Sprinter 2003 starts then stalls 2 secs later!

DaveBuck

Hi, Just had with 2003 Sprinter RHD W 903 311 CDi. Will now only fire up for 1-2 secs then stalls immediately. Can eventually get going with about 30-40 secs continual cranking using jump leads from car to avoid caning my van battery! At eventual point of firing glow plug light comes on dimly and stays on dimly but this is normal for this van, which then runs fine! Had it for nearly 3 years and this is first time it's let me down! Noticed one inch bubble of air in transparent fuel tube at front of block before last started. So feel (hope?) more of a mechanical problem than electonic/ecu, would that be correct assumption? Any advice v. welcome but wary of dabbling too much with fuel systems running at 2,900 p.s.i.!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Definite symptom of air leak in the 2003 low-pressure fuel system.
Unlike the US 2004 and newer, the 2003 uses a (essentially) vacuum pump on the engine to draw fuel from the tank and through the fuel filter.
Air bubbles are definitely NOT wanted, and are a sign of air getting in where you really want fuel.

The extended cranking is (eventually/effectively) "priming" the system (filling the filter and hoses with fuel).

--dick

DaveBuck

Definite symptom of air leak in the 2003 low-pressure fuel system.
Unlike the US 2004 and newer, the 2003 uses a (essentially) vacuum pump on the engine to draw fuel from the tank and through the fuel filter.
Air bubbles are definitely NOT wanted, and are a sign of air getting in where you really want fuel.

The extended cranking is (eventually/effectively) "priming" the system (filling the filter and hoses with fuel).

--dick
Dick, You were spot on! The rubber pipes going into fuel filter had perished with age (& cold snap?) and become porous, replaced and problem immediately solved! Many thanks again!
Dave

Top Bottom