Smoking after hard stop

LTpro

Wondering if anyone has had the issue I just encountered. After a hard stop at a traffic light my van began smoking with a hard smell of oil, I haven’t had an opportunity to stop and check things out but I’m wondering if anyone else had this issue . No other changes in performance whatsoever .

NOTE : my van has a brand new engine 48k miles ) and has been running great .

LTpro

The smoke is motor oil sorry I was not clear , been working on vehicles for a long time but this is a first so I figured I would ask

lindenengineering

Well I having worked as a service/zone rep for three major truck manufactures my standard reply would be :-

"Mr Jones", your vehicle is clearly under warranty, and you should consult one of our dealers nationwide who have factory trained technicians on hand to address your concerns .

Dennis

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
What Dennis said makes sense. The sump on the 3.0 engines is quite deep, so I doubt a hard stop would put oil anywhere it could get into the intake tract. I suppose another possibility might be oil already in the intake getting displaced so that it can get sucked into the turbo. But in general, a hard stop should move that oil forward, away from getting sucked into the engine.
Or maybe you could have a leak and the oil is spilling onto an exhaust manifold on a hard stop.

auh1

well the real question is : what was the event before the hard braking … imo things went bad before you could have time to notice that white smoke on the traffic..and with your vehicule immobilised and no wind to chase the smoke .well its became evident for you something was wrong….

LTpro

What Dennis said makes sense. The sump on the 3.0 engines is quite deep, so I doubt a hard stop would put oil anywhere it could get into the intake tract. I suppose another possibility might be oil already in the intake getting displaced so that it can get sucked into the turbo. But in general, a hard stop should move that oil forward, away from getting sucked into the engine.
Or maybe you could have a leak and the oil is spilling onto an exhaust manifold on a hard stop.
Oil is getting into the system , I disconnected the PVC and it had a ton of oil just dripping out of it - been driving it around but it’s still smoking . The smoke now is not as bad as when it first happened but it’s still a good amount .

Zero events happen before , been in the performance side of the automotive world for almost 25years and after working on I will assume 3,000 vehicles this is the first and only time I’ve encountered this particular problem. I will put another 50 miles on it tonight just to see if maybe I just need to get whatever oil through the system but this is very odd - could be as simple as a failed pvc but even this bad smoking would be a first for that .

LTpro

All good points , I haven’t had this one long enough to know all the inner workings but it appears I will have to invest that time .

LTpro

Any and all ideas are welcomed and highly appreciated, I’ve not worked on this platform much at all so please post anything you may had heard that may be related . I’ve rebuilt an insane amount of engines and I couldn’t tell you how doing a hard stop would cause oil to get into the intake system , even if it is the pvc that’s way in the back top but the oil would’ve gone forward not back .I will assume there has to be something about the internal design that allows for oil to be pushed back through the pvc , again that’s me assuming that’s the issue - if it turns out to be the case I will be building an oil catch for it right away because this is annoying as heck .

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Oil is getting into the system , I disconnected the PVC and it had a ton of oil just dripping out of it - been driving it around but it’s still smoking . The smoke now is not as bad as when it first happened but it’s still a good amount .

Zero events happen before , been in the performance side of the automotive world for almost 25years and after working on I will assume 3,000 vehicles this is the first and only time I’ve encountered this particular problem. I will put another 50 miles on it tonight just to see if maybe I just need to get whatever oil through the system but this is very odd - could be as simple as a failed pvc but even this bad smoking would be a first for that .
It sounds like your rings are not sealing and you have excessive blow by. Which has nothing to with a hard stop……That incident just put you in your exhaust cloud, so you noticed.

LTpro

It sounds like your rings are not sealing and you have excessive blow by. Which has nothing to with a hard stop……That incident just put you in your exhaust cloud, so you noticed.
Thanks for the post . I’ve rebuilt a ton of engines and worked on an insane amount of cars as I did do performance for a living - there’s absolutely no way that hitting the breaks hard would cause oil to come up through my rings and into my system . The van has been running great over the last few months that I’ve owned it and all it took was this hard stop for it to smoke like it is . I also should add I still own my legal and registered Xentry and Ive done compression tests on this van , it has less than 40k miles on the engine so the compression is perfect . There has to be something simple that’s failed but since I’m personally not too familiar with this platform I’m just missing , there has to be someone that’s had this issue before . This has me puzzled because it doesn’t make sense UNLESS it’s something so stupid I’m just over looking it .

LTpro

Also the smoking is constant, I’ve driven behind it a few times and it’s never smoked at all - again being that used to own a shop I always find myself looking for things like that . When I find this I’m sure it wi be something simple , I just too a 30 mile drive and it’s amazing the power it has and how smooth it is - sitting here scratching my head on this one . There’s a first time for everything and this is my first time with this issue .

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
OK bad PVC, which puts oil into the charge air hoses and intercooler and thru the turbo. The hard braking allowed the smoke cloud to catch up to you.

LTpro

Suppose the hard stop caused some accumulated residual oil lingering in the inter cooler to advance and was consumed.
One of the things I’ve been wondering, I’ve been driving the heck out of it to see if the smoking stops . Right now what I’ve noticed is that it’s vacuum depended , when I come to a stop it smokes but when I’m on the road it doesn’t . On the way back home now I had a friend drive behind me while I did about 100 and he said no noticeable smoke under acceleration , but when we got off the highway and came to a stop within a few seconds you see the smoke . I’m about to open my computer and look at all the diagrams that could relate to passing oil into the combustion chamber .

LTpro

OK bad PVC, which puts oil into the charge air hoses and intercooler and thru the turbo. The hard braking allowed the smoke cloud to catch up to you.
The smoke mostly happens when stopped , I’m looking at it through my mirrors and I’ve got out a few times to try and listen and smell . This one has me puzzled, you guys that've had these longer than me will have the answer - this has to be something simple that’s failed .

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Just a comment
Since the vehicle is under warranty its advisable to take it back to the dealer chain for investigation. This is especially so since you paid a warranty tariff for at point of purchase to cover such repair/fault contingencies .

So why not let them try to figure it out at dealer MB warranty support cost?

Now MB and dealers (any brand dealer ) have ASI's and service info not available to the public at large, including you, and that is sometimes mentioned in service bulletins and upgrades only available by subscription.

Now two similar occurrences we dealt with this week.
One specimen, an oil leak at 52,000 miles on an OM 642 and it was located as a small leak at the turbo pedestal to block joint on the driver's side . This was creating a drip which burnt off onto the exhaust manifold on the driver's side . Only observed by a mirror and endoscope & by removing the turbo heat shield removed could it be visually located . The improvement only came light when we ordered a new gaskets etc.
The new gasket has been upgraded obviously to improve oil sealing properties.
Leaves me to speculate how many others are similarly affected?

Similarly we had one which emitted fumes at a stop light /intersection. That was traced to a L/H rail overflow port hose.

And then the usual expensive rip out, a partially leaking oil cooler last week. Not enough to flood the valley but just enough to drain out through the block drain ports and exit underneath leaving a drip or two and fumes.
Dennis .

auh1

-I broke my legs while watching TV and nothing else happen.
-i broke my legs while watching TV but earlier i felt down on the bathroom .

Ltpro .wich lead back to what i have said earlier and you just provided some valuable info .So you work on performance side of automotive right? did you increase the output of your van ?so whats your driving style? and why did you hard brake that day ? You were probably speeding or driving hard . om642 has a lot of torque you were maybe having fun all this time blowing a seal somewhere in the process leading to this issue.Im trying to highlight the timeline before the incident to help us solve your issue .Being in the performance for 25 years doesn't mean anything beacause knowledge is a continious process and to resolve some problem you need to be open mind and accept you could be wrong.After all this 25 years still come in this forum to get help . don't get me wrong im not trying to BS you and if this message hurt you my apologies in advance. my english isnt the best in the word.

LTpro

Just a comment
Since the vehicle is under warranty its advisable to take it back to the dealer chain for investigation. This is especially so since you paid a warranty tariff for at point of purchase to cover such repair/fault contingencies .

So why not let them try to figure it out at dealer MB warranty support cost?

Now MB and dealers (any brand dealer ) have ASI's and service info not available to the public at large, including you, and that is sometimes mentioned in service bulletins and upgrades only available by subscription.

Now two similar occurrences we dealt with this week.
One specimen, an oil leak at 52,000 miles on an OM 642 and it was located as a small leak at the turbo pedestal to block joint on the driver's side . This was creating a drip which burnt off onto the exhaust manifold on the driver's side . Only observed by a mirror and endoscope & by removing the turbo heat shield removed could it be visually located . The improvement only came light when we ordered a new gaskets etc.
The new gasket has been upgraded obviously to improve oil sealing properties.
Leaves me to speculate how many others are similarly affected?

Similarly we had one which emitted fumes at a stop light /intersection. That was traced to a L/H rail overflow port hose.

And then the usual expensive rip out, a partially leaking oil cooler last week. Not enough to flood the valley but just enough to drain out through the block drain ports and exit underneath leaving a drip or two and fumes.
Dennis .
When we first moved here I found out the hard way never to take anything to the local dealer . I had my Xentry packed away in one of about 50 boxes and inside a storage facility and be busy with renovations at the new house I decided to just take out gl350 to the dealer for a start / shut off problem . Those morons had it for 3 weeks and couldn’t figure shit out so I had it dropped off at a friends place and within two hours I was driving it back home . The issue was the particulate filter was clogged up because for some reason my gl350 had not regenerated in a long time . The dealer here has absolutely zero to offer me or anyone else for that matter but you may have just posted a fantastic lead . I will look into that rail overflow while I’m messing with it today . Thanks for your post , this is is some good info

LTpro

-I broke my legs while watching TV and nothing else happen.
-i broke my legs while watching TV but earlier i felt down on the bathroom .

Ltpro .wich lead back to what i have said earlier and you just provided some valuable info .So you work on performance side of automotive right? did you increase the output of your van ?so whats your driving style? and why did you hard brake that day ? You were probably speeding or driving hard . om642 has a lot of torque you were maybe having fun all this time blowing a seal somewhere in the process leading to this issue.Im trying to highlight the timeline before the incident to help us solve your issue .Being in the performance for 25 years doesn't mean anything beacause knowledge is a continious process and to resolve some problem you need to be open mind and accept you could be wrong.After all this 25 years still come in this forum to get help . don't get me wrong im not trying to BS you and if this message hurt you my apologies in advance. my english isnt the best in the word.
Thanks for your post and no your post is factual and doesn’t at all hurt my feelings it’s exactly what I would ask anyone else so please keep the ideas coming . I have not been increasing the load , the van has been driving smooth and I drive it normally . This van drives so great my wife and I decided to turn it into a travel van for our family, even with all the smoking it’s a really nice ride - I’ve installed new brake rotors and pads , new suspension, new front tie rod ends , new tires etc . This is why I I did this post , it makes no sense to me why it’s smoking . I was driving along at about 45mph and due to a car cutting me off at a light I had to hit the brakes hard and come to a full stop , within seconds I saw the smoke - I immediately figured it was something which splashed over so it didn’t even phase me and I kept going .

Last edited:

Top Bottom