Suggestions For New Radio in my 2006 EX Ambo

Banjo48

Hi all, Just returned from a few days away in my camper conversion and all went great, I fitted new rear shocks last week and what a difference it made to the ride. Only problem was the original radio is crap, so looking for suggestions as what to fit, not really interested in all singing and dancing youbeaut fancy flip out head units just a reliable unit that maybe does have blue tooth connectivety for my iphone. I also have a speaker that's rattling when I try to up the volume so maybe I need to change them too ?

Sockeye770

Assuming its a T1N like our 2001 316 ex ambo, the factory antenna has a built in amplifier which needs to be connected to 12V for decent radio reception, which ours isn't, I believe.
In the past I like the pioneer head units with their super tuner 111 for good country driving reception.
The factory T1N speakers are crap and an odd unique round fitting shape.
New after market speakers will need modifying to fit in the factory speaker hole in the top of the dash.
I would recommend removing the rattly speaker to take with you when buying new replacement speakers, to check that the new speakers can be easily modified to fit in the speaker hole.
Otherwise it would be easier to mount new speakers somewhere else.

Banjo48

Yes it's a T1N 2006 model, just been doing some research and wow these new Android head units certainly are appealing.
I know I said I'm not interested in fancy but my mind is changing Lol !
Seen some videos on a Joying android head unit Mmmm maybe I'm being turned.

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Just replaced my standard speakers (cut the tabs off the edges and they drop right in) and fitted 6.5 inch speakers into the doors using mounting rings.

improved the sound out of sight. Changed the head unit a while back to a high end unit (because I wanted CarPlay), but it was the speakers that made all the difference.
charlie

Banjo48

Just replaced my standard speakers (cut the tabs off the edges and they drop right in) and fitted 6.5 inch speakers into the doors using mounting rings.

improved the sound out of sight. Changed the head unit a while back to a high end unit (because I wanted CarPlay), but it was the speakers that made all the difference.
charlie
Took the advice and bought some new Sony 2 way speakers, yes just removed 3 of the tabs and used one tab left to screw down and stop them moving.
Sound now drastically improved from the standard speakers, the one that was rattling had disintegrated around the cone.
don't know if I'll bother with the door units yet, will give it a go with just the new speakers first.

Still thinking of what do do re the head unit as I'd really like apple car play at least.

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Still thinking of what do do re the head unit as I'd really like apple car play at least.
Problem with that is, CarPlay needs a double DIN size screen, but with only single DIN radio hole it’s tricky. I ended up getting a second hand one from the US that has a fold away screen. I have seen some other systems where the screen/unit is completely separate and can sit on top of the dash And that might work.

Charlie

Sockeye770

Took the advice and bought some new Sony 2 way speakers, yes just removed 3 of the tabs and used one tab left to screw down and stop them moving.
Sound now drastically improved from the standard speakers, the one that was rattling had disintegrated around the cone.
don't know if I'll bother with the door units yet, will give it a go with just the new speakers first.

The old stereo budget rule is spend 50% of the budget on the speakers.
Generally, the bigger the speaker magnet is, the better they are, as they are more efficient at converting the electricity into audible volume, without the need for extra amplifiers.
Little expensive speakers with large magnets can out perform cheaper larger speakers with smaller magnets.

The foam ring that supports the speaker cone is usually the first item that deteriorates and fall apart.
They can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of a new speaker, however, if it is a cheap crappy speaker, just buy a new better speaker.

Top Bottom