118" T1N Hitch- modifying a uhaul hitch to keep the spare tire?

Hunterkey

Has anyone on here successfully modified a curt or uhaul hitch to be used on a 118", while retaining the spare tire?
I really need a hitch, but man I don't wanna put my spare on the back door. Looks kinda silly on a 2wd van imo.
Not to push my luck, but I'd love to keep the step bumper too, if possible...

P.S.- I've used the search function, and I know about the now impossible to find Mercedes hitch. Any insight would be helpful. Even if you haven't modified a hitch, a picture from the underside could be very helpful in understanding what's in the way, and what is possible. If I can successfully hack and weld something together, I'll post the results.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I have a factory hitch. All support comes from front mounts and the long members attached in the back.
What does a Uhaul one look like?

Hunterkey

I have a factory hitch. All support comes from front mounts and the long members attached in the back.
What does a Uhaul one look like?
This is the Curt/Uhaul Hitch. Not sure where font mounts could be? Do you have a picture from the underside of your hitch?

1653775436325.png

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'm not sure where those bolts go. The factory holes?
Any issues I see would be at those inner corner brackets. But wheels are round, maybe they don't conflict.
The factory one has brackets holding up the front sides.
1653775944557.png

FWIW.

The hitch style pictured in the post above is similar to a Cequent manufactured style hitch. Cequent has a bowed tubular support bar (notice the angle near the circled #1). The Curt manufactured style hitch has a straight across tubular support bar.

vic

My factory one is straight across.
Good to know.

Unfortunately reports are that the T1N OEM factory hitches are no longer available from dealerships.

I recall other discussions about 118 WB T1N hitches. It's probably worth searching for some of those previous threads.

vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Over the years, I've thrown up pictures of mine.
The biggest issue was the tire cage. I was able to lower the hinge location to facilitate the bigger tire size I was running.

Yep.

The tire holder has two positions allowed in the pivot brackets.

The above is old news. It has since been discovered that the OEM under mount tire holder has 2 positions. The lower position will fit larger tires than the OEM 225 75r16.

"It came up recently that the front pivot point for the spare holder can be lowered to allow a larger/wider wheel ."

Post #44

vic

• Thanks
Reactions: ECU

Hunterkey

Good to know.

Unfortunately reports are that the T1N OEM factory hitches are no longer available from dealerships.

I recall other discussions about 118 WB T1N hitches. It's probably worth searching for some of those previous threads.

vic
Vic, do you know where the curt hitch interferes with the spare tire? Thanks for the intel and all the advice you give on this forum!

Vic, do you know where the curt hitch interferes with the spare tire? Thanks for the intel and all the advice you give on this forum!
Sorry. I'm not familiar with the 118 WB issues. After installing two Cequent hitches on 140 WB trucks I know that spare tire is ok for those, but that doesn't at all answer your Curt question.

vic

Top Bottom