Trouble with 2011 sprinter auto gearbox.

Phillip Lockett

Can anyone tell me if they have a 2011 sprinter motorhome 316 cdi. Thinking of buying one it is an Australian version do you have any trouble with the automatic transmission pleas Phillip Lockett.

downunder

2010 316CDI trade van fully loaded and about 50kg under GVM which is fully rated at 3550kg. Probably similar overall weight to a motorhome perhaps?
5 speed auto never missed a beat and now at 150,000kms. I drive it easily (don't accelerate or brake hard) if that would make a difference?
I feel that it often sits in lower gears a bit to long at lower speeds but that is overcome by just swiping the auto gear lever right for a change.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
The auto trans is probably the least of your worries on a Sprinter.

The MB 722.6 auto trans is a very good trans used in many applications by many manufacturers. From Sprinters to Porsche 911.

There are tons of exambo sprinters running around with this trans and they are driven hard and heavy.

PeterInSa

re (50kg under GVM which is fully rated at 3550kg )
To me you are a bit close, suggest you check front and back axle load with the specs.

downunder

Good thought Peter,
I'll go over a weighbridge and check the weights on front and rear axle.
Don't want to overload either. Thanks

John d waller

Hi Phillip,
I have just joined too.
I have an Autosleeper Worcester which is based on LWB 316 163BHP auto, it's max plated weight is 3880kg, drives well gearbox a little slow to change up but no complaints. I towed a trailer weighing about 1000kg, engine struggled a bit on lack of torque on steep hills and long inclines, gearbox was fine.
John

Top Bottom