Any accountants or tax professionals? I have a question about the AEM settlement money

HVACer

I own a small service business and the business owns a Sprinter. I recently had the AEM performed and submitted my paperwork for the class action lawsuit settlement, which will be made out to my business name.

My accountant is on vacation for the next couple weeks so I figured I would ask here since there’s so many other people involved in this settlement.

Is the $3500~ I’ll be receiving from this settlement taxable? If so, how would I enter it into QuickBooks? I do all my own bookkeeping. For the last 10 years I’ve been in business all of the income my company has received has been entered as Job Income. But I can only assume that income from a settlement should be entered as a different type of income.

Of course I will confirm this with my accountant, but I just wanted to see if anyone else know how this works in the meantime.

45Kevin

Not an accountant either, but this money is to compensate you for inconvenience and added depreciation of your van.
It will probably be entered as a negative expense and offset by an accelerated depreciation expense.

Top Bottom