Cut power wires on diesel heater?

sunride_tribe

2013 170" HR Bluetec
Curious if anyone has cut the power wires after the fuses, specifically on the Planar heaters, in order to install directly to the fuse block?

Im thinking about installing one of the new Ecoflow Power Kit systems in our next van and there is no way to connect directly to the battery. Looks like everything to be powered needs to go to the power control module.

I'd like to also install a Planar 2D heater, but having already installed one of these in another van I know the power cord comes with rings to go directly to the battery. Just curious if anyone else has cut and installed their heater to their fuse block and how it's held up or if you've had any issues with trouble codes.

Motormad

I can't help you with a Planar heater, but on my Eberspacher D5E heater I took the supplied loom apart, removed the bits I didn't need, added some cables I did want (my furnace is under the van with an additional pump for the engine circulation), and taped the whole lot back up again. About the only cables I didn't mess with were the bus cables, although I did de-pin the plug so I could route through a grommet.
While doing this, I removed their supplier fuse block as it was designed to support a high current fan that I am not running through the Espar control, so the supply wire could also be suitably re-sized.

sparkplug

If I've understood the question correctly, you're thinking of powering the Planar directly from the Ecoflow though one of the power outlets?

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work but things to look out for would be what the outlet is rated to handle and cable length/size

I've not used a Planar but both the Espar D2 and the Chinese clones I've used have pulled around 9A on startup for a few minutes (this is the glow plug heating up ready to ignite the fuel. Once you have flame then the glow plug turns off)

I'm also not very familiar with the Ecoflow range specifically but I know that a lot of the Jackery/Bluetti ones have 20A outputs and that's what I would be connecting to if you have one.

The other thing to consider is voltage drop (I found this guide very helpful if you're not familiar with it) and making sure you have the correct cable size. There are lots of online calculators to help you choose the right cable.

Other than that I think you should be fine.

Caveat emptor - I am not an electrician, I'm just speaking from my own personal experience of working with 12v systems and diesel heaters. Perhaps someone with qualifications will be along in a minute to contradict me. If they do, then listen to them!

Top Bottom