How to remove hood trim 06 T1n

garyohio

Hello from Ohio
HELP !!
I have a 2006 freightliner 25ooHSC that the place where the windshield washer hoses dribble down onto the cowl
rusted the cowl in that area and cracked the windshield. I had the glass people out and removed the glass...took the rest
of the afternoon cleaning off the windshield sealant. Then I taped close the hole and sandblasted the entire pinchweld opening,
sanded it all...Epoxy primered it all really good, fiberglassed [the small holes and this morning I painted the opening with acrylic enamel 1 step paint.
I would show pictures but my phone died. I painted it the grey RV stripe color
Anyway The hood had some road rash and i had to remove it anyway so I bought some urthane paint for it. I got the upper vent off
along with the Mercedes button....
BUT I cannot figure out how to remove the front chrome trim piece from the hood. I have carefully pried loose what i thought was sealant
from the upper edge and it is still tight on there. Are there push connectors on the ]inside of the chrome molding?
HELP
I am stuck here Any help much appreciated.
Gary

sikwan

06 Tin Can
It's all double-stick tape like. No push connectors underneath.

It's a pain to remove though, at least for the Dodge version.

• Thanks
Reactions: ECU

jrod5150

It's a messy nightmare, removal on hot day is your best bet. The wonderwheel attachments will help remove the left over goo just dont hit it too hard or you will burn the paint

wanderingkiwi

2006 118” SHC
It’s almost impossible to remove without damaging the micron thin layer of paint the factory put on these things.

I very, very carefully heated mine with hot air but it still softened the paint to a point where it lifted to expose the undercoat.

A147BCA0-861B-42E1-B337-40396B257554.jpeg

The good news is there are good paint matches available that will allow you to do a localized respray. My hood looks perfect now.

Last edited:

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
Pulled the chrome trim off my Orchid Green '04 3500 using brute force and a plastic spatula. No paint damage. What color is your Sprinter?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
How'd you match the color?
I used some Urethane Alkyd Enamel on a metal stair that looks like it will never come off. The guy who helped on the project suggested I use it on the van.

Last edited:

garyohio

I just used the Polar white mercedes color at the paint shop. Actually
I have not gotten the van and hood together yet. Hope it is a match. Who
woulda thought there were so many shades of white?
The stripe grey we tried to match up...it is real close but no cigar !!

wanderingkiwi

2006 118” SHC
I just used the Polar white mercedes color at the paint shop. Actually
I have not gotten the van and hood together yet. Hope it is a match.
The stock colour T1N van is arctic white which you’ll find is slightly warmer than Polar white.

the merc on the left is polar white the one on the right is arctic.

00FFBD83-4E80-40EE-B62C-DDCFBEEB824C.jpeg

Last edited:

garyohio

Oops Msybe it was polar white.
I used the paint code from the build sheet.
At any rate I really like the urethane...I have always used
lacquer and or acrylic enamel with hardener in the past
but this is so much sweeter.
Regards gary

wanderingkiwi

2006 118” SHC
Oops Msybe it was polar white.
I used the paint code from the build sheet.
At any rate I really like the urethane...I have always used
lacquer and or acrylic enamel with hardener in the past
but this is so much sweeter.
Regards gary
The photo’s White balance aside, the picture of your respray looks more arctic white than polar, so fingers crossed.

If you used the paint code from your T1Ns build sheet you should be fine.

Last edited:

Top Bottom