Need a shop list for FL to western national parks

englewoodfl

Early 2006 T1N LTV Free Spirit
We're taking the 2006 diesel Sprinter on an 8,000 trip in a couple of months from SW Florida to 4 western national parks and more. I had a full (and expensive) service done at a Mercedes non-dealer shop with this trip in mind. Everything seems tidy at this point except for the weird heater booster code that popped up after the service - I'm going to ignore it.

Where is the best listing of good and honest shops that could provide service for the drive train and other related critical components?

Larry M

This Forum has a pretty good listing here:

We doing a similar trip now, FL to the PNW and return. We did a similar trip 3 years ago and never had any issues. I did stop in Golden for scheduled service but that and an oil change was it. Don’t worry, you’re driving the best. :biggrin:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Letting us know "which 4 parks" would provide more specific answers (and your choice of hiways for the cross-country jaunt)

--dick

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
West of… ??? you do know that it’s a BIG Country and there are LOTS of National Parks “West” of SW Fl….
being from Florida you might want to make sure the fault regarding your heater booster is something you can live without… it can get cold even in the Summer out “West”, especially at night in the Mtns and there are many Mtns out “West”..

englewoodfl

As of this morning the CEO has 3 parks planned for sure: Grand Canyon north rim, Zion and Bryce. I know she wants to go to Santa Fe. Likely will stop in Austin to see grandkids. She's still working on details which I leave 100% to her.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
This link starts our 2018 three-page travelog ... the first page hits Bryce and ends at the North Rim.
If the Bryce campgrounds are full, the National Forest Red Canyon campground is a very decent alternative. (that's in the above)'

We hit Zion, Bryce and the North Rim on this 2010 trip...
We camped one night at Bryce, the second night at Kodachrome.
(scanning that page reminds me that we stopped at Grand Basin NP and toured the Lehman Caves, but didn't camp there).
((we spent that evening/night at a commercial campground in Winnemucca))

--dick

Last edited:

glasseye

As of this morning the CEO has 3 parks planned for sure: Grand Canyon north rim, Zion and Bryce. I know she wants to go to Santa Fe.
Excellent choices, easily attainable since those parks are all relatively close together. The North Rim is better than the South Rim for about a dozen reasons. US 89 between Page and Kanab offers the privilege of driving alongside The Vermilion Cliffs.

1655753793872.png
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.

Dick mentioned Kodachrome Basin. Also highly recommended. Not nearly so much traffic as the NPs and with an endless supply of superb boondocking sites along any of the county roads immediately south and east of the park. I took this shot from one of them. A true solitary spiritual experience in your own private desert. Nobody there but me on my birthday. The State Park is in the center of this north-looking image.

1655754619573.png
Kodachrome Basin.

Santa Fe is superb if you like history, art and food. Allow at least a day to visit the galleries both downtown and along Canyon Road.

This is an excellent (but very popular) restaurant. Especially for breakfast.

There are two museums and a lovely botanical garden (with excellent tours) that will use up at least half a day more. All in this local area:

Here is a close-to-town RV park called "The Trailer Ranch". I've stayed there a few times and liked it.

Last edited:

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
As of this morning the CEO has 3 parks planned for sure: Grand Canyon north rim, Zion and Bryce. I know she wants to go to Santa Fe. Likely will stop in Austin to see grandkids. She's still working on details which I leave 100% to her.
If you plan on staying at those parks, reserve early. Even before the pandemic, the North Rim was full in 2018 in September. Had to backtrack to the C/G at Jacob Lake. All the other private C/Gs along (67) were likewise full. Bryce Canyon NP CG were full, and the Red Canyon CG was also pretty full. We didn't even try Zion. There's a USFS dispersed CG on the north side of (12) between US89 and BCNP. It wasn't crowded, but we chose not to stay.

Last edited:

englewoodfl

She's on the ball with the reservations - kept track of when they opened for the date she wanted - then was online. One was booked within a few minutes of when she went on - kinda like the best booking positions on SW air.

Top Bottom