2007 View 23B - Shore Power Phantom Wattage?

Studta88

I recently purchased a 2200W Bluetti solar generator with a native 30 AMP plug. I hooked it up to my 2007 View / Navion 23B and realized very quickly that it was drawing over 2,400 watts while I had all fuses turned off! This eventually tripped the generator and the same thing happened when I hooked it up to a 15A outlet in my garage. I have no idea what is drawing this power! I was reading through the manual and decided to spend some time fully charging the house and vehicle batteries because it seemed likely that's where the 2400 watts were going, but no change after fully charging those.

I checked the 10/3 power cables and everything looked fine.

Hooking it up to the native LP generator and everything works flawlessly.

And idea what could be using this power? I have everything switched to off that I can find.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Does everything work fine when the solar generator is removed from the mix? The motorhome's electrical systems are working fine without it?
I'd say consult the Bluetti manufacturer and ask them why you're seeing this "phantom wattage".

Studta88

Everything works fine with the standard generator. Can't seem to connect to a standard 15 or 20 amp outlet though because of this power draw coming from somewhere and tripping the breakers (~2,400 watts). Just not sure if there is something onboard that would draw this amount of power that isn't connected to the fuse box.

Winterbagoal

I think the solar generator might simply be overmatched. How many watts/amps/volts is it supposed to be able to produce?
Not knowing the power output specs on your solar generator, and if you're connecting it to the standard 30A shore power connector, it doesn't seem to be up to the task. There are no secret 2400W draws hidden inside the motorhome's 30A shore power connection.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
If its tripping a standard 15 or 20A outlet breaker it likely has nothing to do with the “solar generator”. Since the 30A supply cable and its connections sound good I’d be looking at the power converter

Winterbagoal

"I recently purchased a 2200W Bluetti solar generator with a native 30 AMP plug. I hooked it up to my 2007 View / Navion 23B and realized very quickly that it was drawing over 2,400 watts while I had all fuses turned off! "
The only item that was newly introduced to the otherwise functional system, was the "solar power generator". As TJ says, it's probably the culprit.

FrankS

...and the same thing happened when I hooked it up to a 15A outlet in my garage....
have you ever tried this before? before connecting it to the "Solar power generator"? if not then there's a good chance the Bluetti is not the culprit and it was broken before

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
...and the same thing happened when I hooked it up to a 15A outlet in my garage....
Is IT the the RV plug or the solar generator plug to charge it? Not clear.

If everything works fine without the solar generator, the problem is the solar generator. If you are trying to charge the solar generator from a 15 amp outlet in your house and the house breakers trip, the problem is the solar generator.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
2400 watts is 20 amps at 120 v.
And you report that it trips the breaker on a 20 amp house outlet.

I'd cast a very suspicious eye on either the van's transfer switch (relay) or the wiring of the shore power inlet to the van's wiring.
People have posted photos of the wire nuts in that area coming loose leaving open wires waving in the breeze.

--dick

Top Bottom