Engine won’t start but drivers panel is lit

dbrogie

Went camping this weekend for 2 nights. We had 30 amp power and water hookup. Came home and next morning cleaned the van. While cleaning we tested the generator (it’s been giving us trouble, was ‘fixed’ once and worked fine in its own before the said camping trip.
We looked at fuses and all seemed fine.
The van has been sitting 4 days now and the MB dealership has no openings until November 5…about 6 more weeks. We turned the all-power switch of the house functions off, and decided to remove the chassis battery plug (ground) at the driver gas pedal well location.
All fine and good, but now the electronic locking system does not work. Obvious in hindsight. Choice, leave van unlocked or slowly lose starting battery capacity?

I will order a maintenance battery charger this evening. Is there a way to lock the doors manually?

dbrogie

By the way, after trying to start the engine we tested the keys, checked batteries for charge, and tried jump starting…and the jump did not take. All the warning lights that come with the vehicle worked on the driver display panel, and went off…except the check engine light…We do not think this is a battery issue but a relay from ignition to starter issue. But, check engine light may be saying something else.

JIB

I suspect, but have never tried it but all the door locks can be locked manually from the inside and since you can unlock it from the outside, uou should be able to use the key inside the key fob to lock the driver's door on the way out.

My only question is the slider. I don't have my 2019 here, but I am pretty sure it has an inside manual lock too.

Jack

FlaJoe

Starter battery can be disconnected and all doors (including slider and rear, which can be opened, and locked, and shut) but the driver door locked manually. Should remove red fuse 32 under driver seat. Driver door can then be locked with the physical hard key in the fob.

Last edited:

mackmgg

Mine's a '21, but you can try the suggestions here:

The big thing to check is if the engine is properly grounded. That's what ended up being the issue for mine, and the guy at the dealership said it affects a good chunk of vans coming in!

my_vw_sucks

Nevermind. Figured it out. Pyrofuse on battery blew due to accident.

I’m having a similar issue as the original poster. Only difference is the battery went dead after the van rolled onto the driver side. The curtain airbags deployed. I was unable turn off the ignition because I couldn’t open the driver door. Then the van sat for 2 weeks.

Now I’m trying to get it started. I can get all the dash lights to come on. Glow plugs activate but nothing after that. Is there a minimum voltage the battery needs to be at to start even with a jump? Also, I have no positive terminal under the hood. I do have an under hood aux battery, but can’t imagine one can connect the jumper cables to that to start. I’m trying to jump directly at the battery under the drivers feet. I’m wondering if has anything to do with the airbag deployment. I am getting warnings on the dash about airbag malfunctions but don’t think that’s the issue. There is a batter logo that keeps coming up on the dash and to see the owners manual.

I’m going to take a look at the engine ground, as someone suggested, to see if something got damaged in the roll.

If anyone’s interested in the rollover here’s a pics. Slid on ice trying to get out of my driveway and down a hill.

5921DDD1-6865-47B9-AFB6-7E143BCF9000.jpeg

Last edited:

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
I'm amazed the windshield didn't break or pop free. Sorry for your loss. Must have been a surreal ride.

my_vw_sucks

I'm amazed the windshield didn't break or pop free. Sorry for your loss. Must have been a surreal ride.
It did when the tow company botched the recovery and dropped it. Operator ripped off the winch hook when they pulled it into the snatch block.

Top Bottom