OM611 P1470-16 charge pressure control is too low. Black smoke. Limp home mode..

Jcav

but it probably is better to fix the leak and all should be happy.
Thanks Mark. Clutching at straws a little here haha.

I've done tests on the vacuum lines and they seem to hold vac. Will try see of the brake servo is leaking, but I suspect not. Also pressure tested the boost system to 1bar and didn't find any leaks, other than the intake manifold gasket which I replaced.
The only leaking I find it actually through the engine itself, i.e. If I apply compressed air to the system a bit comes out of the crankcase breather (much more than I would like)

Getting closer and closer to bringing it to a Merc dealer to see what their guys say.

Jcav

Seems that if I gently push in very small amounts in one direction or another, a tiny amount of air is escaping around MAF sensor housing. The pipes are quite firm, especially that one coming from the intercooler. Would a new hose be more soft and help keep a tight seal?
Leaking seems to be on the top side of the housing at the jubilee clips.. no cracks or splits visible even when removed and squeezed.

Attachments

Jcav

Long time no progress.
But I did bite the bullet and drive it Into a Mercedes garage for them to fix..
Got a phone call after 2 days and they said I need to replace the solenoid valve haha. To which I told them I had only just purchased a brand new one from them before Christmas.... So ? next week they'll find the issue.

Jcav

PROBLEM SOLVED!?

Mercedes said when they removed the exhaust muffler, and it was packed with soot...
So a new one is on the way. They're fairly certain this was the issue, as it runs fine without the muffler..
This is definitely something you guys suggested to check out, totally my bad for not investigating, but hopefully now it's resolved.

It was a 2 part issue, the P1470-16 code was because of a faulty solenoid valve. And then the built up back pressure of a blocked muffler meant that the new part wouldn't function/ fix the problem.

So hopefully, and please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but with the new solenoid, the turbo should work as it is designed and should not soot up the new muffler and make for a happy engine.

Thanks everyone for all your input ???

?

Jcav

So it looks like all is well.
Still a puff of black smoke sometimes on take off,
Usually this is if I give it to much on the accelerator, not sure if this is common. But if it does this, then I'll give it a little less gas and then turbo kicks in.

Thanks again for all you help. ?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I bet the van was driven for an extended period with a fault, which caused it to produce tons of soot, and clog up the exhaust. You fixed the initial issue, and but the exhaust restriction was the final bit to fix.

Glad you got it sorted.

Jcav

The saga continues.

So after thinking Mercedes had fixed the issue, it still drives the same as before.

Is it normal for the turbo actuator solenoid valve to allow vacuum through it (vent to atmosphere) when the engine is turned off?
It seems that after driving I can hear the vacuum releasing pressure through the solenoid valve.

Test to confirm this:
-After driving and turning off the engine.
- pull the vacuum vent filter off and plug the hose.

Result with plugged vent hose is no noise/ no vacuum escaping.
If I unplugg the hose it resumes releasing vacuum to atmosphere. Loud enough to hear it when standing next to the vehicle.

New oem Mercedes solenoid.

Is this normal?
Presumably it can't permanently plug this vent as the actuator would never be able to release pressure and would be stuck permanently on full boost (if I understand correctly)

colinwpa

Hi Jcav, I am having the same P1470-016 fault and came across your post in my search for a solution. Taken my vehicle to two Merc dealers and both are pointing fingers at the turbo itself. My bus is a 2002 413 CDI model, but only has 62000 km on the clock so I'm suspecting a turbo failure is pretty unlikely. I've replaced the actuator control solenoid to no avail. I will now check the muffler as that might be a cause. Done pressure and vac checks - all ok. The air "leaking" when powering down is as it should be. The little filter in the vac line is there to prevent foreign objects getting in when the vac reservoir neutralizes to ambient on switch off. Also, when the actuator needs to neutralize (vac turned off by the solenoid), air must come in to allow the actuator to release. So I doubt that is a problem - blocking the air bleed is a mistake and will cause other issues.

Jcav

I am having the same P1470-016 fault and came across your post in my search for a solution.
Hi Colin
Thank you for commenting. And thanks for the Information 🙏.
It seems so crazy that such an obvious issue is so hard to track down the cause.
Are you also experiencing trouble to get Turbo to spool while building revs?

colinwpa

I have found that the rubber hose on the recirc flap controller was perished causing the flap to not work and allowing loss of vacuum potentially interfering with the operation of the waste gate. Today I will also replace the rubber hose from the waste gate controller to the waste gate actuator on the premise that one perished pipe might implicate another one based on being the same age....
No, it seems my turbo spins up freely, but it is quite noisy now possibly meaning the exhaust stage has become fouled with soot....

Jcav

Ok, now I genuinely believe its fixed.

Thanks to all for joining me on this little adventure and giving me so much support/ advice. 🙏

Problem: Bad Turbo

It had some wiggle but didn't scrape the sides, so I passed off as not being the cause. Also being that my codes pointed to the transducer.

It now has a reman turbo installed and pulls like a champ!

PS. Code P1470-16, is still almost certainly your turbo transducer / turbo solenoid valve(I happened to be lucky enough to have both a faulty transducer and Turbo). So check your Turbo anyway just in case.

WB118

Ok, now I genuinely believe its fixed.

Thanks to all for joining me on this little adventure and giving me so much support/ advice. 🙏

Problem: Bad Turbo

It had some wiggle but didn't scrape the sides, so I passed off as not being the cause. Also being that my codes pointed to the transducer.

It now has a reman turbo installed and pulls like a champ!

PS. Code P1470-16, is still almost certainly your turbo transducer / turbo solenoid valve(I happened to be lucky enough to have both a faulty transducer and Turbo). So check your Turbo anyway just in case.
Glad you got it fixed, but especially glad and thankful that you posted your solution! Following up on a problem as you did, is the greatest benefit a forum like this can offer.

I won't go on a rant, but there are so many threads seeking help, with solutions offered, that are never closed out so we never know which, if any, solution worked.

Thanks again, and safe travels!

Top Bottom