No gear selection on automatic NVC3 sprinter 313 cdi

Bub1664

I was driving home when my revs went up high and I lost all power, then it clunked back in for another mile the the same happened again, I pulled over and turned off the engine waited 5 minutes then started it up but when I put it in drive nothing happened, I tried using the manual gear selector and reverse but still nothing, any ideas guys

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Possibly (probably?) you're low on transmission fluid?
While it was running, the foam kept you going.
Once stopped and cold, there wasn't enough to engage things.

--dick

Bub1664

My local garage has plugged their laptop in it and has come back with it is the torque converter and has probably ruined the gearbox in the process which will be costly to repair, is this reality or them trying it on to make some money.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
How many miles has the van covered and what is its approx weight (ie is it a MH running at near GVW the whole time)?

Have seen other reports of torque converters failing at 100,000 + miles on MH's and then the debris destroys the trans.

Bub1664

Thank you for all the replies, I Have finally got round to checking the fluid but got no reading on the dipstick ? What fluid is best for topping up the transmission, I’m in the uk.

lindenengineering

Haha
Job number one BEFORE you resort to a scanner, you check the bloody fluid level first!
Its called base lining

You know way back when there were no scanners, but capable UK mechanics on that island , we first checked the fluid level on all those semi & fully auto boxes in Leyland /AEC/Bristol and Daimler deckers running about in the UK . Even when the likes of Walls Ice Cream and Birds Eye Foods started using two pedal trucks (to the trucking business ) it was check the blasted level FIRST!
That was in the late 1960's and early 70's,
What one earth is going on over there ? :mad:
Dennis

Top Bottom