Van overheating uphills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Update!

I did the cardboard test, but I did it with paper, and was able to stop the fan. So I took it to a mechanic who replaced the fan clutch, and that seems to have fixed it! I had a hill I tested as a control before the repair and the difference was night and day!

Thanks everyone for the help!
Absolutely great news that the incompetents on this forum were able to help you. :thumbup:

My advice.

If you have any further problems with cooling please start another thread so this one can die a quiet death.

vic

Move along. Problem solved. Nothing to see here.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
no T1N owner on this forum has skills/knowledge to do such testing.
You are an embarrassment. Calbiker has extensively logged data on several T1Ns, it has been posted several times for you, but you refuse to read it apparently.

I also noticed that you did not disable your fan as was suggested previously. Thus your test is completely different as your cooling fan is still operating in the unlocked mode which is not comparable to a failing fan which does not operate properly in one or both modes.

Your previous claim is that the fan is not necessary to cool the engine. Why don't you disable your fan and do that test again?

I'm am out though, I really shouldn't have bothered with the previous few replies, but the flesh is weak.

Franny

2005 T1N 158
By the way Katjek, seems like your tire temps are unusually low? I find my tire temps to always be above ambient temp as displayed on our T1N dash display.

And yes, please do unplug your cooling fan this summer and report back. If your Sprinter can survive Las Vegas heat without it that would really be interesting.

cian128

I don't know why I am replying....

106C is 222.8, already hotter than mother benz wants on a T1n. Otherwise the condenser fan wouldn't turn on in a last ditch effort to force more air through the cooling pack. almost like you can't compare 2015 with 2001 model vans?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My TPMS are mounted on the valves, when rears have tire equalizers with sensor mounted in the center of the hub, so they don't measure tire temperature directly.
As for the fan removal, my clutch is not pushing some air when not engaged, what visco clutches do, meaning I don't have to worry abut loosing HP when not needed, so I will not gain much by removing the blade.
Unless you guys motivate me to go farther with experiment.
But do you really think the known members are able to understand the issue?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
You are an embarrassment. Calbiker has extensively logged data on several T1Ns, it has been posted several times for you, but you refuse to read it apparently.

I also noticed that you did not disable your fan as was suggested previously. Thus your test is completely different as your cooling fan is still operating in the unlocked mode which is not comparable to a failing fan which does not operate properly in one or both modes.

Your previous claim is that the fan is not necessary to cool the engine. Why don't you disable your fan and do that test again?

I'm am out though, I really shouldn't have bothered with the previous few replies, but the flesh is weak.
Drifter,
I understand the temptation to try to reason with this nitwit, but none of us have been successful. We who have T1N’s, and in my case two, one of which I’ve owned since new, and the other with only 2400 miles at purchase, know better. They both require the viscous fan to operate frequently on almost any grade or warm temperature, to keep engine cooling within limits. It’s a function of the cooling system by MB design. Admittedly it is an unusual design parameter, but you’d think the guy could just believe all of us as we explain it to him over and over. It’s time for him to get a new hobby.
Gary

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
. almost like you can't compare 2015 with 2001 model vans?
I have removed fan blades on 1978 Fiat 125, I have it removed on 1998 E300DT, so the issue is nothing new.
My 1972 Prevost drove some time with dead fan transmission, but Diesel Pusher is 1 of those things that will not go far without the fan.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Here it goes.
Just to make it clear, for those who did not read it all.
Mine is 2015 Sprinter with 6-cylinder engine rated at 200 HP. Single fan, who has electric clutch and 5G transmission.
ScanGauge shows engine LOaD as % of HP engine delivers at given rpm. Not perfect for testing, but gives something to compare.
So here is cruising @65 mph, 92F, where flat freeway put 73% load on the engine. Coolant temperature 99CView attachment 220108

This is cruising @80 mph, 100F, what gave 67% load and 105C coolant. Evidently higher speeds gives better cooling

View attachment 220109

This is hill climbing in 85F weather. Max engine load (99% is top of the scale) and you can see 4th gear, where CC is set at 70, yet van slowed down to about 63 mph. Coolant stays at 106C

View attachment 220110

This is city driving in 102F, where AC and my refrigerator put 63% load at idle.
Coolant temperature drops to 97C.

View attachment 220113
CONCLUSION
about 700 miles round trip, from 1700 to about 7500ft elevations, with 102F at home, when in mountains temperatures were in 80's and 90's.
The highest coolant temperature ever recorded was 109C, what happen on switchbacks climbing.
Time the radiator fan locked the clutch >>> NEVER.
Now some replies above indicate that T1N is having less efficient cooling system, but sad truth is that no T1N owner on this forum has skills/knowledge to do such testing.
Meaning there is no base to compare, when having 20 years old vehicle overheating can, beside too small cooling system, can be also radiator stone build-up.
Like I said before, driving in CA I replaced several radiators on different vehicles just becouse of that and I know 1st hand what "green coolant" can do to radiators.
My advise when you start notice cooling issues, do radiator chemical cleaning.
Worse come to worse - buy new radiator. You should be able to upgrade to bigger and/or more rows.
Relaying on fan to cool down your overheating system is not going to be lasting solution.
Now show us 35 mph hour at 90% load, which is what we are actually talking about.
Without the fan.
And........you know your cooling fan is not locking up, how exactly?
The challenge was for you to drive the thing WITHOUT THE FAN INSTALLED.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
ahhh yes the 78 fiat
Funny story about Fiat125, fellow Fiat owner, having older MY had additional troubles. Even free-milling blades on his car would splash water on distributor cap and quite often driving via water puddle was killing his engine. Once he learned that I drive my Fiat with no blades, he did the same and thank me deeply.
Funny to observe how many people make everything a religion.
When T1N section definitely is having higher than average number of "popularity suckers" who having nothing to add to the dispute will flood the topics with their personal problems, seem lot of grown up men make lot of things in their life base on believes, not on facts.
Oil changes become religion. TPMS choice become religion, now refusing to work on van improvement falls for the same category IMHO.
1 more help I forgot about is Water Wetteners. When they will not create a miracle, they do help and racing industry, where they are not allowed to use glycols prize them very high. Let's see if our forum queens will have comment on them?

lindenengineering

Just a comment
What has a 2015 Sprinter with OM642 have to do with a T1N Sprinter of 2002 to 2006 vintage have in common.
Well, they both burn diesel fuel I suppose .
This topic comes up every year at this time as annual discussion points.

All beaten to death if you do a search by clicking on the search bar above .
It's not quite as comical AS THE OIL THREADS and there are numerous practical solution stored therein.
The same goes for A/C issues from now until mid September
THEN
Its heating problems including cobbled up Espar installs.
Then the last topic & probably the biggest overall factor is keeping the van going at the cheapest price possible and budgetary concerns .
It's all contained if you search the "search archives" .
It will keep you busy for days reading through some of it .
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom