NHTSA Recall 22V131 - MB Sprinter all models 2021 - Torsion Bar Assembled Incorrectly

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
March 8, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V131000
Torsion Bar Assembled Incorrectly
An incorrectly assembled torsion bar may fail at the connection between the torsion bar and linkage, resulting in a loss of vehicle stability, and increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V131000
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Components SUSPENSION
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,153
Summary
Daimler Vans USA, LLC. (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vehicles. The shim on the torsion bar was installed incorrectly during assembly.
Remedy
Dealers will correct the position of the shim and replace the torsion bar linkages, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 11, 2022. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3VADREH.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
4 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Request Research (Services fees apply)

GeorgeKG

I received my recall letter today. Bold print in the center of the page: "Unfortunately, the parts to remedy this issue are currently not yet available."

This doesn’t instill confidence when crashing is a possible consequence of a torsion bar failure. Does anyone know more detail about this recall? Is there any inspection van owners can perform to know the van is OK until parts arrive?

Winterbagoal

"Remedy
Dealers will correct the position of the shim and replace the torsion bar linkages, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 11, 2022. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3VADREH. "
You got your letter early. Suggest calling the DVUSA number, included in the recall, for answers to your questions.

GeorgeKG

"Remedy
Dealers will correct the position of the shim and replace the torsion bar linkages, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 11, 2022. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3VADREH. "
You got your letter early. Suggest calling the DVUSA number, included in the recall, for answers to your questions.
My letter doesn't have that detail. Interesting.
I plan to contact my local dealer, but it's always nice to get input from others. I don't necessarily trust the dealer to have a complete picture.

Winterbagoal

On one occasion, when I asked about a recall for my unit, my usual dealer service advisor wasn't even aware there had been a recall. His reaction was almost comical, "why do we always hear about this stuff from our customers first???".
Maybe your folks will have some better info for you?
Good luck with it. It is a major handling component, and your concern is appropriate.

DRVmoving

I received my recall letter today. Bold print in the center of the page: "Unfortunately, the parts to remedy this issue are currently not yet available."

This doesn’t instill confidence when crashing is a possible consequence of a torsion bar failure. Does anyone know more detail about this recall? Is there any inspection van owners can perform to know the van is OK until parts arrive?
On June 23, 2021, MBAG was informed by its component supplier about a possible error during assembly of a bolt connection between torsion bar and torsion bar linkage in certain VS30 (Platform 907) Sprinter vehicles. MBAG immediately implemented remedial measures at its production plants on the same day. MBAG quarantined potentially affected vehicles at the production plant, blocking them from release until completion of any rework that might be necessary. At the same time, MBAG launched an investigation to evaluate the potential effects associated with an incorrectly installed torsion bar and to identify potentially affected vehicles. From July to October 2021, MBAG engineering personnel conducted tests to evaluate whether the incorrect installation of the shim between the nut and the torsion bar could lead to a failure at the connection between the torsion bar linkage and the torsion bar. In October 2021, the engineering team determined that a failure may occur, but not before approximately 25% of the required useful life of the vehicle. Based on these findings, beginning in early 2022, MBAG commenced an investigation into whether a failure at the connection of the torsion bar linkage and torsion bar could affect the lateral stability or maneuverability of the vehicle. MBAG conducted driving tests in January and February 2022 that included high speed cornering and evasive maneuvers to evaluate the possible effects of the connection issue. These tests determined that a failure at the linkage could cause the vehicle to tilt slightly more outward during maneuvering. The test vehicles remained controllable by the driver at all times. Further, vehicle braking and steering remained fully functional even without the connection between the torsion bar linkage and the torsion bar. However, on March 02, 2022, MBAG determined that a potential safety risk due to the increased vehicle tilt during maneuvering could not be ruled out. Accordingly, MBAG will conduct a recall for the affected vehicles . COPIED FROM ANOTHER SITE

DRVmoving

Can you share the date of recall letter you have received ?

GeorgeKG

I have been after my local MB service department for an update on parts availability for this recall. Here is what I got today:

"...that the parts department is unable to see a release date for the parts on the recall. But when they are released you should receive something from Mercedes Benz."

Looks like we'll continue the waiting game.

Per the NHTSA site, this recall affects 2,153 vans. I am the first van for the recall at my MB dealer.

Eric B

Might be a minute @GeorgeKG ... I waited a year for the electronic parking brake rear brake calipers ... and the first replacement set they put on immediately failed ... the original set (the ones that supposedly needed to be recalled) never gave me any trouble ... good luck

I am a very positive person. But still, seeing the different recalls MB Sprinters are having and the parts problems, I now am wondering what problems will the 2022 Sprinter have… and the problems that MB will have for parts… what a mess.

DRVmoving

I have been after my local MB service department for an update on parts availability for this recall. Here is what I got today:

"...that the parts department is unable to see a release date for the parts on the recall. But when they are released you should receive something from Mercedes Benz."

Looks like we'll continue the waiting game.

Per the NHTSA site, this recall affects 2,153 vans. I am the first van for the recall at my MB dealer.
Wondering if you have any updates on torsion bar recall? Thank you David

GeorgeKG

I spoke with my MB Sprinter service advisor today. He said there is no new info on parts availability for the recall. in other words, there have been no updates on the status of parts since I received the recall letter in April, 2022.

He also told me the local Camper's Inn RV dealer has three Sprinters that can't be delivered because of the recall. I'm sure those are some disappointed customers.

GeorgeKG

Update
I received a second recall letter from MB in late August. Letter says parts are now available and that I should request an appointment with local MB dealer. Yea!

Viper One

I just contacted a local dealer and will have the recall done in October. I’m having the fuel filter changed as well. FYI….They say it’s will be a half day in the shop.

Top Bottom