Votes: 148 15.0%

Votes: 395 40.1%

Votes: 71 7.2%

Votes: 138 14.0%

Votes: 29 2.9%

Votes: 89 9.0%

• Total voters

DaveG

Wow, I just read the AdBlue thead, and learned A LOT! Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I was really considering buying a 2010, but decided I'm not really interested in such increased cost and complexity. Here in Alaska, not only is it very cold for half the year, which sounds potentially problematic for the AdBlue system, we have NO diesel emissons regulations!

So, that begs the question...which is the best year for the Sprinter. My criteria for 'best' relate to reliability, and efficiency, but feel free to come up with your own. Most importantly, let me know WHY you think a certain year is the best one.

I randomly selected 2004 as a starting point only because I want a later-model vehicle...no offense to the older Sprinters out there !

Cheers!

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
2005 was the most productive year for Daimler globally
Alaska no ULSD No Alpine based oil that will even come close to a Sprinter specs 2010 that mets both ASE and ACEA oil specs.unless you can keep the engine at operating temperature full time.
Give the Sprinter a miss.:cry:
Richard

dbeyer

Most importantly, let me know WHY you think a certain year is the best one.

I randomly selected 2004 as a starting point only because I want a later-model vehicle...no offense to the older Sprinters out there!

Cheers!
Dave,

You got it right:2cents:
Any T1N with 647 engine
2004-2006

Dave,

You got it right:2cents:
Any T1N with 647 engine
2004-2006
I love my NAFTA 2004 OM647 T1N, but there are mechanics who prefer the NAFTA 2001 - 2003 OM612 over the long haul for reliability. I don't have specifics, I just remember some comments about them preferring the OM612.

Maybe excluding a good condition OM612 in a search for a Sprinter is not the best tack? FWIW. vic

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I randomly selected 2004 as a starting point only because I want a later-model vehicle...no offense to the older Sprinters out there!

Cheers!
A personal poll that popluates the top of the forum listing as opposed to something generally applicable to the forum.

DaveG

2005 was the most productive year for Daimler globally
Alaska no ULSD No Alpine based oil that will even come close to a Sprinter specs 2010 that mets both ASE and ACEA oil specs.unless you can keep the engine at operating temperature full time.
Give the Sprinter a miss.:cry:
Richard
Richard, I'm not sure if we've got USLD up here, but not sure what "Alpine based oil" is. I'll search it in the forum. There are definitely a good number of sprinters up here it seems...and we can get most anything available in the lower 48 if we order it and pay shipping. Do you think I'm just screwed for ANY year sprinter? That WOULD make me cry!

hkpierce: Sorry man! I tried to edit my poll to include more years, but can't seem to do it. I dont know what year they were first imported to the US. I didn't mean to offend, or be a selfish bastard....SORRY!

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
We'll defend the inline 5 cylinder for sure :cheers:

The later model years supposedly had a better combustion chamber/piston shape which improved efficiency but I don't know which year.

I'll vote 2005:cheers:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard, I'm not sure if we've got USLD up here, but not sure what "Alpine
.based oil" is. I'll search it in the forum. There are definitely a good number of sprinters up here it seems...and we can get most anything available in the lower 48 if we order it and pay shipping. Do you think I'm just screwed for ANY year sprinter? That WOULD make me cry!

hkpierce: Sorry man! I tried to edit my poll to include more years, but can't seem to do it. I dont know what year they were first imported to the US. I didn't mean to offend, or be a selfish bastard....SORRY!
ULSD is exempt in Alaska; but available in limited supply.
Alpine batteries are supplied by Caterpillar worth looking into for a below -20c cold start crank .Alpine Based oils! Good luck if you can find it, we have this oil down in Antarctica.might pay to look on the Russian side:smilewink:
Alaska: You'd be nuts to go for a 2010 model,Too sensitive for fuel in either Winter or Alpine grade, fuels with out a cetane value of 47 minimum and added lubricity. Tins can cope,with care, and a higher degree of maintenance scheduling: NCV 2007 -09 Will have more issues as the time wears them down.
Don't take my comment as "A TOTAL NEGATIVE" In my personal opinion sprinter on the climate you will be operating in with lack of quality fuel and lubricants along with oils means you will have a higher maintenance costs.
Rust is a big issue for you so again you have to spend money for extra corrosion preventative measures. if your spending a lot of time in snow and slush. My only real concern would be to find quality folk, who can actually diagnose and commit to a repair of a Sprinter.
Fine if your on big buck income ,but not if your on a budget.
Richard

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Have fun with your OM647s when they get a tiny boost leak and go into limp mode.... :lol:

Of course my OM612 can have possible issues with the flex plate and the gear on the exhaust cam thats driven by the timing chain...

All in all I think the 612 is a less fussy engine than the 647. I really don't read about the V6...

They all have problems with the EGR valve if that makes anyone feel any better.

wayneskid

ULSD is exempt in Alaska; but available in limited supply.
Richard,
Update on AK; this is current information from the AK Dept. of Environmental Conservation website on ULSD:
"June 1, 2010: All areas of Alaska, including both urban and rural (those areas not served by the Federal Aid Highway System) will transition to 15 ppm diesel fuel for all:
* Highway
* Non-road
* Locomotive
* Marine"
The page is here: http://www.dec.state.ak.us/air/anpms/ulsd/ulsdhome.htm

Wayne

KL2BE

If you were trying to find out about how a T1N or NCV3 Sprinter works in Alaska, you took a pretty broad shotgun approach :idunno:.
With all due respect for Altered Sprinter for example, I would hardly look to Sunny Australia for hints on Arctic issues :thinking:.
Of course there is suitable fuel, lubricant and other fluids throughout the Alaska Road System. Summer and winter!
Indeed, WalMart Anchorage has about the lowest cost MB approved motor oil on the planet with $9.50USD/gal (no sales tax) for non-synthetic Delvac 1300 Super 1300 with MB 228.3 rating and $23.00USD/gal for Mobil 1 or Delvac 1 Synthetic with MB 228.31 and 229.51 rating :cheers:.
So here is some info on Arctic operations :professor:.
Data base is our three circumnavigations of the US (45,000 miles) including five trips over the Alaska Highway; two in Winter (December 07 and March 10). The test-bed is our 2006 2500 T1N chassis with 2007 LTV camper build, normal highway weight with fluids, payload (that be us) and camping gear is about 500-800 pound under GVW of 8,500; average mileage over 45,000 miles is 23.9 MPG.
Winter Traction. On the December '07 trip we had snow or ice covered roads for 99% of the 2,500 miles from Seattle to Anchorage; ran the OEM Michelin LTX A/S all season tires...no chains. In March '10 the same 2,500 miles were 20% ice and snow using new Michelin LTX M/S. In both cases the traction was excellant :rad:. Indeed the Michelin shod Sprinter handled better on the ice than any 2-wheel drive vehicle I have ever operated on snow/ice in 47 years of driving in Arctic conditions (thanks in part to ABS, traction control and the anti spin-out program; and of course I have not driven another 2-wheel drive vehicle in Alaska since they started importing Subaru).
Low temp. Conditions were moderate this Spring with the coldest weather around 15F between Ft. Nelson, BC and Whitehorse, YT. The real test was December 07. Prince George, BC was -5F when we awoke after a nights sleep in a WalMart parking lot (the LTV has a nice propane furnace). Engine lit right up. From there to Ft. Nelson the temperature dove to -20F. Stayed in Motel to use the shower. Sprinter lit right up in the morning. Approaching Watson Lake, YT the outside air temperature on Scan-Gauge II registered -37F and after Watson Lake held at -40 (Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same at -40) all the way to Whitehorse, YT. After a night in wind at -40, Sprinter would not start on it's engine battery, but did light-up quickly (without heat source) with a jump from the house battery (to give you some perspective on -40, a bottle of Sapphire Gin in an unheated compartment froze into a mush too thick to pour...not that a G&T is the drink of choice in those conditions). Our last night on the Alaska Highway was Glennallen, AK where we again slept in the camper at 0F and had no trouble starting in the morning. I was using Delvac Supper 1300 15W-40 (MB 228.3) motor oil and probably should have had Mobil 1 0W-40 "European Car Formula" (MB 229.5) for cold starting properties.
Throughout Canada and Alaska low sulfur fuel was always available in "winter blend" (50/50 diesel #1 and #2 with extra lubricity additive). As a precaution against fuel gelling, I always added Power Service additive.
Bottom line; Sprinter works in Arctic condition as well or better than any available van :hugs:. I personally favor the T1N over the NCV3 for its much better fuel economy, although it does suffer from some well documented shortcomings (eg Turbo-resonator failure, Black Death, RSN and sub-par handling until Koni shocks and aftermarket sway-bar are added). Even with those faults, it is in a class by itself :thumbup:. You will, however need to store your booze in a heated area :tongue: .

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
2005 :cheers: Gets my vote, the 2010 may never get that status with the V6, but I like the rest of the van. :thumbup:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
....I randomly selected 2004 as a starting point only because I want a later-model vehicle...no offense to the older Sprinters out there !

Cheers!
No offense taken. All of us `02 & `03 owners are quite content knowing we have the over all best ones the US will ever see :tongue:

wayneskid

2008 got my vote. I like the OM642 V6, the Sprinter performed great in all respects on the maiden voyage to bring it home to Alaska (4100 mi.) from Oregon and got just short of 18 MPG on a brand new engine!:clapping: I'm glad I don't have to deal with the AdBlu thing.:thumbdown:

Dave G Did you ever buy your Sprinter? Send me a PM. Alaska Sprinter owners are few and far between; we should connect!

Wayne

Last edited:

mackconsult

Love my 05

It has the WVO kit installed, aluminum resonator, oak panelling, and a cot in back.

It is turning out to be a very good vehicle for us.

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
Based on this fourm it has to be MY'08 as the best.
The T1N owners are always having to tout better mileage in order to compensate for all the other problems :bounce:
MY07 owners...well...they had the luck to find all the kinks for the NCV3 which were fixed by MY08.
MY09...too few made...but as good as MY08(but MY08 pricing better)...M10 Adblue and MB pricing.:lol:

Now that I have had my fun...every Sprinter is the best for the individual who has the pleasusre to drive her.:cheers:

Top Bottom