June 21st, night sky..

The month of June here in north San Diego county has been a continuance of May Gray and now June Gloom. The night before last we had our first clear night sky in ages. The planets in our solar system lining up across the dawn sky could be seen for the first time. That did not last. This morning before dawn it was as foggy as pea soup. Such is life. I suppose driving out to the desert would provide the clear skies needed to witness these heavily bodies lining up across the sky. Baja is always calling me. Star gazing the dark Baja Sky is hard to beat, especially from my full roof rack.

I hope we get a few more clear nights before this current planet lineup departs. There is always NASA providing what we here on the coast may not be able see through the clouds.

Lest I forget, Happy Summer Solstice to my fellow Sprinter owners.

C-More

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing. The June Gloom in San Diego has been kind of a blessing as we see heat waves flow across the country. I'm sure we will get it here soon.

In spite of the nighttime and daytime cloud cover, I do appreciate the natural air conditioning we are blessed with along the coast. There are a few days a year when ac would be nice. The electric bill would not be kind if I had ac in the house. When I drive around town, I love the ac in my vehicles for the few minutes of relief it provides. Such is life. Fans are a savior and beat the heat most of the time where I live. Inland, not so much.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
What I found interesting is that the total hours of sunrise to sunset per year is the same for any place along the latitudes........

glasseye

Lest I forget, Happy Summer Solstice to my fellow Sprinter owners.
I always find the Summer Solstice to be a bittersweet experience. Perhaps it's a Canadian Winter attitude, but the Summer Solstice backstory also means the beginning of the long, slow slide back downhill.

I always make it my business to note the exact time of the Winter Solstice, but largely ignore the Summer Solstice other than to enjoy the long evenings.

I know, I know. Bummer. TMI. :doh:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I always find the Summer Solstice to be a bittersweet experience. Perhaps it's a Canadian Winter attitude, but the Summer Solstice backstory also means the beginning of the long, slow slide back downhill.

I always make it my business to note the exact time of the Winter Solstice, but largely ignore the Summer Solstice other than to enjoy the long evenings.

We just need to get you setup on the beach in Baja for a month during the winter. Snow birding has some advantages.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

Sip slower......

AK_Sprinter

Living in Anchorage I never thought I would be wishing for rain. But the run of hot sunny weather we’ve had is really drying things out. We have had one significant fire on the east side of town, but fortunately they seem to have that under control.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I have little doubt that it was some homeless person that started the fire… ?
we certainly need rain, in the 25yrs I’ve lived in my house everything is blooming 2-3 weeks earlier now.. a different climate now than when I arrived here in 73….

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I have seem some discussion that the California current might be showing early signs of destabilization. If it reduces significantly, the AK coastal climate will change even more, and all those cool oceanside cities in CA might get a bit toasty...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
science and facts always stir certain types into a frenzy… ???
A fascinating read on how anti-intellectualism, and anti-science killed 100k, and debilitated millions.

To double the irony, the native Americans (especial from Central America) knew how to treat corn to allow uptake of nutrients, and prevent diseases like this. But when the conquering imperialists took corn back to Europe, they neglected to bring that technique with them, and in a way the horrors they inflecting on the natives were paid back with generations of malnutrition from corn subsistence in europe and beyond.

Top Bottom