T1N ECM aka ECU Repair Options

Needing Engine Control Module ECM aka Engine Control Unit ECU repairs may become more common as years and miles pile on. It appears that a dealership may not be able to help with an older Sprinter.

SOS Diagnostics
Oregon

SOS Diagnostics has generally good recommendations on Sprinter-source. They are not good for DIY hand holding or chatting. They do know their stuff.

Precision ECU
Chicago

Precision ECU also has generally good recommendations on Sprinter-source.

Feel free to add repair companies/options to this thread.

vic

Needing Engine Control Module ECM aka Engine Control Unit ECU repairs may become more common as years and miles pile on. It appears that a dealership may not be able to help with an older Sprinter.

SOS Diagnostics
Oregon

SOS Diagnostics has generally good recommendations on Sprinter-source. They are not good for DIY hand holding or chatting. They do know their stuff.

Precision ECU
Chicago

Precision ECU also has generally good recommendations on Sprinter-source.

Feel free to add repair companies/options to this thread.

vic
Both of these companies want $ 800 and up to repair - replace just a heads up !

mrwallysprinter

2005 T1N 2500 158"
Which is dirt cheap when you consider the dealer option plus all the hoops and hurdles you have to jump through to qualify purchasing it with programming.
Dennis
Hey Dennis,
I'm going to be in Golden this week. Do you program ECU's as well or do you send them out to SOS or Precision.
Wally

mrwallysprinter

2005 T1N 2500 158"
We do both depending upon the situation/repair but if it goes out it goes to SOS.
Dennis
For many years, my wife’s family had a place up in Estes Park and then I was building a place in Glen Haven. We sold the place in Glen Haven but have been coming back every year to visit friends.

Last year you did a great job of finishing fixing the turbo issue I was having so I had made an appointment for general service with you on Sept 5 for this year. BUT, a couple of weeks ago when it was hot in Arizona the old problem of the fan running and not starting came back. I’ve had this problem on & off for many years. Last year before we had you work on the turbo issue, I had worked on the cluster of ground wires near the battery and it seemed to have “fixed” the problem. You found nothing wrong with the starting issue at that time.

Last week I replaced the fuse block (with new relays) which I had purchased a year ago and that did not solve the problem. I took the ECU and put it in the freezer to cool it down and that did not work either. The only code I found was B1040-000 The CAN communication of the engine control module is faulty.

Long story short, I spoke with DEB last week and ended up taking the ECU & SKREEM out and I have them with me and would like to stop by and speak with you about the problem and leave them with you for more testing.

Voltage on Pins 1, 3, 5 of the ECM body harness measured 13V and according to what I understand, that indicates the problem is probably the ECU but perhaps more testing would indicate something different. I do have some concerns about the ignition switch as the windshield had a leak and I noticed some corrosion on the exterior of the switch. Will be headed up 93 today....See you today?

Last edited:

norson

I think saying that $800 is the starting price for repair is misleading. The following is my earlier post on my experience with SOS. Fill out their form and get an estimate.
I've been driving with the check engine light on for the past three plus years on my '05 3500 Dodge T1N. I was gun-shy about taking it to a dealer because of all the scary stuff written here and elsewhere. I am not anti dealer, because I worked for them and with them as a factory rep for almost forty years. My reluctance was because my DODGE is an orphan. A dealer would be more than happy to write me up, but what would be the chances the tech would be able to fix it...not good. I installed the cruise control stalk two years ago but it took the installation of the big tires to get me off the dime. I popped the ECM on Monday filled out a simple form and dropped it off at SOS in Canby, Or. that afternoon. I was called Thursday afternoon and told it was ready. Two days and done. All the drama, done.
Recoded for: Tire size, cruise control, air conditioning, plus the stuff dealing with T21 Plus 2 extra keys for under $150.

glasseye

Recoded for: Tire size, cruise control, air conditioning, plus the stuff dealing with T21 Plus 2 extra keys for under $150.
I have nothing but good things to say about SOS. They fixed my RKE when nobody else, three dealerships and even Doktor A, could fix it.

Their prices are fair, IMHO.

Top Bottom