• Average

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Fair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marklg

This is a new shop in Glendale AZ. The owner has a T1N and seems knowledgeable, but I've not had any work done there yet.

marklg

I did get some work done there, a coolant flush and a transmission fluid change. I have a mixed review.

The good:

They are friendly and professional. They provide an estimate ahead of time. They did good work. It was done promptly.

The bad:

They are kind of expensive and they maybe push the upsell a little too much. They did an inspection and found some things that were actually wrong, but the suggested repair was the most expensive possible, replace hoses rather than tighten a bolt. Some of the work suggested had already been done, suggesting the fuel filter had never been replaced when I know it has been several times.

SirLaffalot

As a full-time RVer and proud owner of a 2008 Sprinter 3500 extended body, NCV3 with OM642 diesel engine, with RV conversion by PleasureWay, I am thrilled to have discovered The Benz Shop! When I checked them out, I found the shop to be clean, organized, and well-equipped.

Recently, while heading into Arizona from Mexico, our RV was behaving strangely when on auto speed control. I tried another shop for some other small repair, but I wasn't impressed and they didn't have a lift that would accomodate the RV anyway. Dealer service is always last resort in my experience - too expensive and sometimes dishonest. I do a lot of work myself but I'm too old for heavy lifting and, as a full-timer in a van, carry only the absolutely necessary tools.

I was guessing that the issue might have been related to the motor mounts which were original with 170,000 miles and lots of bad Mexican roads. The Benz Shop accommodated our itinerary by scheduling an appointment around our needs ensuring minimal downtime for our lifestyle.

They refused to do the motor mounts because they said it wouldn't fix the problem. A little drained transmission fluid they showed me was as bad as anything I'd ever seen. Right off the bat, they said they wouldn't service it either (oil, filter, etc.) because with that much metal in the fluid, it would only work for a limited time and that's not their style.

I left with an unfixed van and a quote for a rebuilt transmission with a 2 year warranty. I shopped around and found it was a fair deal. The quote also included a new radiator because Banny, the owner with two Sprinter vans himself, said he can't warrant it unless he does, because in his experience, the integrated oil coooler will spit out all that old metal and just eat up the clutch plates again. (The radiator was due for flush and fill anyway, so plus one.)

We're on the road 100% of the time - true nomads. We know that getting great Mercedes service is not cheap. But breaking down in a small town in Central America isn't fun either. This exceptional establishment exceeded all expectations with their top-notch service, fair prices, and honesty. Especially honesty. If you own a Sprinter or any other Mercedes, definitely take it to The Benz Shop! It's only the third shop I've found in the USA that I would totally trust.

SirLaffalot

They are kind of expensive and they maybe push the upsell a little too much. They did an inspection and found some things that were actually wrong, but the suggested repair was the most expensive possible, replace hoses rather than tighten a bolt. Some of the work suggested had already been done, suggesting the fuel filter had never been replaced when I know it has been several times.
@marklg , I totally appreciate that you think they were upselling you. Since I live in my van conversion and put almost 20,000/year on it, I have a different attitude. I actually appreciate when a mechanic I trust finds something that is "on the edge".

In the case of the Benz shop, I went back in later and asked them about the poly belt, which I personally inspect at every oil change and found perfect; but which was 6-years old already. They found a bad bearing on the tensioner. They suggested I changed the belt too. Instead of thinking that was an upsell, I absolutely would have been upset if they didn't suggest it. (and probably looked for another mechanic - they make more money if they have to change those things at different times)

Why do I feel like that? Because the very last thing that I would want to happen is to lose my poly belt at 10,000 feet, in Mexico, in maybe a cartel area. That's where the butterfly forest is.

This is my own opinion of course. I understand you might feel differently if you are local.
Ivan

I have not done any service work with them but I've been there and talked to the owner but an alternator add-on/upgrade. He seemed knowledgeable and the shop looked clean. Beyond that don't know.

Top Bottom