Failed high pressure fuel pump

SeattleMatt

I will follow up with more details, but basically I have a failing high pressure fuel pump.

OM651 2014 160k miles

At this point my theory is that the PO put gas in the tank and sold it to me soon after.

When I bought the van it was immediately throwing P0088E8
P0088E9

Attachments

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Had the HP failed on my OM651, but at much higher mileage.
I took the pump apart and when direct failure was broken spring, the pump did show some wear, so it is definitely a wearable.
My pump failed at freeway speed and that created a phenomena, who melted all of my injector tips.
So I would not wait on the fix.

SeattleMatt

Kajtek1,

Yeah thanks for your reply I read your whole story, that sounds like a total s*** show. I'm from Montana I can totally relate with that whole experience.

Did you happen to take any pictures or have any links or guides that you use to do the pump replacement never mind you paid to have someone do it. I'm going to be doing it myself for sure so not looking forward to it. While I'm at it I'm going to have to replace the water pump because I'm getting that code as well.

I assume I will probably need all intake manifold gaskets if there is such a thing so there's a few other gaskets I am assuming I'll need going to have to start a list.

Unfortunately the pump is like $900 so once I buy it then I'm committed to replacing it.

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
There is no need to remove the intake manifold itself, only the bottom section that holds the throttle valve will need to be removed out of the way in order to make space for taking the 3 bolts off that hold the pump in place. If you do not have a lift, get yourself some padding for your back. It is not fun to pull that pump out!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Unfortunately the pump is like $900 so once I buy it then I'm committed to replacing it.
The dealer charged me above $2000 for new pump.
I would double check what Eric suggest, but again, the pump is wearable. Dennis suggest that they fail prematurely due to gasoline in the fuel and when mine failed at about 260k miles, the wear was pretty visible. Previous owners of that Sprinter were commercial people, so I don't suspect them of fueling gasoline.
On OM651 I see the pump pretty easy accessible. When in the instance above, I did not do the job, I see it pretty accessible.
Actually for my present Sprinter with OM642 engine I already bought spare, used pump as they go in Europe for about $100.
Technically I don't see much work to take the pump out and inspect it.
When I am not professional in automotive business, I did quite a bit of work on high pressure systems, include scuba equipment.
It require clinical cleanest and precision, but beside that it is mostly straight-forward job.

Ivan Borisovich

The dealer charged me above $2000 for new pump.
I would double check what Eric suggest, but again, the pump is wearable. Dennis suggest that they fail prematurely due to gasoline in the fuel and when mine failed at about 260k miles, the wear was pretty visible. Previous owners of that Sprinter were commercial people, so I don't suspect them of fueling gasoline.
On OM651 I see the pump pretty easy accessible. When in the instance above, I did not do the job, I see it pretty accessible.
Actually for my present Sprinter with OM642 engine I already bought spare, used pump as they go in Europe for about $100.
Technically I don't see much work to take the pump out and inspect it.
When I am not professional in automotive business, I did quite a bit of work on high pressure systems, include scuba equipment.
It require clinical cleanest and precision, but beside that it is mostly straight-forward job.
The HP pump on OM651 is NOT easily accessible.

SeattleMatt

Yes on the om651 the EGR cooler and intake manifold look like they need to be removed for easy access. I guess I could get away with removing minimals but I probably will remove it all.

Once the pump is out I can curious how much of it can be disassembled to inspect. If I do disassemble and find there's no problem there I would consider reinstalling it.

Well I'm in there I will be taking a look at the oil pressure solenoid and replacing it with the newer version that does not adjust since it looks like it's in that same area.

Ivan Borisovich

Yes on the om651 the EGR cooler and intake manifold look like they need to be removed for easy access. I guess I could get away with removing minimals but I probably will remove it all.

Once the pump is out I can curious how much of it can be disassembled to inspect. If I do disassemble and find there's no problem there I would consider reinstalling it.

Well I'm in there I will be taking a look at the oil pressure solenoid and replacing it with the newer version that does not adjust since it looks like it's in that same area.
If you take the egr cooler and intake off it will be far easier to get to the pump.

Attachments

SeattleMatt

Removal of EGR cooler took me a better part of 4 hours. I did not find any information online on a procedures on this EGR removal for on 651 on the sprinter. I did find a couple of videos that were just terrible, one guy had a coughing attack the whole time he was making the video.

I'm going to try to make an sop for this if I have time I did some pictures and recordings.

Today I will start on the fuel filter housing and intake manifold.

Ivan Borisovich

Removal of EGR cooler took me a better part of 4 hours. I did not find any information online on a procedures on this EGR removal for on 651 on the sprinter. I did find a couple of videos that were just terrible, one guy had a coughing attack the whole time he was making the video.

I'm going to try to make an sop for this if I have time I did some pictures and recordings.

Today I will start on the fuel filter housing and intake manifold.
It is not easy to take the HP pump off the OM651 engine. I swapped an engine 3 weeks ago and after I put in the new/donor engine I discovered that the HP pump was bad. It would have been very easy to change the pump before installing the engine, but ended up doing it like you are about to do it.

I modified the software by switching off the DEF DPF EGR and the van runs like new.

Attachments

SeattleMatt

Following up on this,

After replacing the pump the issue was still there. So I continued to diagnose and since Xentry only said the HPFP was failed, I moved on to the sensor. In the spirit of throwing parts at it, I went ahead and ordered a whole new fuel rail for $360 (bosch) and slapped it in, problem solved. So we can assume the problem was the y74 all along.

In retrospect I think I should have taken Xentry test results with a grain of salt as in this case it was simply wrong due to its limitations of measuring when the measuring tool is what's failed.IMG_20230202_162140434.jpg

Gambit74

Hi,

I've changed this pump on an om651 engine... only in a different vehicle. Information on this pump is not easy to find on the web.
My original pump failed and after replacing it, it was hard to start and after it did start it was blowing white smoke constantly out the exhaust. Did I mess up the timing? Is there timing with this pump? Only markings I can see on the fuel pump is a 1 a 0 and an E. But all are on the retaining nut, so I don't know.

If anyone knows if there is timing and if so, how to do it, it would be very much appreciated.

Top Bottom