J51 Option Added in San Diego?

Dima74

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
The 907 equipment guide dated 2019 says otherwise. Is this a US vs rest of world configuration thing?
View attachment 218285
It is not applicable to W907. There is nothing in the coding of the IC that can be changed like it is on the W906. The dealer will gladly rip you off. If you do go to the dealer with a W907 to be coded with the code J51, ask for print out of the VDoc where it will show that SA code J51 added on a such a date and time.... Otherwise it is all a rip off.

C-More

Dima74's position makes sense to me in the way that the dealership's responded to me. Like there was nothing to fix but they hadn't figured out how to charge me to tell me that yet? I'm a cynical mofo

mk216v

It is not applicable to W907. There is nothing in the coding of the IC that can be changed like it is on the W906. The dealer will gladly rip you off. If you do go to the dealer with a W907 to be coded with the code J51, ask for print out of the VDoc where it will show that SA code J51 added on a such a date and time.... Otherwise it is all a rip off.
Hmm, interesting.
Many non-Revel 2019+ Sprinter friends have gone with larger fuel tanks, but their vans weren't factory optioned with the J51 coding (proven ahead of time by the VDoc from a Mercedes parts manager--a friend of mine so I know he's not lying, especially when his dealership isn't a Sprinter dealership so he has no dog in the fight), so their fuel level didn't read full with a larger fuel tank. Once their van had the J51 added at a Sprinter dealership, then their fuel gauge read full with the larger tank. However, I don't know that they asked for proof of the VDoc after J51 was added. Asking now...
Yep, at least one friend's 2019 2500 showed on the VDoc that it didn't have J51, so he went to a Sprinter dealership, had J51 added for the large tank, and now the VDoc is showing J51 (as proven by my friend the Mercedes parts manager, who is at a non-Sprinter dealership hours away).

Bigger question for Mercedes USA is why didn't all vans, 906 and 907 chassis, come with J51 from the get go? All of these vans have fuel level sensors in the fuel tank, so why would Mercedes option some with J51 in order for the fuel level to read off the level sensor, and some vans not have J51 and thus calculate fuel level off of the trip computer? Was Mercedes just trying to get extra money from the non-J51 purchasers?

Last edited:

Dima74

Hmm, interesting.
Many non-Revel 2019+ Sprinter friends have gone with larger fuel tanks, but their vans weren't factory optioned with the J51 coding (proven ahead of time by the VDoc from a Mercedes parts manager--a friend of mine so I know he's not lying, especially when his dealership isn't a Sprinter dealership so he has no dog in the fight), so their fuel level didn't read full with a larger fuel tank. Once their van had the J51 added at a Sprinter dealership, then their fuel gauge read full with the larger tank. However, I don't know that they asked for proof of the VDoc after J51 was added. Asking now...
Yep, at least one friend's 2019 2500 showed on the VDoc that it didn't have J51, so he went to a Sprinter dealership, had J51 added for the large tank, and now the VDoc is showing J51 (as proven by my friend the Mercedes parts manager, who is at a non-Sprinter dealership hours away).

Bigger question for Mercedes USA is why didn't all vans, 906 and 907 chassis, come with J51 from the get go? All of these vans have fuel level sensors in the fuel tank, so why would Mercedes option some with J51 in order for the fuel level to read off the level sensor, and some vans not have J51 and thus calculate fuel level off of the trip computer? Was Mercedes just trying to get extra money from the non-J51 purchasers?
Can you get or provide a data card with J51 SA being on it? People here on the forum have replaced the original tanks and everything works fine without any additional programming or having the J51 SA code listed on the data card. I have looked at the coding of the IC907 and there are no options to correct anything as far as the fuel tank goes like it is on the W906 Sprinter.

mk216v

Can you get or provide a data card with J51 SA being on it? People here on the forum have replaced the original tanks and everything works fine without any additional programming or having the J51 SA code listed on the data card. I have looked at the coding of the IC907 and there are no options to correct anything as far as the fuel tank goes like it is on the W906 Sprinter.
Yes, happy to help.
This friend's '19 2500 4WD VIN # was confirmed to me directly by my Mercedes parts manager buddy (he's not at a Sprinter dealership) as NOT having J51 on the data card on 3/4/22.
Friend then went to a Sprinter dealership on the other side of the state (not the same dealership that my buddy works at) to have J51 added before a S&B tank install.
Yesterday on 5/2/22 I asked my Mercedes parts manager buddy about this VIN # again, to see if J51 was now showing on the data card. It IS. Here's what he just sent me;

907-Screenshot (431).jpg

So, I'm puzzled.

Good news is that friends with 907 Revels and STOs all seem to already have J51 in the data card, at least in my checking on this for them, so if you have one of those, most likely you already have J51.

Let us know more Dima.

Dima74

Yes, happy to help.
This friend's '19 2500 4WD VIN # was confirmed to me directly by my Mercedes parts manager buddy (he's not at a Sprinter dealership) as NOT having J51 on the data card on 3/4/22.
Friend then went to a Sprinter dealership on the other side of the state (not the same dealership that my buddy works at) to have J51 added before a S&B tank install.
Yesterday on 5/2/22 I asked my Mercedes parts manager buddy about this VIN # again, to see if J51 was now showing on the data card. It IS. Here's what he just sent me;

View attachment 218445

So, I'm puzzled.

Good news is that friends with 907 Revels and STOs all seem to already have J51 in the data card, at least in my checking on this for them, so if you have one of those, most likely you already have J51.

Let us know more Dima.
Can you send me the VIN in private so I can look it up myself? I have access to the MB's database...

Top Bottom