Ecoflow power kit opinion?

Imported

I've been reading, looking at videos about this Ecoflow power kit for my build. I like the facts it is a pretty simple plug and play system and would save me some time. As far pricing for a 5kwh system about $7.5K. Also by comparison DIY system probably will spend up $5-6K if I'm correct. Is anyone can chime in what they think? Also how many kwh system most people use?

Last edited:
I've been analyzing this exact same question. I've been chatting with EcoFlow's tech support for two weeks with some very specific questions. and I believe the EcoFlow is actually a better buy then a high quality DIY system, not even counting the time saved in labor. I've built many systems and vehicles over the years and there are many levels of DIY but if you go with high quality components, oversized wires, clean layouts and high quality heated LiFEO4 batteries you'll be at there price or higher. I spent far too much time putting spreadsheets together comparing various ways to put a system together to convince myself that I could do it for less but the EcoFlow wins hands down. Bang for buck it sounds amazing - whether it proves to live up to the specs is unknown but I suspect it will. The only real downside I see is the lack of single component servicing but the unit itself it bound to be more robust than most DIY work anyway and its all tucked into a nice PowerHub. I would guess that with time individual parts on the unit will also become replaceable.

When comparing the EcoFlow Power Kits to any other system and the 12 volt systems most people do in the van world, remember it is a 48 volt system, so anyone comparing to the EcoFlow should remember to convert their Amp-Hours to Watt-Hours for an apple to apple comparison to really understand how much is packed into this unit.

I'll definitely be purchasing the 5kWh unit myself very shortly for my next build. The size is completely dependent on what you plan to do with your vehicle.

Cheers

mike2016

I received my 5kw kit.

DeltaFlow is a quality brand they've been making battery accessories for a while.

It's based on a 48V battery, it's user selectable either 24V or 12V output for the DC circuit.

the math for conversion is simple - 5kW @ 48V = 104A/hours @ 48V = 104x4 = 416A/ hours at 12V

The simplicity and integration alone is worth the few extra bucks.
Buying 4x battle born 100A 12V batteries + MPPT + Inverter/Charger + misc will set you back well over 6k, not counting the massive extra wires

Attachments

I received my 5kw kit.

DeltaFlow is a quality brand they've been making battery accessories for a while.

It's based on a 48V battery, it's user selectable either 24V or 12V output for the DC circuit.

the math for conversion is simple - 5kW @ 48V = 104A/hours @ 48V = 104x4 = 416A/ hours at 12V

The simplicity and integration alone is worth the few extra bucks.
Buying 4x battle born 100A 12V batteries + MPPT + Inverter/Charger + misc will set you back well over 6k, not counting the massive extra wires
Mike - congrats on that system, I'm excited to try one out on my next build. What size/style blade fuses are on the Power Distribution box? I know the dist-box rated for 70 Amps @ 12 VDC and 60 Amps @ 24 VDC but it looks like regular ATO auto fuses, not the MAXI's which I think only go up to 30 Amps. Can you verify?

Also, can you tell how many wires are in the Power Hub to Distribution box loom? Thinking I may need to skip the distribution box to get over 30 Amps per DC circuit if they are indeed ATO blade fuses. Lemino - thanks!

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
I've been reading, looking at videos about this Ecoflow power kit for my build. I like the facts it is a pretty simple plug and play system and would save me some time. As far pricing for a 5kwh system about $7.5K. Also by comparison DIY system probably will spend up $5-6K if I'm correct. Is anyone can chime in what they think? Also how many kwh system most people use?
There are at least two existing threads on this topic. What do people think?? Mac/Windows? Democrat/Republican? Blah/Blah
Better to ask specific questions. But nobody will really know about this system until either more people install them, or the price comes down.

Me personally, I think its a great idea for an all-in-one simplified system. Its also a bad idea to have a system all-in-one.
I say go for it! And report back on how happy you are (or not) with your decision.

mike2016

Mike - congrats on that system, I'm excited to try one out on my next build. What size/style blade fuses are on the Power Distribution box? I know the dist-box rated for 70 Amps @ 12 VDC and 60 Amps @ 24 VDC but it looks like regular ATO auto fuses, not the MAXI's which I think only go up to 30 Amps. Can you verify?

Also, can you tell how many wires are in the Power Hub to Distribution box loom? Thinking I may need to skip the distribution box to get over 30 Amps per DC circuit if they are indeed ATO blade fuses. Lemino - thanks!

They are regular auto fuses and each DC port is rated for 20A max.

The loom that goes from the Power Hub to the Distribution box, it's just 2 wires.

I need to run a 24V air conditioning unit that draws 45A, I'll just tap into the "DC IN" on the distribution panel and wire a separate fuse for it.
The cable that goes from hub to distribution box is 6AWG.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

Thanks for posting this Mike. Your pics answered some of my lingering questions.

I’ll also be running a 24 Volt Air conditioner from CNC. I’ll need a 50 amp fuse on it. As cool as that distribution block is, I may forgo it and use another solution for that to get the full output.

Let me know how your like it!

And FYI - I believe you can get 48 volts DC out of this if you are only using 2 of the 3 battery ports - the third can be used for 48 volts dc output at whatever the other two batteries will put out for amps.

mike2016

Yea I asked EcoFlow specifically about the A/C high power concern with the DC ports, they recommend that I use the DC out from the Power Hub directly.

I didn't know about the 3rd batt port can be used like that. I'll take a look at the user manual tomorrow. they don't even have it online yet.

Yea I asked EcoFlow specifically about the A/C high power concern with the DC ports, they recommend that I use the DC out from the Power Hub directly.

I didn't know about the 3rd batt port can be used like that. I'll take a look at the user manual tomorrow. they don't even have it online yet.
Yea the 48 VDC out using the 3rd port was mentioned after 4 rounds of back and forth but it sounds like it will work. I wonder if it is even mentioned in the manual. Please let me know!

To quote directly:

If you want to use the new EcoFlow Powerkit for 48 Volts DC, you can use it in 2 ways.
1. The 2KWH/5KWH LFP battery connect to Polarity Adapter and BusBar can support the 48V appliance, but the cable needs DIY by yourself.
2. There are 3 battery ports of the power hub, the third battery port can output 48 Volts DC to support the appliance if you just buy 2 batteries, but the cable needs to be customized by us.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Nice shot of internals for reference
They did a nice job on the execution of form, space, and aesthetics on this unit.
Attached is a lighter copy of your pic, it may be easier to see for some.
I notice only one 120vac outlet, nice that it’s 20a. Are there more elsewhere?
Please keep us posted on this system, it’s a great concept.
F405CDAA-A983-4CC5-A7EF-5C3377A2608C.jpeg

Last edited:
The AC outlet is 20 Amps and 2400 Watts. There is also an AC output with a proprietary plug on the side of the unit that runs to their optional distribution block which has 6 20 Amp AC breakers and 12 DC fuses. If you don't use the distribution block you can use that proprietary cable to run to your own AC panel. That would be limited to: 30A Max, 120V, 3600W (6000W Surge) (3000W @ Battery Voltage < 50V)

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
The AC outlet is 20 Amps and 2400 Watts. There is also an AC output with a proprietary plug on the side of the unit that runs to their optional distribution block which has 6 20 Amp AC breakers and 12 DC fuses. If you don't use the distribution block you can use that proprietary cable to run to your own AC panel. That would be limited to: 30A Max, 120V, 3600W (6000W Surge) (3000W @ Battery Voltage < 50V)
Thanks. I really dislike the proprietary connectors these companies use.
They’re usually bulky and awkward, but I get why they use them.

blutow

Looks interesting. It kind of fills the gap between a full custom built system vs. something like a goal zero "all in one". I expect it will appeal to the folks who just want to buy/install something without too much thought. I'm personally not a fan of combining everything into a single unit with all the proprietary aspects, but that approach definitely has some advantages that will appeal to some people. It will be interesting to see how the performance/reliability/support is going forward. If it works well and proves to be reliable, they will sell some systems.

I tried to find some detailed specs on the powerhub to see actual performance/features of the inverter, etc., but no luck. Their website is a hot mess, so specs might be in there somewhere, but I couldn't find them.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
All in one’s have their place. Buy, secure in van, charge, and you’re ready for an adventure.
Also portable in some cases.
Doesn’t mean you can’t still build a custom system just for you later.
I have a Bluetti AC200max. It’s a meager system yes, but has been getting me by while I watch battery prices drop and features go up. Mainly runs fridge and fans, and occasionally an induction cooktop, and I have run a small 250w electric heater on it for a short while a few times. Charges off Solar and the factory lighter outlets in back.
I’ve used it in the house during power outages to run my fridge, internet, tv, microwave, iphone/ipad chargers etc.

Having 5kwh expandable to 15kwh in a relatively portable system would be pretty cool as long as it’s dependable, modular, not too bulky and heavy, and well designed. And yeah proprietary cables are a buzzkill.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 years from now there are very powerful, portable, and well designed systems available with 200amp / 120/240Vac / split phase whole house capability.

I’d love to see that.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It seems like an interesting product, but availability of components long term is a bit of a concern for me at this point. These "black box" units with all custom hardware have caused me trouble in the past, with simple usability features (possible via firmware) never being added, and the software being abandoned when the next revision comes out. Hopefully that's not the case here.

My other concern is the proprietary connectors. They are definitely more user friendly and compact than terminal bars, but that also makes changes later hard, especially if the company stops support, goes under, or gets acquired.

Last edited:

zoopla

Hi Mike,

reviving your post here but I was slso searching on how to hookup my 40A, 24v AC unit. How did you ended up doing it? Cheers Pat

zoopla

Actually, Ecoflow just answered my question: ?

Ted (EcoFlow)
Nov 29, 2022, 05:46 EST
Dear Pat,

Good day.

The fuse is blade fuse, you can have a 60A blade fuse from the third party and plug in.
It doesn't damage the distribution panel because it can accept 60A output

mike2016

Yea that's what they told me. I will just wire directly to the "DC IN" posts on the distribution box where the DC power comes in from the main unit.

I haven't got to wiring up any electrical yet, still working on framing.

Top Bottom