2007 Mercedes Sprinter 906 2.1 311Cdi (UK spec)

MPSMark

Hello all,

I Own a 2007 Mercedes Sprinter 311Cdi with the 2.1L I4 Single turbo Diesel engine. The van has 196000 miles and has a new engine put In which has approx 80000 miles (old engine threw a rod!).

We have been chasing an UnderBoost P0299 code for months now and can not figure it out. Sometimes it will run fine, boost ok and run well without any strange noises

However recently it has been boost cutting in higher RPM. Almost sneezing and a strange whining noise under boost. During the boost cut the Turbo Actuator position is cut to 5% and the EGR valve cuts to 5%

The van has….
- New Turbo and Actuator (Garrett)
- New intercooler
- No visual damage to the turbo pipe work

When running, I open some diagnostics on my iCarSoft CR V3.0 and been checking a few things. When boost cuts the EGR and Actuator both cut off to 5% and won’t come back unless key turned off and on.

Also been looking at Exhaust Back Pressure, at 3000rpm I am seeing 3460hpa and 638hpa pressure differential in the DPF

I’ve got plenty of logs of data if any questions but at a complete loss of what’s causing this boost issue. Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Hello all,

I Own a 2007 Mercedes Sprinter 311Cdi with the 2.1L I4 Single turbo Diesel engine. The van has 196000 miles and has a new engine put In which has approx 80000 miles (old engine threw a rod!).

We have been chasing an UnderBoost P0299 code for months now and can not figure it out. Sometimes it will run fine, boost ok and run well without any strange noises

However recently it has been boost cutting in higher RPM. Almost sneezing and a strange whining noise under boost. During the boost cut the Turbo Actuator position is cut to 5% and the EGR valve cuts to 5%

The van has….
- New Turbo and Actuator (Garrett)
- New intercooler
- No visual damage to the turbo pipe work

When running, I open some diagnostics on my iCarSoft CR V3.0 and been checking a few things. When boost cuts the EGR and Actuator both cut off to 5% and won’t come back unless key turned off and on.

Also been looking at Exhaust Back Pressure, at 3000rpm I am seeing 3460hpa and 638hpa pressure differential in the DPF

I’ve got plenty of logs of data if any questions but at a complete loss of what’s causing this boost issue. Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated
3460hpa back pressure at what boost level? 2500hpa?

hippy

Hardware Modifier
Thanks for the welcome!

located in the Hertfordshire area
Not that far away then, I'm in Norfolk and also have a 2007 but the 511 instead if the 311.
I have a cloned xentry setup with DAS and the multiplexor so if you ever over this way I could plug it in for you and show you your fault codes both active and stored.

Sounds like limp mode when it goes down the 5% the mercedes software is easier to interpret and would point out what caused it.

Good luck

MPSMark

Going through data, just tried a short pull and the max boost pressure I can achieve is 2100hpa.

At that maximum boost,
- Charge Pressure Positioner = 86.35%
- Atmospheric Pressure = 1004hpa
- Engine speed = 3400rpm
- Exhaust back pressure = 2951hpa
- Pressure Diff in DPF = 440hpa

From an earlier run:

- Max boost pressure = 2194hpa
- Charge Pressure Positioner = 80.08%
- Engine speed = 3272rpm
- EGR position = 5.45%
- Atmospheric = 1001hpa
- Air mass per stroke = 827mg

It is very inconsistent at which RPM it sees max boost and wether it will actually get there, I’m assuming boost should be a lot higher?
during that second set of data is when the boost would cut shortly after

I’ve noticed on idle, the turbo actuator seems to have some interference of a lot of movement for a consistent rpm.Sitting stationary it will vary from 95 to 89 percent just sitting there

MPSMark

Not that far away then, I'm in Norfolk and also have a 2007 but the 511 instead if the 311.
I have a cloned xentry setup with DAS and the multiplexor so if you ever over this way I could plug it in for you and show you your fault codes both active and stored.

Sounds like limp mode when it goes down the 5% the mercedes software is easier to interpret and would point out what caused it.

Good luck
Hi!
Thanks for the message, the code that does come up is the usual P0299 under boost code. I’ve got a ICarSoft CRV3.0 scanner with the sprinter software loaded

mustavago

Just a thought are all your intercooler pipes sealed, if they are get someone to rev the engine and look for collapsing pipes as they are laminated in layers and can breakdown and suck a trapped air bubble causing a bleb to block airrflow

Top Bottom