Alaska baby!

erik.wahlstrom

A little more than a weekend getaway, we went for 4 nights :). No complaints here, except I need to figure out the airing down thing....dang washboarded roads. Yes, we slept in the tent. Don't want to the kids growing up thinking sleeping in the van is camping. At
least not when the weather is above single digits :). Sub-zero, we're in the van, or most likely I'd be going alone :).

View attachment 229561View attachment 229562View attachment 229563View attachment 229564
Hey @IPT, Which rack are you using? I'm looking for something to bolt onto my factory rails and can support a Fiama S80 awning. It looks like you have exactly that going on!

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
June 17-18 or 24-25 ??
it will definitely be long days !
I will mention it to the folks at Trailercraft and Anch MB, Charlie too with his conversion company…

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
ahhhh… a weekend event for like minded folks with lots of room to spread out if wanted on a somewhat remote lake in Alaska isn’t going to be like Yosemite, Zion or Yellowstone in regards to crowds… it may be YOUR point to escape crowds but many enjoy the camaraderie of these types of small get togethers….

AK_Sprinter

I think a meet up could be fun. I wouldn't expect it to be huge. We are a thinly populated state, and there are only so many sprinter camper vans in AK. I expect a few folks from down south who happen to be traveling in the area will also attend, but I doubt many will make the trip up just for the meet up.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I’m thinking June 24-25 for a Rendezvous…
Solstice stuff is over, it’s the weekend before the 4th… the weather is usually awesome, 2nd run Reds won’t be in so it doesn’t affect fishing time nor will there be fishing crowds everywhere as is typical on the Kenai…
only problem is that it will be getting darker after the Solstice… by maybe 1-2 seconds, only around 20 hrs of sun… ???
the road to Cooper Lake is off of Snug Harbor Rd right at the Kenai Lake Bridge, it turns to gravel (State maintained) all the way to the lake.. good gravel all along the shore, no bathrooms or water faucets, strictly boondock camping… no ATT service either, I don’t know about Verizon…

IPT

Hey @IPT, Which rack are you using? I'm looking for something to bolt onto my factory rails and can support a Fiama S80 awning. It looks like you have exactly that going on!
Sorry, been offline for a while. It's the FVCO low pro rack. I really like it a lot. It's a bit of a misrepresentation though with the awning. You buy the adapter kit, but what it really entails is cutouts in the side rails so the stock awning mounts fit with the rack. The awning uses the stock mounting system, it's just that the rack is compatible with it. I thought the rack itself provided a mounting option that was some how better or easier, but what it really does is just makes the two compatible. I'll likely do solar, so I am fine with it, but for just the awning there was actually no need for the rack and I didn't fully grasp that when I bought it all.

IPT

I’m thinking June 24-25 for a Rendezvous…
Solstice stuff is over, it’s the weekend before the 4th… the weather is usually awesome, 2nd run Reds won’t be in so it doesn’t affect fishing time nor will there be fishing crowds everywhere as is typical on the Kenai…
only problem is that it will be getting darker after the Solstice… by maybe 1-2 seconds, only around 20 hrs of sun… ???
the road to Cooper Lake is off of Snug Harbor Rd right at the Kenai Lake Bridge, it turns to gravel (State maintained) all the way to the lake.. good gravel all along the shore, no bathrooms or water faucets, strictly boondock camping… no ATT service either, I don’t know about Verizon…
I'd be interested, though that's my daughters birthday so I don't know. She digs camping though and we've never been there.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
time to start planning for a rendezvous….
June 24-25, Cooper Lake…
from the Sterling Hwy at the Kenai Lake bridge turn onto Snug Harbor Rd, drive 9 miles to the Cooper Lake Rd “Y” and it’s about 3 miles up to the lake…
it’s a well maintained gravel road to the lake and miles of parking on gravel along the shore…
no cell coverage…
Cooper Lake is at 1,200’ elevation and around 10 miles long, this is a primitive boondock area, pack (drive) it in and pack (drive) it out…
0F9E4957-D2A7-403A-9666-DCC8494457CF.jpeg

Attachments

IPT

time to start planning for a rendezvous….
June 24-25, Cooper Lake…
from the Sterling Hwy at the Kenai Lake bridge turn onto Snug Harbor Rd, drive 9 miles to the Cooper Lake Rd “Y” and it’s about 3 miles up to the lake…
it’s a well maintained gravel road to the lake and miles of parking on gravel along the shore…
no cell coverage…
Cooper Lake is at 1,200’ elevation and around 10 miles long, this is a primitive boondock area, pack (drive) it in and pack (drive) it out…
View attachment 246673
We might be in. Wife is having a medical procedure sometime around then, and it's also my daughters Birthday that weekend....so, I'll have to see if we can swing it. I've never been there though and we are planning on going to more new places vs all the ones we usually go to!

C O L E M A N F U

King of all Manfu
We drove from Florida to Alaska back in 2018 and it was a life altering experience. Not a day goes by that I don't think about that epic summer on the road or tell a story about our adventure. Here's a look at the trip back......

Top Bottom