Flashing engine light along oil pressure EPS ASR/BAS lights 2009

Mirza

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this form. I hope to get your experienced opinions.

So I recently bought a sprinter 311 (906) van. I drove about 3-4 thousand Kms and had to replace engine oil as the old oil was too bad. I had my mechanic fill it up with 0W-30 fully synthetic long life oil. So after driving about 100 or less Kms all of the sudden check engine came on along with EPS and ASR BAS (Tire symbol).

After a few seconds came the oil pressure light and check engine started flashing. My first thought lets google about a flashing engine light; and my darkest fears came that the Motor(engine) might have died on me. I rushed to the bonet just to find that the engine oil was not too low. Long story short after checking the particulate filter and rest of the Silencer from beneath the van I drove it with a limp mode to nearest city and parked it there.
Next day I had it diagnosed from a mechanic with 3 kinds of different diagnostic tools (OBD computers) he told me that Turbo sensor is faulty and he had removed the errors for now if they show up again I had to replace turbo sensor.

So I drove back to my city about 60 Kms and it came fine. I parked it went home.

Next day when I started it same 4 lights came again. I went straight to my mechanic and he told me a completely different story. Well he actually told 3. Firstly just by seeing the meter lights he said straight away that because we changed the engine oil a week ago it was the engine oil pressure sensor thats faulty.

When I insisted that he use a diagnostic tool and he did and told me that its the DPF (Diesil Particulate Filter). After clearing the errors again he told me that Glow plugs must be changed because there was an error P1955 which is of glow plugs. I drive back home with only check engine light that was stable at that time. Just after reaching my city the light was gone and as soon as I parked it all 4 lights came back on.

I want to cry and weep like a little boy because I can't understand what to do.
Please please please guide me.
Picture of speedometer also attached. Thanks in advance

Attachments

sailquik

mirza,
if it's a 311 series (906) Euro model then you have a 4 cylinder engine,
correct?
Can you start a conversation with "sailquik" (blue bar above) and send your FIN # so we can have a look at all the specifications for your Sprinter?
Which "long life full synthetic oil did you use?
2007 with a diesel particulate filter in Europe?
That does not sound right.
Regards,
Roger

Mirza

mirza,
if it's a 311 series (906) Euro model then you have a 4 cylinder engine,
correct?
Can you start a conversation with "sailquik" (blue bar above) and send your FIN # so we can have a look at all the specifications for your Sprinter?
Which "long life full synthetic oil did you use?
2007 with a diesel particulate filter in Europe?
That does not sound right.
Regards,
Roger
I did sent a message in conversation and I am sorry that I wrote 2007... its a 2009 I am going to edit the previous.

sailquik

No worries!
I really need to determine which 4 cylinder 80 HP engine you have.
Probably an OM-651.
6 speed manual transmission right?
I am checking the MB BEVO oil specification right now.
Probably the oil needs to meet MB BEVO list 228.5 or 229.X.
Go to bed, get some sleep.
We can run the FIN # through the database tomorrow.
Roger

sailquik

OK,
Ran the FIN/VIN # and Mirza has a 2009 MB 311 Swedish spec.
Sprinter.
It would be a 2500 in the USA.
The engine is:
MC2 Engine OM 646 DE 22 LA 80 kW (109 hp) 3800 rpm
and he has a 6 speed manual transmission.
His Sprinter is a 3556mm (144 in) wheel base.
Roger

Last edited:

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
With lots of dash lights
all of the sudden check engine came on along with EPS and ASR BAS (Tire symbol).
After a few seconds came the oil pressure light and check engine started flashing.
I would suspect an abraded wiring bundle. Certainly old enough with enough kms to have worn something through. Someone with more experience with this engine may be able to identify likely locations

sailquik

Mirza,
Not sure, but I do not believe that your Sprinter OM-646 has an "Oil Pressure" sensor.
What does the symbol or Icon you think is "oil pressure" look like.
It probably does have an oil quality sensor and an oil level sensor, but
no oil pressure sensor.
As suggested, it could be some chafed wiring, or some wonky sensors.
You may need to find someone with a Mercedes specific diagnostic unit and read the codes.
Glow plugs will give you a code but should not give a check engine light.
The glow plugs only help when you are cold starting the Sprinter in the morning.
Roger

Mirza

Mirza,
Not sure, but I do not believe that your Sprinter OM-646 has an "Oil Pressure" sensor.
What does the symbol or Icon you think is "oil pressure" look like.
It probably does have an oil quality sensor and an oil level sensor, but
no oil pressure sensor.
As suggested, it could be some chafed wiring, or some wonky sensors.
You may need to find someone with a Mercedes specific diagnostic unit and read the codes.
Glow plugs will give you a code but should not give a check engine light.
The glow plugs only help when you are cold starting the Sprinter in the morning.
Roger
Well when the lights come up. The mini LCD in the meter also shows 2 Ltr oil warning... but it is full 11 liters on dip stick

sailquik

Mirza,
The oil level, on the dipstick, is it right at the top line (full) or is it possibly
a little above the top line on the dipstick.
It's possible for some of these things to happen if your mechanic put in a little too much oil.
I'm not sure what the word for "HI" is in Swedish but "HI" on a USA Sprinter means the oil level is too high and some oil needs to be drained out to get the level back to "full" or slightly below full.
Roger

Mansson74

He's got melted piston rings due to constantly regeneration of the particle filter which results in excessive blow by gases and those pushes the oil away from the oil probe and sump. This makes the warning lights come off. In other words, his engine is gone and only way to save it is a complete overhaul and of course find what constantly triggers the regeneration process.
// Mikael.M

"EPS and ASR BAS (Tire symbol)." shouldn't be engine related, unless, as an example, the engine failure is affecting the regulated voltages for the general modules.

We may never know. Last activity by Mirza was Jan. 27, 2022. (Hover over the member name.)

vic

Top Bottom