just curious what you paid for the engine work. Have you talked to the shop at all?
Taking the van to the shop this morning for its post break-in oil change and going to see if I can get them to admit there's a problem and try to diagnose it.

I paid $11,500 for the long block, but it had a few other problems that ran the bill up from there.

taylorm

Finally got back from the shop. Of course they were not helpful. Claim everything runs and feels fine. I need some help providing some sort of quantified evidence that something is wrong with this van. Right now, all I have is what I know it should feel like from butt in the seat.

I'm planning to check for exhaust restrictions, then timing (peeping through the vacuum pump hole as suggested), then compression test.

What I would really love to see is some engine readings off my AP2000 that would show fuel flow and air flow that I could then benchmark. All I see is MAF readings in terms of mg/Hub and Fuel pressure, nothing that would indicate total flow which would be helpful.

Any suggestions?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Injected fuel quantity isn't viewable on the AP200, Only advanced scan tools can access that, as its behind a second level of security/diagnostics on the ECM.

You may be able to connect to the TCM and view the output torque value. Not sure if that will be helpful though.

The MAF reading is mg per revolution (hub). Which is a valid measurement. I don't recall the normal values off hand. The mg/hub value should increase with engine load, but not necessarily with RPM (mg/second would increase with RPM).

Top Bottom