Owl Vans B2 vs Sherpa

dvlogic

Hi I'm mixed about which passenger side rear carrier rack to purchase. I want the option to stow stuff on the back such as extra fuel, traction pads, etc. I also want to be able to carry bikes, with 1-up trays, on the outside (probably vertically but possibly horizontal if other stuff is mounted).

I think if I were to get the B2, I would end up also buying one or two mini sherpa's. Going the B2 route will definitely be way more costly.

I would love to hear what others have ended up buying and why.

hardstatic

We purchased a Sherpa before we decided on what we wanted. Now considering selling the Sherpa and getting a B2 as we are putting a medium storage box on the back. Sherpa just feels like a lot of wasted metal. The Sherpa hole pattern doesn't even support Maxtrax mounting - it's a little aggravating. B2 with a medium or large box, bike mount or mini sherpa is the way to go, in my opinion. Bit more costly, but you're driving a Mercedes for Pete's sake, get over it. :)

erik.wahlstrom

I’m curious what you store in the box. I’m having exactly the same internal discussion and while the box makes sense, I don’t actually know what I’d store in it.

fireball05

Newly arrived 2021 144HR 4x4 passenger
We plan to store.... anything that stinks!

With four boys, it shouldn't be hard: Wet swimsuits. Soccer cleats. Muddy MTB shoes. Sweaty clothes. Dirty diapers. Dog poop bags. Etc, etc.

hardstatic

We purchased a Sherpa before we decided on what we wanted. Now considering selling the Sherpa and getting a B2 as we are putting a medium storage box on the back. Sherpa just feels like a lot of wasted metal. The Sherpa hole pattern doesn't even support Maxtrax mounting - it's a little aggravating. B2 with a medium or large box, bike mount or mini sherpa is the way to go, in my opinion. Bit more costly, but you're driving a Mercedes for Pete's sake, get over it. :)
Recovery gear, combustibles, or wet/dirty equipment. It sticks out about as far as the spare tire, so i'm kinda like, yep, makes sense. We bought the Owl shelf thingamajig as well, so i'm working to fashion up some sort of bracket or mounting system that will allow me to mount my Lifesaver Jerrycan in a usable manner.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I agree with pretty much everything here except the you bought a Mercedes so get over it. They’re pretty similar in cost to a transit all wheel drive and just because we bought a Mercedes doesn’t mean we like to spend money unnecessarily. But hey maybe that’s just me. ?

I have not bought either one of the racks yet but plan on the B2 with a medium box and mini sharpa(s).
It just seems to make the most sense to me.

And thanks for the info regarding the Sherpa not fitting the max tracks. First I’ve heard of that. Seems Owl really blew that one.

otisdog7

I'm mounting the expedition box to my Sherpa, and cutting about 1.5 square feet off of the upper center of the Sherpa...I want my passenger side rear view back. The box provides the only legal place to carry an open container.

hardstatic

I agree with pretty much everything here except the you bought a Mercedes so get over it. They’re pretty similar in cost to a transit all wheel drive and just because we bought a Mercedes doesn’t mean we like to spend money unnecessarily. But hey maybe that’s just me. ?

I have not bought either one of the racks yet but plan on the B2 with a medium box and mini sharpa(s).
It just seems to make the most sense to me.

And thanks for the info regarding the Sherpa not fitting the max tracks. First I’ve heard of that. Seems Owl really blew that one.
My comment was more of a joke about the Mercedes - I don't like to needlessly spend money either. Probably came off more harsh than I meant it.

The hole pattern on the Sherpa seemed thrown together. The upcoming Vanspeed Mule https://thevanmart.com/collections/...r-frame-passenger-side?variant=39822647525475 or Agile's option https://agileoffroad.com/product/rdo-cargo-carrier/ look like they might be good alternatives?

And yeah, I went to mount our Maxtrax and was just, like, seriously? I saw a few folks at Overland Expo with Sherpa's and they had to drill new holes to mount all the things. I even tried to find a bracket that would work - but now i'm paying for a small bracket, to make my BIG bracket (Sherpa) work... silly.

I'm a little disappointed with the Owl tire carrier as well. Our mounting plate has bent inward over time (not sure if it was us, or the shop who did our wrap), and the bump stop design could use improvement. I talk about it here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/106108/post-1232258

Not trying to bag on Owl, they are a great shop and make some killer products. Feedback is important though as we put these products to test in the real world.

Chasfast

2021 Low roof crew
We have the sherpa and an aftermarket box. Holds the chairs, hose, gas stove, moon shade etc. While the box is light I do know the weight of everything going in so I don't overload the hinges. Way better option than the trailer hitch rack we used at first. Only issue is the cost. But in my case my wife found it all used on Facebook and I paid $180 for the whole thing. Owl sold me the bits to mount the door bolt and I had to buy some spray paint to make the box black. Now we are looking for the match for the other door!

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
My comment was more of a joke about the Mercedes - I don't like to needlessly spend money either. Probably came off more harsh than I meant it.

The hole pattern on the Sherpa seemed thrown together. The upcoming Vanspeed Mule https://thevanmart.com/collections/...r-frame-passenger-side?variant=39822647525475 or Agile's option https://agileoffroad.com/product/rdo-cargo-carrier/ look like they might be good alternatives?

And yeah, I went to mount our Maxtrax and was just, like, seriously? I saw a few folks at Overland Expo with Sherpa's and they had to drill new holes to mount all the things. I even tried to find a bracket that would work - but now i'm paying for a small bracket, to make my BIG bracket (Sherpa) work... silly.

I'm a little disappointed with the Owl tire carrier as well. Our mounting plate has bent inward over time (not sure if it was us, or the shop who did our wrap), and the bump stop design could use improvement. I talk about it here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/106108/post-1232258

Not trying to bag on Owl, they are a great shop and make some killer products. Feedback is important though as we put these products to test in the real world.
Yeah maybe I took the comment too seriously. Not enough coffee yet. ??‍♂ I do really like the modularity that the Van Mart options offer. However the tubing does not look as robust as the Owl offerings, time will tell on their (Van Mart items) durability.

Last edited:

skier1950

Purchased and installed the B2 rack with 2 1up bike carriers and a large cargo box the beginning of the summer. I couldn't be happier with the unit. It can be a little difficult mounting my e-bikes on the 1up trays as the trays need to be mounted high to clear the hinge mounted spare tire carrier on the driver's side (I am also very pleased with the Owl spare carrier). Each bike weighs 45 lbs w/o the batteries and can be a little taxing to lift onto the 1ups. The large cargo box is big enough to store a lot of gear (e-bike batteries, firewood, tools etc). I highly recommend the units. Definitely bullet proof. One recommendation to Owl Vans, pre-drilling the mounting holes in the cargo box would make the installations so much easier.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Surprised regarding the no pre-drilling, they probably do not drill as people may use those boxes on a variety of mounting systems. But imo they should make it for their system and supply rubber plugs in case you do not use those same holes.

GJACK

2017 144 4x4
Bought the Sherpa when they first came out. I had a aluminum box built for my grill, wheel chocks, firewood starter, porti potti chems., DEF etc. Works great. Extra space on top of the box used for ax, driftwood, and what not. My box covers too much of the Sherpa so if I had it all to do over again I would get the B2, with mini Sherpa above it. It would be lighter weight and do the same thing. If I wasn't using a box, I would stick with the Sherpa.

Gear for experiences

There are many ways of using the Owl Van Sherpa, I have 2 medium aluminum box with propane tank and the B2 carrier on one side. You can fit up to 275 under the van with the Agile Offroad bracket.
See video how mine is set up:

Owl Van Bike Box Door Carrier Sprinter 4x4

Yeti22

Looking for some input on the Owl set up. I'm considering either 2 sherpa's, OR, 1 sherpa and the B2. Definitely putting on a large expedition box plus the open box topper thing. The other side would be used for 2 1ups (mounted vertical on the Sherpa) in the biking months and would change these out for ski racks in the short winter months. QUESTION: does anyone have any feedback on the vertical mounted 1ups? From what I have seen, it looks like it would be good? Thanks in advance...

Gear for experiences

I’ve had both for 3 years and lots of off-roading bouncing around. The B2 is rated for 150lbs due to the tubular construction and the Sherpa 100lbs. I would recommend the B2 if you off road without hesitation. The Sherpa is a good vertical 1up mount option if all you put is bikes, but it isn’t intended for both bikes + box. The Sherpa’s advantage is that it is very modular, so for your situation, wanting to switch between bikes and box, it give you more flexibility in regard to attachment points. ?

souvas

I've got the Owl rear ladder/spare carrier as well as the Sherpa and large box on the passenger side. If I had to do it again I would have gone with the B2 as it's stronger and can hold bike racks. With my current set up I'll have to add a hitch extender and a separate platform bike rack which just is not the most economical solution.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Looking for some input on the Owl set up. I'm considering either 2 sherpa's, OR, 1 sherpa and the B2. Definitely putting on a large expedition box plus the open box topper thing. The other side would be used for 2 1ups (mounted vertical on the Sherpa) in the biking months and would change these out for ski racks in the short winter months. QUESTION: does anyone have any feedback on the vertical mounted 1ups? From what I have seen, it looks like it would be good? Thanks in advance...
I see either side Sherpa for sale on a regular basis.
Most often the sherpa is slightly used before the seller “decided to go a different route.”
Sometimes the sherpa is still new in box.
I have not seen a B2 for sale. That tells me something.

Last edited:

Top Bottom