144 Crew Gas "Clucky" Modular build

Kevin C

Just crossing the year anniversary since we purchased our sprinter I figured it was time to start a build thread and share a bit of how we built it.

This was the first online van purchase, ordered from MB of Gilbert and had it shipped up to the Seattle Area. The purchase was okay, communication was meh but got the van I wanted at a good price. Still dealing with a missing Key a year later but think that's finally almost resolved.

We picked up a left over 2020 144 High room crew with the gas engine. I've had 6 Vanagons / Buses over the years so I know what we wanted for the build. We started off looking at the Metris with the peace vans conversion and pretty quickly decided that would be too small now that we have a family and occasionally need to seat 5 plus the dog. We really wanted an AWD transit but could only find med roofs at that time and it was just too low for our use wanting to be able to fit mountain bikes under the bed. 4WD sprinter were out of our price range, and I figured we put about 100K on our last 2WD Westy and only got stuck once and that was at a muddy music festival. We choose the gas motor as we don't drive a ton and while this will mostly be used for quick 2-3 night trips with a few longer ones per year. The van will sometimes be used for short trips and may go stretches without highway use, I also have a friend that is a MB tech that has a lot of experience with the engine so figured after warranty I've have some help if needed. So far at 11K I love the motor, plenty of power crossing many mountain passes and okay milage @ 17-21mpg it's a little better than my tacoma.

For the build we wanted a modular weekender, capable of hauling bikes, snowboards, Home Depot runs, some work stuff mostly rolls of fabric, kids, dogs, grand parents ect, it needed to be able to tow a light boat, and fit in a city parking spot. What we loved about our Westies was that it was always packed ready to go just add food and clothes an off you go, so that's what we wanted. We usually cook outside, so no need for a kitchen but a has to be very organized. We liked the builds that Cardiff Camper vans builds using as much of the stock interior as possible so we started using their template, stock headliner, fully insulated and sound deadened, simple electrical system with DC2DC charger with solar, Webasto gas heater, max air fan, Adventure Wagon Moab bed, swivel seats, building some wall panels and adding some horizontal L track, one venting window crew window, some curtains, a headliner shelf, cab bunk for the kiddo, and added some Terrawagon front window vents for added ventilation and an awning. Let's call this phase one, we figured this is good enough to do our first big trip, WA>VT and visiting friends and family across the country, less of a camping trip and more a road trip with some camping mixed in.

Since so much of this is standard meat and potatoes sprinter build stuff, I'm just going to drop in some photos of the standard build stuff and then go into a bit more detail on the items I struggled with like the electrical system, a gas powered heater, L track in a stock headliner and dealing with the seating in later posts.

Attachments

Imported

Looks good, simple utilitarian design. Can you tell us little about that fridge on the picture? (I assume it is a fridge)

Kevin C

So the first big struggle was figuring out the heater, I knew Webasto made one but there was no info on how to install in a sprinter and hook it up to the gas tank. I had four months to get the van ready for our big trip, and while I did not need the heater for a summer trip, I wanted to plan it all as a system. I started reaching out to different builders for some help and was not having much luck, either crazy expensive or less than ideal installation locations or not available for 10 months. Then I came across Mike from Van Lab, and remembered him from back in my Vanagon days, he's been doing this a while and is a bit out of the way so he had a bit of availability in April. He had a really slick solution of installing a webasto heater and 1 Battleborn 100ah battery under the passenger seat and said there is enough room to squeeze in all the fuses, DC distribution panel, redarc DC2DC that has a built in solar controller and a Victron battery monitor. Best of all, I can still add my seat swivels and there is room for a second battery under the driver seat if I ever want additional capacity. He had been running the same set up in his transit for a while which has smaller seat boxes and was very happy with the performance and no problems with heat buildup or Lithium getting cold and not charging. Perfect, I could get all my systems in one tight spot and keep the garage open for stuff and not have to worry about little fingers getting into electrical cabinets. If you attempt to DIY this which is totally doable now that I have seen it, the drilling is very precise to get it all to fit. You do have to drop the tank to install a standpipe which is PITA without a lift so glad to have outsourced this project. Since I did not have my interior ready when I was dropping it off I had him install all the electrical stuff and the Max fan and I just wired up all my outlets and fan after I got it back. Luckily for me I had drive right by Union Gap which has my favorite Tamale spot, a real win win. Big thank you to Mike at Van Lab for squeezing me in, Mike does great work and builds beautiful interiors. 6 months after the install I had a problem with the thermostat, Mike offered excellent support and helped get me going asap. This is something I have learned in this process, it's not only the nice parts that you buy but things can and will go wrong and who you purchased from makes a big difference. Luckily it was just a bad thermostat, swapped it out and all good. I wish we could have had him do all the interior but we were saving for our splurge item a bit later in the build. The only thing I would have done different if I had thought of it was to add a disconnect switch, which I'll add at some point when I go in there for maintenance.

Attachments

Kevin C

Looks good, simple utilitarian design. Can you tell us little about that fridge on the picture? (I assume it is a fridge)
It's a National Luna Fridge, their big in the overland world, it has 2 compartments you can run one as a freezer and one as a fridge or both as a fridge. It's one of, if not the most efficient brand of fridges available, we got the big one a 90L which takes up a good amount of room but has worked great in all conditions from well over a hundred degrees out and we still had ice cream perfectly frozen. In typical moderate PNW weather we use 18-20amps for 24 hours of use, add in the solar and I don't think we have ever had our battery under 80% even with the fan and lights. These fridges run on a hella style plug which makes it much less likely to come loose and fall out on a washboard road so I did install one on each side in the garage in case I want to move it around.
We wanted a big fridge as our Vanagons all had small, crappy fridges that spoiled our food in summer heat and we always had to also carry a cooler which we do not want to do in the sprinter as that's just another big thing on the floor to try and strap down and trip over.

Last edited:

Kevin C

Next up is the roof, I really wanted a nice safari style rack with lot of lights, awning and solar but at time of the build there was not many options to fit my budget, so again I went utilitarian, 2x175 watt Renogy panels mounted with 3 DIY van brackets on each side to factory roof rails that I installed from Sprinter World. Installing the tracks was easy because I had the headliner out but if I were ordering a van I would get the factory rails. I found a Thule Hideaway Awning on Craigslist again DIY van had brackets that fit with my solar panels. I choose to slide the panels back to about 6" from the Maxxfan, while in a perfect scenario it could cause a little shadowing on the panels, it has not been an issue yet as our electrical needs are minimal. The panels and awning are very quiet and barely changed my MPG so a win win. Plus I can easily add a roof rack later if I need more storage. Living in the PNW we like an awning to help keep up dry in drizzle for cooking as well as keep us out of the sun. Below is our setup for quick overnight in PA keeping us dry on our trip east. Last summer we only used a discada and tea pot for cooking, so far we really like it but need to figure out the storage a bit better. Adding that to the list of things to solve for phase 2 of the build.

Maxfan, right before our trip the motherboard fried, apparently if the fan is on while the DC2DC is charging the volts go too high and fry the board. Called Maxxair and they offered to send another board but.. Backordered great now what we were going to be headed to the midwest in the peak summer heat. I reached out to Van Made Gear where I bought the fan, they did not have a board but were holding on to one last fan so they shipped it me and I was able to swap it in time for the trip and added a voltage regulator on the fan circuit to keep it from happening again. The service from Van Made Gear was great and yet again showed how important it is choose your vendors wisely. Huge thank you to Van Made Gear for helping me out of a jam! I really would like to add a second fan for redundancy as I hate being hot more than anything and clearly MaxxAir's warranty is kind of useless, my replacement circuit board showed up in October but was ordered in July, seems not bad except this was a brand new fan never used fan except for a few hours in the driveway. I know covid messed up the supply chain but this has aways been my experience with corporate RV part manufactures, good at getting the sale not so great on the after sale support. Any way all good now and I have a spare board I keep in the van incase it happens again.

Link for the voltage regulator I used:

Attachments

Kevin C

It’s the adventure wagon v2 Moab bed modified to fit the stock headliner, I then added the horizontal l track and custom wall panels.

Kevin C

Seating requirements for our adventure van. We need to occasionally seat 5, and 3 or 4 for camping. I occasionally use the van for work to haul long rolls of fabric so I need to be able to remove the seating solo on a moments notice. After trying the stock bench, a 2 person JMG we decided that our splurge item for the whole build would be a smart floor. We bought 2 of the bigger XL seats and one RV seat for the middle. All the seats have iso fix latches and the RV seat can also fold forward to slide under the Moab bed. Having the ability to adjust the seats in 1" increments has been a game changer in a 144. The other bonus of the smart floor is it's now super easy to make sure everything is always properly secured and yet easily removable and we can also reconfigure the layout in moments notice.

While adding the Smartfloor we added the Flatline Van Co step extension, this is also a huge advantage in a 144 as your no longer falling into the sliding door foot well while moving around the van. For the flooring cover we went with 2tech2 a durable interwoven fabric that for 4 months in seems easy to clean and pretty strong.

We had Esplori in Bend install the floor as they had a great price and turn time for a our project. We are likely to put our fridge on a slider out the back door as it will fit perfectly behind the dog create and we could lower the bed to 32" or so, but I want to get a couple more trips in the new set up before we decide as the slides are pretty pricey.
IMG_1551.jpegIMG_1537 (1).jpeg

Attachments

Kevin C

They are both Campo and mule bags, so I like them both for different reasons. The mule bag is for all the food and stuff that stays in a van on the trip we have 2 soon to be 3 or 4 campo bags. Those are great for clothes and such. We love how easy the campo bags are removable and can be brought in the house to load. Also a lot of our trips have both camping and then a visit with friends or family where we”ll stay in a house for a couple days. That’s where campo bags are great, I'll do a little post on hardware for the campo bags, I need to take some photos as it took some trial and error to get it right.

Last edited:

Jackm

Adventure Wagon Bags were not available when I needed them so I made my own, I call them Donkey Bags. This is a Swiss gear duffel bag with the duffel like stuff cut off. Inside it is suspended with a PVC sheet.

PXL_20210919_202241514.MP(2).jpg

cs0430

Nice build, very similar to what we are doing. Also would like to know what L-track you used for the horizontal section. I have the same AdWag bed kit. Did you add a piece of metal or shim behind the horizontal l-track to get it to flush out with the AdWag rails? Bummed they don't sell that piece by itself.

Kevin C

Yea I wish they sold that piece also. I used the cargo equipment l track and shaved the back where it contacts the ad wagon orange backing, it’s a thicker l track so it’s almost perfect height with the adwagon l track with the backing. It’s not too bad just use a good flap disc and it goes pretty quick.

DoubleJackOnTap

How do you like the Cabbunk? We are currently running roll-a-cots for our girls, but I thought the Cabbunk might be a good alternative depending on what we are traveling with. Our build is similar - we want to keep everything modular and easy to remove and move around. I wonder if that is PNW thing?

Top Bottom