Changing Front Logo from Chrome to Black

TheIndian

2022 4X4 144" WB Low Roof
Hey,
Would like to get rid of the chrome star logo in front and change to black. Anyone ever do this? Would like to hear how. Have a 2022 Crew 4x4.
Thanks a lot!
Chris

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
Spray paint works great! Prep is the key. Remove the 3 Torx bits that hold the plastic grill on. Once you have the grill removed you'll see the little tabs that hold the star logo in place. Once you know how they work you can remove the logo without removing the grill.

Scuff the surface with scotchbrite or ~400 grit sandpaper. Paint with 2-3 light coats of black paint. I prefer satin. Allow to dry/cure completely. Reinstall.

The rear door logo is easier to remove than the front.

vreihen

2014 NCV3 170" cargo with OM651
Plasti-dip is popular for blacking out logos and stuff on cars, and even used on rims. The best feature is that you can peel it off later if you change your mind.....

TheIndian

Thanks guys all great ideas!

Happy...do you use Satin because it matches the front grill the closest?

Going to order the Terrawagen logo for the back. Wish I could easily get rid of some more chrome back there..."SPRINTER, " 2500" and "4X4."

Happy29

Thanks guys all great ideas!

Happy...do you use Satin because it matches the front grill the closest?
I did but now that I think back, when I installed my bumper I scratched the logo and repainted with Plasti-dip and took care while reinstalling to no scratch it on the bumper bull bar that sits very close.

All of the chrome bits do come off. I've not bothered though.

TheIndian

The rear logos may just be glued on & not “pinned”. If somebody can confirm just let them sit in the direct sun and peel them off.

Too late now but you can order a Sprinter without them. I did.
Oh really? That's pretty cool. Wish I had done that.

Ordered the rear black logo and will attempt to paint the front one. Couldn't see spending over $60 if TW is just taking an original logo and painting it anyway.

Thinking I might order the fender armor kit. Anyone know the life expectancy of the glue that holds them on?

Real helpful All...thanks a lot.

Happy29

Thinking I might order the fender armor kit. Anyone know the life expectancy of the glue that holds them on?
It's real 3M VHB and should last the life of the vehicle. It's completely protected from the Sun. I have the guards and they are very well done. Perfect fit and match.

On a related note, I recently added 8020 gasket material to the plastic door bumpers that run the length of the van. They prevent water from getting behind the panel and making those nasty dirt streaks on the rocker panels. They finish the top edge nicely too. Took 10 mins. to install all around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TE2XW50 - need ~40ft. for a 170, probably only 30ft. for a 144.

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

Last edited:

Happy29

Sure, here you go. It's always a work in progress. I need to spray the white strip below the topo
vinyl and make it go away. This was a couple weeks ago in Sequoia Nat Forest. It's tough to find enough open skies for Starlink in the trees!

IMG_3561.jpeg

TheIndian

Btw...the rear emblem can just as easily be disassembled, sanded, painted and reinstalled. The chrome star can be carefully separated from the overall assembly in a similar way the front one is from the grill.

Top Bottom