Agile released their Atlas Transfer case today.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Gotta say - it looks puuuuuuurty. But, I gotta believe if an ARB rear diff lock is 5K, this is going to be quite a bit more. Can't say that I love the twin sticks on the floor vs buttons on the dash (a la our euro friends who also build gnarly transfer cases). But, the gear reduction improvement would be really nice!

Who is going to sign up for this? 37" tires, Atlas transfer case, ARB rear diff - someone needs to get out there and push their van! I want to see a before and after picture of the fridge, lol.

http://instagr.am/p/CfFY6XCv2jk/
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.12.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.12.43 PM.jpg

unfortunate

2008 Freightliner 3500 170 DRW camper
Since it's cable shift rather than linkage I imagine the sticks could be placed somewhere else if you prefer.

I'm curious as to how well the front diff will hold up.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I'm curious as to how well the front diff will hold up.
That is definitely my thought as well. The factory front diff is not an extremely heavy unit. It works fine in the stock arrangement due to the torque split and open center diff. But with an atlas which can drive the front and rear shafts at a fixed speed, I wouldn't be surprised if diffs or shaft flanges start breaking. Especially with big tires.

As long as you don't mind light fabrication work and custom drive shafts, it should be possible to fit any NP style transfer case using mostly bolt-on parts, assuming you have the 5-speed transmission. Of course some type of electronic solution would be necessary due to the change in low range ratio.

marklg

That is definitely my thought as well. The factory front diff is not an extremely heavy unit. It works fine in the stock arrangement due to the torque split and open center diff. But with an atlas which can drive the front and rear shafts at a fixed speed, I wouldn't be surprised if diffs or shaft flanges start breaking. Especially with big tires.

As long as you don't mind light fabrication work and custom drive shafts, it should be possible to fit any NP style transfer case using mostly bolt-on parts, assuming you have the 5-speed transmission. Of course some type of electronic solution would be necessary due to the change in low range ratio.
One thing we found, years ago on a Blazer, so it may not apply, is without a rear driveshaft and somewhere besides the front for the NP transfer case to send the torque, being locked up in the front resulted in wobbles when the wheels turned on pavement, even though they had CV joints. Didn't quite figure that out. It clearly would have worn things out / broken stuff / wrecked tires if it continued for long. With my very limited experience, I would worry about breaking stuff with this diff. The transmission didn't last in the Blazer either. This seems like a recipe for a big bill.

Regards,

Mark

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Agile confirmed that 4-hi is locked. I thought they might try and find a way around that, but locked in 4-hi kind of kills the snowy road use-case. At least in Colorado, you frequently go between garbage road conditions and dry pavement.

I hope someone else comes out with a different solution. Would love a 3:1 ratio with the ability to keep it unlocked in 4-high.

unfortunate

It's uncommon to have selectable between locked/unlocked. I think some Land Cruisers are that way, so it's possible but uncommon.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Gotta say - it looks puuuuuuurty. But, I gotta believe if an ARB rear diff lock is 5K, this is going to be quite a bit more. Can't say that I love the twin sticks on the floor vs buttons on the dash (a la our euro friends who also build gnarly transfer cases). But, the gear reduction improvement would be really nice!

Who is going to sign up for this? 37" tires, Atlas transfer case, ARB rear diff - someone needs to get out there and push their van! I want to see a before and after picture of the fridge, lol.

http://instagr.am/p/CfFY6XCv2jk/
View attachment 223711
View attachment 223712
I’ve driven a cummins powered 10 wheeler with 4 speed x 4speed brownie twin sticks. Ya’ll stay real busy driving that set up.
With you on the twin sticks. Ehhk.
Should’ve gone electronic.
And yeah the lower granny gear would be awesome, low gear even in 4Low is really lacking in the VS30.
Anyone else have a feeling Gucci drive shafts and U joints are next?

PS maybe Chad from youtube LivingtheVanLife will try this out.
He’s put that rig through some rough stuff. I’d like to see it reviewed!

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I get the hardcore guys don't ever need AWD mode, but on heavy vehicles, and folks who need to operate in the winter, its a must have.

Find an NP242D with the wider chain (rare, but still findable). Use the Jeep intermediate housing from the wrangler, and the same intermediate shaft coupler, use an atlas rotation adapter to clock the 242 correct for the sprinter. Have custom shafts made, and get a shifter installed somewhere. You will need to modify the trans mount probably.

Then use whatever electronic fix agile is using for the low range issue.

Then you have AWD, 4HI. and 4Lo. 2.42:1 low range ratio, and on the fly shifts to AWD and 4HI. No more stopping to engage 4HI either.

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I get the hardcore guys don't ever need AWD mode, but on heavy vehicles, and folks who need to operate in the winter, its a must have.

Find an NP242D with the wider chain (rare, but still findable). Use the Jeep intermediate housing from the wrangler, and the same intermediate shaft coupler, use an atlas rotation adapter to clock the 242 correct for the sprinter. Have custom shafts made, and get a shifter installed somewhere. You will need to modify the trans mount probably.

Then you have AWD, 4HI. and 4Lo. 2.42:1 low range ratio, and on the fly shifts to AWD and 4HI. No more stopping to engage 4HI either.
Right about operating in winter conditions.
Yeah that setup you described is way beyond my wheelhouse, but for someone really into it and with a full on shop, sure!
Though it reminds me of that Johny Cash song…

Did you do this?

knobVANture

Chad have both the atlas and ARB diff, he was able to walk up these obstacles with the diff locked while I had to “sprinter drive” or left foot brake to build boost first…

Chad @LVTL says he now has the Atlas Transfer Case (from Agile, I presume). And the ARB locker.
Not sure if he still has the lower rear end ratio.
He mentions a 3:1 low range crawl ratio.

View attachment 280032

grego87

Chad @LVTL says he now has the Atlas Transfer Case (from Agile, I presume). And the ARB locker.
Not sure if he still has the lower rear end ratio.
He mentions a 3:1 low range crawl ratio.
I don't think he went back to 3.92 in the rear.. What would be the point? He's trying to go as low as possible.

This is what he replied to a comment on YT, asking about the ratios and TC:

1699893150544.png

I suspect the Atlas transfer case is custom geared at the chain belt for whatever rear-diff ratio one has, making sure the front and rear axles run at the same speed. Which is just like the original Mercedes transfer case, which comes in two versions: one for a 3.92 rear axle and one for a 4.18 rear axle.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I soooooo wish I had factory 4.18 !
As I recall it was or is kind of a unicorn and for whatever reason not available on a 2500 4x4 in the USA or Canada.
If someone has info on that I’d like to see it.

I‘d like to see it available on the awd, even though the stock 9sp works well and blows away the 4x4 from a stop in stock configuration in normal driving. To make up for no low range, and running larger tires. Thinking that might reduce the torque converter heat issue I’ve seen mentioned.
But who am I kidding, owners will just push a little harder if they can 😉

Last edited:

unfortunate

I soooooo wish I had factory 4:18 !
As I recall it was or is kind of a unicorn and for whatever reason not available on a 2500 4x4 in the USA or Canada.
If someone has info on that I’d like to see it.

I‘d like to see it available on the awd, even though the stock 9sp works well and blows away the 4x4 from a stop in stock configuration in normal driving. To make up for no low range, and running larger tires. Thinking that might reduce the torque converter heat issue I’ve seen mentioned.
But who am I kidding, owners will just push a little harder if they can 😉
pet peeve: it's 4.18 (or 4.18:1), not 4:18 which would be 4.50... common to see people say it that way though.

I also wish I had 4.18 instead of 3.92 on my dually, would be nice to go a little bigger on tires than stock but don't want to lose any gearing

Diver160651

170 ext 3500 4x4
pet peeve: it's 4.18 (or 4.18:1), not 4:18 which would be 4.50... common to see people say it that way though.

I also wish I had 4.18 instead of 3.92 on my dually, would be nice to go a little bigger on tires than stock but don't want to lose any gearing
The issue with bigger tires on the 3500 besides gearing is we’re boxed between the spring pack and slider door, of course between them as well.

unfortunate

The issue with bigger tires on the 3500 besides gearing is we’re boxed between the spring pack and slider door, of course between them as well.
my impression was that you could reasonably enough fit 235/85-16, but I could be wrong. I'm not going to change size because of the gearing issue anyway.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE

You are correct. Not sure where or when I picked that habit up, thanks for pointing that out. 👍🏽
Edited to 4.18

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
I don't think he went back to 3.92 in the rear.. What would be the point? He's trying to go as low as possible.

This is what he replied to a comment on YT, asking about the ratios and TC:

View attachment 280192

I suspect the Atlas transfer case is custom geared at the chain belt for whatever rear-diff ratio one has, making sure the front and rear axles run at the same speed. Which is just like the original Mercedes transfer case, which comes in two versions: one for a 3.92 rear axle and one for a 4.18 rear axle.
Yeah, I posted that before I saw other posts saying the front is always 4.20:1.
The way Chad had talked in the past about his 4.18 locker made it sound like the front would have to be corrected, but now it's apparent that a 1:1 transfer case is the solution.

Top Bottom