Batteries...

nebep

So, I decided I was going to take the plunge - we're heading out in late June with lodging plans in one place, we're planning to be out for a month.

My thanks to D_Bertko for "settin' me on a better path" in regards to batteries!!

Here we have the batteries - 4 DEKA golf cart batteries - 230Ah capacity ea. 6V. (I don't know why, but, I have a close friend who's a BatteriesPlus! manager - he called me when he got them, then, while I was there was taking the Deka labels off and putting the Rayovac labels on....)

The plan is to, (forgive if the terminology is goofed up. I think I mix parallel and series all the time!!), make two banks, with two batteries each.

First - two batteries will be combined by wiring in series to make a 12V, 230 Ah battery.

Second - the two banks will be wired in parallel to increase current to the 460Ah.

(Again - forgive me if I mixed those!!)

photo.jpg

Another shot. There are two brackets holding the load - not just one.

photo 4.jpg

Here's todays "test fit" - The ends get bolted to the frame rails, and the middle gets bolted to the floor. We cut holes with the hole saw through the flooring to the bolt head and washer would be recessed and not become a tripping hazard.

photo 5.jpg

And yes, some parts were "temporarily adjusted" for this -

Tailpipe cut off at the muffler:

photo 2.jpg

Drive shaft removed:

photo 5.jpg

The exhaust is going to be adjusted. I know in one of the pictures it looks like the exhaust is running straight into the front of a battery, and, in fact, your eyes aren't deceiving you!

Before we started this project, I found a muffler shop just down the street from the location we're doing this work at so it wouldn't be a long ride to get it re-routed once the batteries were in.

Attachments

Last edited:

nebep

Disconnect the soon to be arriving plug between the banks, and the one that runs into the truck, loosen four bolts on each one, and have the floor jack ready!!

The frame attachments are meant to stay in place. The boxes are just bolted to those with GRADE 8 hardware.

They'll be coming back down this week for powder coating and figuring out some protection for the front sides and bottom.

nebep

This is the start of a larger "rethink" - I had no idea 80/20 e isted before we built our bed frame.

We are putting a Xantrex HF1800 inverter/charger/converter in as well. We also will have the capability of charging via solar. We chose PowerFilm 60 watt foldable panels and a morningstar MPPT charge controller.

My brother and I talked about a cool idea with 80/20 -

Square off around the wheel wells. In the middle set up three panels. The rearmost panel will pivot on the back. The middle one will hinge on both ends. The back end will tilt up, forming the back of a couch. The front of the middle section will hinge the opposite direction. The front panel will slide. When flat, it'll be a bed. When "folded", it will be a seating area.

Along with that, when folded as a seat, it will slide forward creating storage space while on the way.

We also installed the second Maxxair. The Dometic CF-110 is on the way. We added some red LEDs for night lights.

nebep

What are your comments on Maxxair vs. Fantastic? What model Maxxair? Battery rack looks well designed.
I have no comments on Fantastic.

We've only been on the road with one Maxxair and it did a stellar job. The second one is an experiement. Since they're reversible, we want to see how much of effect there is on temperature if we have one bringing air in and the other taking air out.

I chose the Maxxair cuz I liked the cover design. One of our is remote controlled(rear) while the other is all manual(front).

Thanks for the "battery rack kudos" - My brother developed the design, they're brick s*&t houses for sure. We do have some final tweaking/finishing to do, but I think they'll do a great job. The only direction I gave him was:

- they're gonna be heavy batteries
- I'd love for 'em to be as low and balanced from side to side as possible

...and what you see is what he came up with....

The tweaks and finishes:

Since we have two banks, we're going to put a plug in so when we take them down, we can just unplug the two banks, and unplug the output of both banks from the truck.

We're going to be putting sheet steel over the front and bottom for guaranteed protection from road debris.

The bolts on the permanent pieces will be tacked down form the top so that removal will just take one wrench, 9/16" to be specific.

All of it will be powder coated, hopefully this week or next.

We've also made some adjustments to the LEDs inside. Because of the front fan installation, we move one white LED. We've put three RED LEDs in towards the front for night time light.

I picked up a Blue Sea power distribution panel - We're going to install two sets of switches - ones near the driver, and one over the bed in the rear so that the lights are controllable from front or back.

We're putting a shore power connection on the rear left.

In other posts, I put up pictures of our awning lights. They're amber LEDs. I found a 3 conductor trolling motor plug made by marinco. We're going to install that near the back end of our awning and set it up as follows:

1 line will be a common ground
1 will be a voltage output for the awning lights
1 will be a voltage input for our foldable solar panels running to our charge controller

We also got a Xantrex HF1800 inverter/charger and a master battery switch.

Based on my calculations, the solar panels will be able to keep up with our current draw. BUT, we don't have the panels permanently mounted since they're foldable. I think before this is all over we'll have a permanently mounted/solid panel on the roof of this truck.

We've taken out the dorm fridge we were trying to use. It worked well, still works, and has a new home already. We've stepped up to a Dometic CF-110. It has more room, but, on top of that, it has better designed space for traveling.

The plan next year is to redo the bed frame with 80/20 and set up some compartments. We've got a cool plan for this :)

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Very nice looking work. Looks like those should hold a battery well.
If the Dometic CF110 is the same as our Waeco CF110, you'll love it. Ours has been the favored feature of the van by all the cooks who use it, especially having it powered by the solar panel and battery. Quiet, efficient and reliable, it works great with just the one 95 AH battery.
If you go the permanent mount solar panel, check the warranty on the panel as to whether it is approved for RV's. Some home models will not hold up to the job, verifying once again, you get what you pay for.
Jef

nebep

Very nice looking work. Looks like those should hold a battery well.
If the Dometic CF110 is the same as our Waeco CF110, you'll love it. Ours has been the favored feature of the van by all the cooks who use it, especially having it powered by the solar panel and battery. Quiet, efficient and reliable, it works great with just the one 95 AH battery.
If you go the permanent mount solar panel, check the warranty on the panel as to whether it is approved for RV's. Some home models will not hold up to the job, verifying once again, you get what you pay for.
Jef

GREAT advice on the panel! thanks a TON Jeff!!

Get ready - this truck'll probably be in OR in '11....we're back in Reno, then, going to head west to do more in OR and WA....

Top Bottom